IGNORED

SIDE 3 preorder

lotharek

On 10/7/2020 at 1:26 AM, Roydea6 said:

The only complaint is the BRIGHT green LED...  I might have to put a black label over the LED window.

I agree with you Roy, having just received my production cart. It is impossible to make out the red HDD activity LED when the green one is lit. The pending loader update therefore turns the green LED off by default and just flashes it when the SD card has been removed.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday I received the cart.

I agree on the fact the green led should be turned off.

On 600/800XL machines it's really annoying.

I am glad it could be done with an update.

I didn't have the time to test the cart yet but I noticed some CAR don't work.

I am sure the compatibility will improve with updates.

29 minutes ago, candle said:

IGS to STL conversion can be done with FreeCAD, also you can make all nessesary modifications there.

Thanks, yes i could indeed..but i wanted to know if the model for Side3 was already available (without having to modify an existing shell model).

I'll wait until Lotharek is back then :)

I received my Side3 and I notice the loader has some issues. I have a standard collection of games I put on my other Side carts. It's a 68 MB collection of about 3,000 games. The top directory has 61 directories. The side loader only shows about 1/2 of them. Sometimes on a restart it will show them all but as I navigate and return to the top it's back to 1/2. Each directory contains about 50 or so .xex files. Sometimes I only see about 1/2 of those as well. 

Frank

6 minutes ago, Frankie said:

The top directory has 61 directories. The side loader only shows about 1/2 of them.

That sounds like an IO error. The loader has been tested with directories containing 800+ filenames and no issues found. The most common reason for a directory to be truncated is when a bogus end of directory marker is found.

That said: if you can image the card, I will gladly test it here. If you have a different SD card, you could perhaps test it with a similar density of filenames.

Edited by flashjazzcat

22 minutes ago, Philsan said:

Should I start tests or is it better to wait your upcoming new firmware?

Entirely up to you Phil: I am sure any information you provide will be helpful, and I hope to release the update tonight or tomorrow morning. I will list all bug fixes when I release the update, but as far as cartridge types are concerned, only Sic! has been subject to fixes. The change Candle eventually suggested for Sic! - although it seemed to work at first sight - was actually only half the story, and I just spent the last hour finding the second bug in Sic! emulation (namely, one which prevented ROM at $A000-$BFFF being disabled at all: well spotted... not). Fortunately, since I was able to figure that one out myself, the update will be out in hours rather than days. ;)

Sincere thanks to Pawel Mandes for reporting the initial issue and testing updates at short notice.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, flashjazzcat said:

That sounds like an IO error. The loader has been tested with directories containing 800+ filenames and no issues found. The most common reason for a directory to be truncated is when a bogus end of directory marker is found.

That said: if you can image the card, I will gladly test it here. If you have a different SD card, you could perhaps test it with a similar density of filenames.

I used a different card and re-copied the files and all is working!

• Like 1