IGNORED

Getting back into 8-Bit Atari

T.A.P.

I recently got bit by the Atari bug again. I just finished off my Lynx and Jaguar collections (wasn't going for full sets, just the ones I wanted), and now I'm looking at my poor neglected 8-Bit computer stuff again.

What are your favorite games for the line of systems?

What's your favorite version of the hardware?

I know the build quality isn't supposed to be the best on them, but I'm a real sucker for the XEGS. It wasn't my first 8-bit Atari, but I have fond memories of playing Missile Command on it at my dad's work while he was off teaching.

800XL minimum unless its a modded 600XL to 64K, a 130XE if you want a little more memory...My personal fave is the Atari 800 aka The Beast, its wonderful machine but its only 48K and there's games that do use the XL and extra memory more, also crunched games rarely work on an 800 because there's no room to unpack them..

As for games, you are going to get different lists from different people although most will put Star Raiders squarely on them..

Have a look on Atarimania for screens...

Yes, the build quality on the XEGS was due to Tramel's cost cutting. Back in the day I had a 800 first, and then moved to a 130xe for the extra RAM and although the keyboard was very mushy on the XE, I didn't really care that much. Now that I have several 8bit system, I have my favs but the difference isn't enough to say you gotta have one over the other. I don't like how the XE line put the cart port in the back but this isn't an issue with the XEGS. Some people don't like the pastel colors of the XEGS, and I understand, but you get a detachable keyboard with, to me, offsets that color design choice. To me, all of the 8bit systems look great in one way or another. If you don't plan to do much heavy keyboard use, I think the XE(including the XEGS line) is probably fine. If you plan to mod the thing, I think the XL line is probably a better choice due to a mode solid construction and that most of the time the chips are already socketed.

As people are saying, the 800XL is best for mods, a quick look at Flashjazzcat's excellent youtube channel (cash in the post please Jon) shows the installation of pretty much all the mods out there and almost all on XL..

Very good reference guide...

Thanks for all the suggestions and recommendations.

I'd love to pick up an 800XL, that's another one I remember spending a lot of time with as a kid, especially playing River Raid.

My dad was a big Atari fan in the 80s/90s and collected most of the 8 bit computer line. When he retired and moved to Florida, he gave me pretty much his whole collection, except his 800XL (that was his first computer). I think he said he even modded it with the newer version of BASIC (version C?) back in the day.

Besides B & C Computer and Best Electronics, are there any other good sources for picking up Atari parts/games? I suspect I'm going to have a lot of maintenance/clean up work on my hands when I finally get around to cleaning/sorting everything.

Besides those faulty 'ingot' power supplies, are there any other serious issues I should be aware of as I get back to playing/testing things?

Edited by T.A.P.

I got back into the hobby a few years ago. I have been documenting projects as I complete them. Welcome back!

My personal favorite is the Atari 800, 810, and 820 combo. I have all the others but the 800 is my first love. Have this set on my desk right now. My favorite games are Sea Dragon, Donkey Kong, Joust, and Qix.