IGNORED

E.X.O. [Done]

7 hours ago, RevEng said:

This sort of problem with flow control could either be a bad jump, bankswitch, or whatnot, or it could be a hardware issue. The fact that the problem with Popeye didn't manifest when Versa was used, demonstrates it's a hardware issue in that case. Perhaps it's the same here too, since many people can't reproduce it.

But a hardware issue where? The 7800? The DF cart? That is what we are trying to figure out. The fact that @john_q_atari has this happening to some degree on 3 different 7800s that he has in his possession would indicate it isn't the 7800 as it is unlikely that he would own three of them with the same hardware error right?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

But a hardware issue where? The 7800? The DF cart? That is what we are trying to figure out. The fact that @john_q_atari has this happening to some degree on 3 different 7800s that he has in his possession would indicate it isn't the 7800 as it is unlikely that he would own three of them with the same hardware error right?

Yes, that's the question, and there isn't a simple answer here. The 7800 has some signal quirks. e.g. A14+A15 being pulled up, A12+A14+A15 being run through AND gates before hitting the cart port. (introducing differences in timing between these lines and the others) Bus access happens at 1.19Mhz, 1.79Mhz, and 7.16Mhz, depending on what device is involved. Probably more that I'm not considering. Timing with these quirks, even with eprom based carts, has always been a bit hit and miss.

I only wanted to add some clarity to the fact this likely isn't a software issue, since Versa is immune. I don't own a DF cart, and nor do I have the tools to do a signal timing analysis.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

A little update on E.X.O.

A lot of work has been going on in the background and E.X.O. has now moved to Beta 1!

I don't anticipate any more feature changes to the game engine and really it's about fixing bugs, polishing things and adding the remaining content for W4 and W5.

Beta 1D is currently being hammered, battered and tested to within a byte of it's life by the test group and their feedback is just simply invaluable and has resulted in even more enhancements and fixes (Thanks guys! ? @sramirez2008 @-^CrossBow^- @Trebor).

Status of Beta1D & New stuff (recapping some of the recent updates)

• Small balance updates for W1
  • Small Balance updates for W2 
  • Various graphical tweaks (W2 backgrounds, cinematics etc)
  • New musical score for W2 (means W2's old tune goes back to where it belongs : W5)
  • Cinematic viewer from the main page is now fully functional.
  • Credits screen is reworked and fully functional.
  • Comprehensive "How To Play" section is included and fully functional.
  • World 3 is completed and is being balanced & play tested.
  • Cutscenes for completing a world have been completely reworked.
  • Managed to find a few bytes for a new hazard type.
  • Some trap triggers reworked, some W3 tiles reworked.

Near Term Roadmap :

• World 4 build about 50% complete
  • World 5 design about 50% complete, GFX Tileset about 50% complete.
  • Refining save functionality so that you can save the game separate to your saved "unlocks" like cinematics.
  • A few more cutscenes and "non-engine" features.

No public ROM yet, sorry!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2021 at 12:07 PM, Muddyfunster said:

Refining save functionality so that you can save the game separate to your saved "unlocks" like cinematics.

This is now in and working. E.X.O. now supports High Score Cart, SaveKey and AtariVox for saving and provides 3 save slots for saving your progress.

Formatting on some of the text needs some work and the "lives" display needs a little fix, but you get the idea. (picture from my PAL unit).

IMG_7750.thumb.jpg.0fdac8ab40e4feb185ba85d55fdb3637.jpg

• Like 12

• 4 weeks later...

E.X.O. Update time :) 

Beta 3 was given a good old thrashing by the test group, which caught a few bugs and glitches, as well as some nice enhancement feedback (thanks @Trebor @-^CrossBow^- @sramirez2008 !).

That means it's almost time for Beta 4..

The big update for Beta 4 is the completion of World 4, that's in and done and being balanced, bringing the full world count up to 4. I've also added in some additional story cinematics and a couple of Easter Eggs, which are not too difficult to unlock. Shootable aliens to give some added combat screens are back in and working nicely too. 

@Synthpopalooza has also been busy, there are now no less that 12 POKEY tunes in the game, with maybe 1 more to come.

Overall, considering what else I plan to add, I'd say the game is now around 80% complete content wise. Functional completeness (the game engine) barring bugs and glitches that need to be fixed, is pretty much 100% complete. Very much on target for a late Summer completion.

As for a demo, there will be a publicly available demo once Beta 4 has been put through its paces.

A couple of shots of World 4:

image.thumb.png.069a8e80effd0399d66e9d41a9af65c0.png

image.thumb.png.7eb954ba0eaf70cf7da28bec01e94d25.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing an exclusive WIP update to E.X.O. on tomorrow's (Fri Jul 9, 2021) stream LIVE on Twitch at 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 7PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

(SET TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY!)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Public Beta 4F will be available for download shortly. Just having a few last minute checks to make sure it's all good and fit for release!

Download at the bottom of this post.

Controls are per the instructions on the first post of this thread.

Notes on the demo :

• Some things are restricted or disabled like saving and loading/ (Sorry!, I know, I know, but in all seriousness, I want to keep some nice things as surprises for the final release version).
  • Worlds 1, 2 and 3 are fully present in the demo, World 4 and 5 are not available.
  • Fully PAL / NTSC regionalised (or regionalized :D )
  • Only 3 lives - yep I know, that's painful. You would usually start with 9.

Please do note that a lot of the POKEY tunes do not play great under emulation. On real hardware and on the 7800 MiSTer core they are fine, but emulation is a bit hit and miss due to the techniques used in the music. If it sounds odd and you are using an emulator, that's probably why.

The demo works fine on Dragonfly and Mister (please do flag up any issues you encounter).

It also works on A7800, BUP and JS7800 but with some of the tunes sounding wonky. Will probably work on Argon too (not tested). Probably won't work properly on PROsystem or old emulators.

I hope folks have fun trying the demo, please let me have any feedback or comments or criticism (even Walter saying that it's too hard :D ), they all help to make EXO a better game and are appreciated.

Cheers,

EXO_Beta_4f.a78

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Muddyfunster said:

It also works on A7800, BUP and JS7800 but with some of the tunes sounding wonky. Will probably work on Argon too (not tested).

Once it is posted, I'll try it in Argon and report back.

On a related note, we're in the middle of adding 5200 support to Argon, which involved bringing in a different (and likely better) implementation of POKEY. It may be that when 5200 support shows up in the Argon public beta, that we'll have updated our 7800 POKEY support, and if not then, in a release after that.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Muddyfunster said:

I hope folks have fun trying the demo, please let any feedback or comments or criticism (even Walter saying that it's too hard heavy :D ), they all help to make EXO a better game and are appreciated.

FTFY.. :D

Seriously, it is quite an incredible play experience even in this incomplete state.  I caution equally amounts of patience with timing and skill.  While it may be quite challenging at times, especially with World 3, it is always fairly done so.  Cannot wait for the game's completion along with the full blown physical release.  A lot of care and attention continues to go into this title on all fronts.  It clearly shows on many levels - metaphorically and literally. :)

DragonFly and MiSTer owners rejoice with the sound in all its glory.  It is a visual and audio treat with still quite a bit more to come as far as gameplay as well.   If you enjoy playing this half as much as I do, you will be quite pleased and waiting with bated breath for the next release.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 7/22/2021 at 2:23 PM, bhall408 said:

Once it is posted, I'll try it in Argon and report back.

Game play is fine, we still need to update our POKEY code to better handle the neat AUDCTL stuff going on with the title card music.

If there is a demo of the music that runs on 5200, I could quickly confirm if our new 5200 pokey code would properly handle those modes. We do plan to replace the 7800 POKEY with the one we're using for 5200, but that won't be happening right away. We're close to releasing 5200 support to the beta channel at the moment, and just started on adding 8-bit. So I see it coming after we get 8-bit done (which will also have the newer POKEY code that came with 5200 support).

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, bhall408 said:

Game play is fine, we still need to update our POKEY code to better handle the neat AUDCTL stuff going on with the title card music.

If there is a demo of the music that runs on 5200, I could quickly confirm if our new 5200 pokey code would properly handle those modes. We do plan to replace the 7800 POKEY with the one we're using for 5200, but that won't be happening right away. We're close to releasing 5200 support to the beta channel at the moment, and just started on adding 8-bit. So I see it coming after we get 8-bit done (which will also have the newer POKEY code that came with 5200 support).

I have binaries for Atari 8-bit XL/XE ... and sources.  Maybe these can be tweaked to run on 5200?  If so I will post all sources.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Synthpopalooza said:

I have binaries for Atari 8-bit XL/XE ... and sources.  Maybe these can be tweaked to run on 5200?  If so I will post all sources.

Sure -- if they are easy to port to 5200, I'll give that a go (gives me an excuse to try a ca65 project for 5200), if it looks more complicated, I'll wait for our internal build with XL support.

• Like 1