IGNORED

All options greyed out when trying to partition

English Invader

I'm using FS-UAE to prep SD and CF cards for use with a real Amiga.  When I boot up with UAE and the install ADF for WB3.1, the WB recognises the card I linked up in the launcher but if I single click the desktop icon and then right click and instruct to format, it just says "can't open drive DH0".  If I go into HD Tools, all the options are greyed out (including the Change Drive Type option).

At the same time, if I skip the format and partitioning process and just install WB, I'm able to do so just fine and get a fully bootable desktop environment on the card in UAE.  Same deal with Classic WB.  I tried booting the CF card on my A600 which is what I had to hand but I only got the purple disk screen.  I don't know if that's because the card wasn't partitioned or if it's because the CF card was incompatible.

Is it worth prepping the SD card for my A1200 like this or would it be a waste of time?  If it's a waste of time, how do I activate the format and partition options?

Are you accessing the card as a directory, or as a hard drive? An SD card should not show up as a hard drive that's ready to have files copied to it unless it's already been prepped for Amiga use. If it shows up in Workbench at that point, it's not a real hard drive, it's just the PC drive mounted on the Amiga side.

Prepping a drive in FS-UAE isn't something I've done myself, but in WinUAE you need to mount the card as a hard drive device, and you can only do that when you run WinUAE as an administrator. Then you use HDToolbox to create the partitions required and reboot the Amiga. Only then can you format the partitions, and only after formatting can you install the OS on it.

Most of my drive prepping though I just do on the actual Amiga for simplicity and so I know it'll work on that setup, but using UAE can be a time saver on the other hand.

I dug out one of my old XP laptops and had a go with WinUAE earlier today.  I've been a full time Linux user since 2014.

WinUAE was able to recognise the Amiga prepped CF card I bought from AmigaKit.  I used the emulator to install WB 2.1 and it successfully booted on my A600 so my A600 finally has a working hard drive.

The next job is to format and partition the SD card I plan to use with the 1200.  I'm planning to use Classic WB for that one so it's more WHDLoad friendly.