IGNORED

E.X.O. [Done]

• 2 weeks later...

The voice you use for the second part of the melody sounds good. I wonder if that could be the default voice that it switches back to and remove the first scratchier higher pitched default voice. In replacement of the second voice maybe a  lower melody?

Just personal taste perhaps.

The background high tempo music you have sounds great as well. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BydoEmpire said:

Finally had a chance to play a bit - what an amazing-looking game.  Very nicely done!  Need to dig into the gameplay a bit, I died a lot.

They key is to not rush :)

It's easy to die, rush in, die, repeat. 

The next demo (when it appears) will likely have a lot of balance tweaks.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Muddyfunster said:

Please take whatever time you need to not only provide another demo, but a complete game. This is already an "Instabuy" in my book. I can't wait to see a CIB version available in the AA Store. Btw I love the map that you provided earlier within this thread.?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Muddyfunster said:

They key is to not rush :)

It's easy to die, rush in, die, repeat. 

I really like that style of gameplay.  Personally, I'm just not a fan of the "bullet hell" shooters. I much prefer slower-paced games where you have to learn and explore.  Definitely up my alley.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, BydoEmpire said:

I really like that style of gameplay.  Personally, I'm just not a fan of the "bullet hell" shooters. I much prefer slower-paced games where you have to learn and explore.  Definitely up my alley.

Thanks :) I'm not a huge fan of "bullet hell" style either. I prefer things a bit more strategic and considered. Thanks for the comments and feedback :)

Please take whatever time you need to not only provide another demo, but a complete game. This is already an "Instabuy" in my book. I can't wait to see a CIB version available in the AA Store. Btw I love the map that you provided earlier within this thread.?

Thanks @sramirez2008

We have some special things planned for this one when it gets to store, all being well. Same for Danger Zone :)

In between working on Bernie (which is galloping along), I've been tinkering with the graphics for world 4 and also finalising and integrating the screens for World 2 and 3 + we have some music coming along too :)

I'm also going to change the probe sprite again since @ZeroPage Homebrew James and Tanya called it a "Space Chicken" LOL :D. (To be fair it does look like a Space Chicken!).

Thanks guys.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just a short update :

I've been bouncing between Bernie and EXO this last week or so, time permitting.

The first couple of tunes that @Synthpopalooza has put together are in game and working fantastically. Would not be possible without the fantastic pokey driver ( @mksmith @RevEng and others). Big thanks to Matt also for helping me out with the RAM player routine for the tunes. ? 

Playing world 1 with the tune running in the background is a whole new experience :)

Also the new collision system is in and working. Collision detection in the game is far more accurate and forgiving.

I also had one of those bursts of creativity and finished the world 4 tiles at the weekend.

So I think that means we'll have a new demo soon.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

The EXO team have taken a little time off from saving the universe to record a cover of @Synthpopalooza 's fantastic EXO World 1 theme.

Here for one night only, the EXO Band!

(Fire to start/restart, fire 2 to stop).

Please note : This doesn't play well under emulation on JS7800, A7800. BupSystem doesn't sound too bad, haven't tried Argon.

For best results, use real hardware. Works fine on DF with Pokey/PokeyMax, I expect it will be fine on Concerto + Pokey.

Maybe I'll include this as an option in E.X.O. so you can play through the in-game tunes like in Turrican:)

EXO Band World 1a.78b.a78

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Muddyfunster said:

Please note : This doesn't play well under emulation on JS7800, A7800. BupSystem doesn't sound too bad, haven't tried Argon.

It runs in Argon, but I suspect it doesn't sound right. I don't have my Dragonfly to compare to yet (order just got processed earlier this week).

We are aware of improvements we need to make to some of the AUDCTL variants of POKEY.

The POKEY code will get re-used in the 800 and 5200 cores, so if it needs work, it will get there eventually ;-) 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Muddyfunster said:

For best results, use real hardware. Works fine on DF with Pokey/PokeyMax, I expect it will be fine on Concerto + Pokey.

Sadly they just stand there with my Concerto + Pokey. It will reset with button two but no matter how many times I press the first button they don't want to play their song. ?

- James

36 minutes ago, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

Sadly they just stand there with my Concerto + Pokey. It will reset with button two but no matter how many times I press the first button they don't want to play their song. ?

- James

Thanks James, there's probably something to fix it, I've not made anything "concerto friendly" so I'll need to check on specific tweaks or adjustments.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Muddyfunster said:

Thanks James, there's probably something to fix it, I've not made anything "concerto friendly" so I'll need to check on specific tweaks or adjustments.

That's excellent news, I'll be showing it on tomorrow night's show. It works really well on BupSystem so I'll demo it using that if you're not able to tweak it for the Concerto in time.

It really reminds me of this fun 1986 music demo on the C64. ?

- James

• Like 1