IGNORED

E.X.O. [Done]

5 hours ago, Aragorn7 said:

Unfortunately it's not a firmware issue. It's a chip issue. The native chip can't handle A7800 emulation. Atari actually tried it and the chip couldn't handle it. My guess is they settled on the hardware before evaluating their actual emulation needs or they simply weren't looking much beyond their own carts. Regardless, any homebrew devs for the 2600+ will have to stay within its limitations.

Well, this is true, but it's not so much that it can't handle emulating a 7800 properly, so much as A7800 is MAME-based, and MAME these days is incredibly inefficient for actual gaming. It's way more accurate, but it also requires fairly beefy horsepower because of it's inefficiency. My guess here is they went with a board with a chip at a low enough price point where they can sell it for $129 and not lose money.

11 minutes ago, Defender_2600 said:

@Muddyfunster

Beautiful box. But above all spectacular work with gameplay and graphics. This game is without a doubt one of the best 7800 Homebrews games and one that you would definitely want to show to someone who is new to 7800. Congratulations and thank you. :)

Thanks for your kind words :) !

2 hours ago, Aragorn7 said:

The 2600+ merely dumps the rom for the emulation software to read in comparison to the console actually communicating with the cart. Software emulation allows for save states and that is one of its benefits. The real 7800, however, can play huge games because the cart supplies the appropriate memory. If a Dev has done all of his beta testing, the finished product works great without any latency issues that might show themselves in emulation software. The original hardware can also use Multi-carts. There just two different animals.

I'm sure if it is at all possible Atari and Muddyvision  will try to make E.X.O work, but as Muddyfunster has just told you the 2600+ uses Prosystem emulation. E.X.O was designed to work with a7800 emulation and is far superior for modern homebrews. That's why he said E.X.O. will not be supported to run using Prosystem emulation, which is older and problematic.

I'm really not trying to be a killjoy. I would love for nothing other than for the 2600+ to do all that you want it to. Perhaps miraculously it will, but I'm just trying to educate you to the limitations inherent in the 2600+ design; so you will not set your expectations too high. That can only lead to severe disappointment. I'm actually considering getting the 2600+ myself for the HDMI connection, but after much research I know what it can and can't do. It should have no problems playing my old carts. 🙂

Respectfully, we'll only know what it can and can't do when we get our hands on in.

Maybe it never will run modern homebrews, but from what I've read we can't be certain of that, especially if it's going to be a supported platform with firmware updates.

Either way, I definitely want to play E.X.O!

2 hours ago, Defender_2600 said:

Best we can hope for is Atari integrating the updates readily available via JS7800 posted sources, which several from the community have assisted with updating.

I was looking at features list and noticed it has features of the XM. If Atari decides to add that feature their version the Prosystem emulator, might make it of more a selling point for the 2600+.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2023 at 8:00 PM, Bakasama said:

I was looking at features list and noticed it has features of the XM. If Atari decides to add that feature their version the Prosystem emulator, might make it of more a selling point for the 2600+.

The bulk of the appeal of the XM, is simply what was the original intent of the expansion module back in 2008.  For the most part, it was a conglomerate of cartridge based hardware for the 7800, akin to what contemporary consoles had available to them back in the day.  However, instead of including the hardware inside of each and every cart, it would be centralized to one pass-thru device to keep costs down. 

15 years later, the advancements in technology and items that did not exist, or resources that were not reasonably available, is hardly the case now, as the cart-by-cart inclusion isn't the resource crushing expense it was then.  FPGA simulation of sound chips is one of the significant advancements we have seen among other things.

The XM was also perceived as a way to encourage development from a hardware angle to additionally include programming tools, since the external software (tool) side was lacking.  There was no 7800basic, 7800basic Guide, cc7800, Atari 7800 Development Wiki, or Atari Dev Studio back then either.  Minus items like the SIO port and keyboard inclusion, the rest of XM can be considered possible mapper configurations, which quite frankly have been arguably exceeded nowadays from what was planned with the unit anyhow, when items like Bankset (Attack of the Petscii Robots) and Souper (Rikki & Vikki) 'mappers' are a part of the conversation.

In 2008, 'homebrewing' was still in its infancy on the 7800 with games like Combat 1990.  

Just look at E.X.O...

-256K size.

-Intergalactic adventure spread over five worlds.

-110+ screens full of enemies, traps, and puzzles.

-A full 15 track POKEY musical score.

-Cutscenes.

-Five bosses to defeat.

-Secrets to unlock and much more.

No XM required.  It's all included in the cart.  Cannot wait for it to hit the store!

• Like 7

On 10/13/2023 at 12:38 PM, Muddyfunster said:

You may get that wish :)

Wow! You weren't kidding. I never dreamed I could get A.R.T.I and E.X.O on the Atari VCS this soon. I couldn't buy them fast enough. I've only had a chance to try out both briefly, but they are both great. E.X.O. for sure is going to be one of if not the best video game of it's genre for the Atari 7800. I can hardly wait to spend more time with it. Kudos.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think it's great that one of the best homebrew games to hit the system is now available on VCS.  I feel that more people need to see the amazing things that programmers like MuddyFunster is getting out of the 7800. 

Of course I'll still get it on the 7800 but I'm glad to have a way to play it until then!  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 10/16/2023 at 1:32 AM, Silver Back said:

I think it's great that one of the best homebrew games to hit the system is now available on VCS.  I feel that more people need to see the amazing things that programmers like MuddyFunster is getting out of the 7800. 

Of course I'll still get it on the 7800 but I'm glad to have a way to play it until then!  

I'm planning on getting the boxed cart for my 7800 as well, but in the meantime have you found a tutorial or pilot manual while playing E.X.O, on the VCS-800? I haven't been able to find one in game and in lieu of that a pdf manual would sure be nice to better play E.X.O. right now. 🙂

2 hours ago, Aragorn7 said:

I'm planning on getting the boxed cart for my 7800 as well, but in the meantime have you found a tutorial or pilot manual while playing E.X.O, on the VCS-800? I haven't been able to find one in game and in lieu of that a pdf manual would sure be nice to better play E.X.O. right now. 🙂

:ponder:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Trebor said:

Well now. Don't I feel dumb! After selecting "Start" I never even noticed the reticle. I just saw "Launch"; hit the fire button and away I went. As in other VCS games I tried to use the Menu or Atari Button to select Play instructions and/or other options:sound, music, display, etc. MuddyFunster just made it too easy, if I just had eyes. 🙄 At any rate, Thanks, Trebor for helping the old man out.

Edited by Aragorn7
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Aragorn7 said:

Well now. Don't I feel dumb! After selecting "Start" I never even noticed the reticle. I just saw "Launch"; hit the fire button and away I went. As in other VCS games I tried to use the Menu or Atari Button to select Play instructions and/or other options:sound, music, display, etc. MuddyFunster just made it too easy, if I just had eyes. 🙄 At any rate, Thanks, Trebor for helping the old man out.

Be sure to check out the CINEMATICS, CREDITS, and especially, the LOAD+SAVE sections too.

image.png.94d5d78f572922bfc0904afe2a7632a2.png

image.png.7bfe84f03e227014a015c1cedecc999d.png

image.png.fffe176fe9498e26eb311ee4ab04083c.png

• Like 4

@Muddyfunster Congratulations on your recent releases of E.X.O. and A.R.T.I. at this years PRGE. Additional congrats are in order for having Tyre Trax, Dare Devil, A.R.T.I. and E.X.O. released via the Atari VCS800 Store. Keep up the good work.😉

IMG_1770.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just a quick note for anyone running E.X.O. via 7800GD. 

I recommend that you disable the break function.

On the 7800GD, select your EXO rom and go to GAME OPTIONS and set break to BREAK DISABLED.

This fixes two things : 

1) Some screens get some minor slowdown with BREAK ENABLED (mostly on boss fights).

2) Atari VOX speech on Boss fights doesn't work with BREAK ENABLED . 

• Like 6

• 1 month later...

ZeroPage Homebrew presents...

20231212-AtariAgeDay-E.X.O.thumb.jpg.2936cceac7d3f758481afccae220c3bb.jpg

Sun Dec 17, 2023 @ 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 8PM GMT
WATCH LIVE: https://twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

WATCH LATER: https://youtube.com/zeropagehomebrew/

On Sunday December 17, 2023 ZeroPage Homebrew will be interviewing the developers of every single new physical release coming to the AtariAge store! Join us LIVE on Twitch while we unbox all the new Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, Jaguar and Lynx games and talk with the incredibly talented Atari community members about their games! Get your questions ready for the devs and following along in the Twitch chat as we pop in each of the 22 new releases into our Atari consoles!

NEW GAME RELEASES

Atari 2600: Berry Fun!, Bot&Tom, Caramujo, ElectroBall, Game of the Bear 2 Much To BearImmunity!, Penult, Quantum Tunnel, Robot Zed

Atari 5200: Scorch

Atari 7800: A.R.T.I., Death Merchant, E.X.O., Harpy's Curse, Millie and Molly, Oozy the Goo - Gaiden, Plumb Luck DX

Atari Jaguar: Defender of the Crown, Novagen Volume 1, Rocket Ranger
Atari Lynx: Growing Ties Deluxe, Odynexus

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

In E.X.O. I did add a bunch of easter eggs and stuff to unlock. I'll explain how you can find some of them over the next week or so. Any unlocked easter eggs or surprises found, can be saved in your progress so you keep them unlocked :) 

If you don't want to see, don't open the Spoiler Tag :) 

Spoiler

If you repeatedly (and I mean lots and lots) turn the lights on and off in the barracks screens (switch near the door), you unlock a model asteroid that sits on top of the lockers, clicking on it gives information about the EXO Base). 

• Like 2