IGNORED

SIDE 3 preorder

lotharek

11 hours ago, candle said:

side3 is guarateed to work with a power supply giving anything in range of 4.2-5.5V - this was tested, athough ripple voltage above 0.2V should not be present

Could also be that the PSU is just very noisy (as are a lot of modern switching PSU's)

I'm using switching mode power supply all the time -if it's of decent quality, and not older than 2-3 years it should pose no problems, older ones, especially if used on day-by-day basis, tend to have dryied out electrolitics, resulting in excessive ripple voltage that tends to stabilise when the psu gets to its working temperature, but results are intermediate faults of all sorts

• Like 1

On 10/24/2020 at 8:30 AM, candle said:

Some people, that are known to copy other's people work and sell it prevent me from releasing schematics for SIDE3 hardware - this was the case for SIDE2 that was cloned, Ultimate1MB, and even VBXE

I don't like this anymore than any of you, and I'm all for the right to repair, but some people don't know how to behave in modern world, thus my decision

I noticed the other day that the RetroTink is being cloned and is available on Aliexpress now.  

As a victim of this sort of thing in the past I know how it feels when it happens. When it happened to me I went the other way in response and released all the source files of the project, making it easy for anyone to replicate and hopefully killing the market for the cloner. I still mentally flip-flop between keeping everything private and sharing it all. My desire for people to enjoy the stuff I make is in conflict with the desire to make a little cash to cover the development costs. Relying on donations is not a good way to raise funds, almost no one donates.

41 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

I noticed the other day that the RetroTink is being cloned and is available on Aliexpress now.  

As a victim of this sort of thing in the past I know how it feels when it happens. When it happened to me I went the other way in response and released all the source files of the project, making it easy for anyone to replicate and hopefully killing the market for the cloner. I still mentally flip-flop between keeping everything private and sharing it all. My desire for people to enjoy the stuff I make is in conflict with the desire to make a little cash to cover the development costs. Relying on donations is not a good way to raise funds, almost no one donates.

I tend to donate to stuff that is open source, but not everyone does for sure.  But I can see holding stuff in until you have made up for development costs and some profit and once the purchases died down, opening it up later. 

The terrible thing is when someone is working on a project forever that is closed up, and then suddenly pass from this universe, and all that work is forever lost. 

7 minutes ago, leech said:

But I can see holding stuff in until you have made up for development costs and some profit and once the purchases died down, opening it up later. 

This is what TF did with his Amiga accelerator board, he was going to open the hardware after a few months and it got cloned anyway.

7 minutes ago, leech said:

I tend to donate to stuff that is open source

You are one of the very few, I'd say much less than 1% of people who use my stuff donate. This for example https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4166355 has yet for get a single donation but I get mail about it all the time.

2 minutes ago, ZuluGula said:

Is hardware or software piracy such a big issue in Atari 8 bit community? I have been here for 6 years and haven't noticed such problem. Quite opposite, especially this group of people seems to be very supportive to creators.

I wouldn't think so, but on the flip side I'm not surprised AT ALL about TF's stuff being cloned.  The Amiga community is filled with so many (I'll self-filter).  I really wish it weren't true, and I don't know why there are certain communities that are so vicious with each other.  Amiga, Jaguar and I've heard Neo-Geo are some of the communities that I've seen are just bitter about certain things.  I kind of understand the Amiga and Jaguar ones, as the owning companies basically failed the users in multiple ways, and especially with the Amiga where it was very beloved system for many years, and just dumped and then passed around to so many different companies, and lawsuits about who owns the IP keep running indefinitely... Neo Geo, I've never paid much attention to, but then it was a console version of an Arcade platform where carts cost 250 when they were first released....

On 10/29/2020 at 8:29 PM, dostrow said:

Welp...I got it working....and how is somewhat annoying. I had purchased a new power supply from lotharek when I bought the U1MB and the SIDE3. The moment it came in the mail I switched to using it exclusively. When I switch back to using the original power supply from the mid 80s...everything works. Swap out to the power supply I bought from lotharek and the cart no longer is detected.

Well my saga is not over, it has started to misbehave again and only works 1 out of 5 or so boots, when it doesn't work I usually get a blank screen but sometimes get a messed up SIDE3 loader screen that eventually freezes. The next vexing thing is that I spent some time today getting the 800XL I have working again (it has no U1MB) and tried the SIDE3 in it  and in the 800XL it works 100% of the time. I've tried several other carts in my 130XE beyond the DigDug I got and they all work just fine... So now I'm lost and don't know if I should be RMAing the SIDE3 or what even to try next.

7 hours ago, dostrow said:

So now I'm lost and don't know if I should be RMAing the SIDE3 or what even to try next.

Sounds like a problem with the host machine to me, which isn't to say there's anything wrong with the XE, but there's something about it which SIDE3 simply doesn't like. I have direct personal experience of this (re: 74LS08 swap discussed previously). I don't think an RMA will accomplish anything if the cartridge works 100 per cent of the time on the 800XL.

In other news: first of two rather informal videos covering usage of SIDE3 here:

• Like 9

8 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

Sounds like a problem with the host machine to me, which isn't to say there's anything wrong with the XE, but there's something about it which SIDE3 simply doesn't like. I have direct personal experience of this (re: 74LS08 swap discussed previously). I don't think an RMA will accomplish anything if the cartridge works 100 per cent of the time on the 800XL.

Any tips on what to try next, the system is running a brand new 74LS08 purchased from Mouser and I'm happy to order a 74F08 and try it if you think this gate might still be the problem. I'm trying to avoid a wild goose chase as most of the chips on the 130XE aren't socketed, outside of GTIA which I socketed to install a SOPHIA and the 74LS08 at your recommendation the only other socket on the system is under ANTIC and was clearly done at the factory.