IGNORED

SIDE 3 preorder

lotharek

12 hours ago, ivop said:

TL;DR version:

1. Ultimate Cart and Uno Cart have a modern Micro Controller on board that does most of the work. Mostly programmed in C and/or ARM assembly.

2. SIDE2 and 3 have a direct connection to the storage media and do most things natively on the Atari. Mostly programmed in 6502 assembly. (ignoring the FPGA part ;) )

FJC and Candle like 2 because it is more challenging and closer to the Atari DIY tinkering spirit.

It's like with DraonCart and FujiNet ... it gives great door-opening devices to the new Atari bit reality, Draon performs certain tasks on the Atari side, which makes FujiNet light years more modern ...

maybe it is worth switching to a new technology in this case also?

10 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

Altirra can convert them (or at least save the mounted ROM as a CAR file), but some human intervention may be required since Altirra also has to guess as to the banking scheme based on size and heuristic analysis.

Do you want to send me a ZIP of your ROM/BIN files and the Synassembler CAR file? The assembler - IIRC - is just a basic 8K ROM with no banking at all, so should not present any issues.

I just tried Atari800MacX and it has an option to create a .car file from a .rom file. I just need to pick the proper type. Now it's just a matter of running the .bin files through the convert process.

And as @MrFish mentioned, the synassembler.car is for Atari 800, so that's why it didn't load on my 800xl.

Thanks!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KPeter said:

Jon,

Every day I am checking your and DLT's website for update. Is there some progress?

DLT is not answering to bugs, I also cannot see updates on your site ... so, was the project of SIDE3 stopped?

Maybe I am searching for updates on wrong places ?

Thank you,

Peter

https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=143

1 hour ago, KPeter said:

Every day I am checking your and DLT's website for update. Is there some progress?

I can't speak for others, but I've been working on loader improvements every day, Phaeron has been working on SIDE3 emulation which is now almost perfected, and Candle has made improvements to the FPGA code. We need to be sure that FPGA updates are delivered safely, and this will require careful and thorough testing of the core update tool.

In the meantime, although I have fed copious information to DLT, there is absolutely nothing I can do regarding SDX bug fixes short of boarding a plane to Poland and holding a gun to someone's head. In the meantime, you sound irritable and frustrated. To the best of my knowledge, the SIDE3 as shipped is largely functional with only a handful of known issues (SW-XEGS ROM disable bug, etc). I suggest some patience here, since your frequent requests for progress updates which I told you would be forthcoming when they are good and ready is simply annoying at this point. You have a long history of spamming me with emails via every available correspondence address and obsessively demanding answers to difficult problems. Then you arrive here on the forum and start another discourse with a terse private message.

If you are dissatisfied with the product and cannot wait for firmware updates, please return it.

Lotharek's website is not necessarily the place to poll for loader or SDX updates, BTW. As I said before: anything that's available will be announced here when it is ready. I am managing frankly enormous amounts of source code at the moment and continued nagging won't make things happen any faster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KPeter said:

Jon,

DLT is not answering to bugs, I also cannot see updates on your site ... so, was the project of SIDE3 stopped?

Maybe I am searching for updates on wrong places ?

Thank you,

Peter

When setting your expectations for updates, think days and weeks not hours and days.*

*Good rule of thumb for most things in the Atari8bit Scene. Allowing a month or more to pass would not be unreasonable

• Like 2

OK Jon and sorry, I am asking only for that reason, because the latest update what you released was only on AtariAge, not on your webpage and after that you wrote, it is the question of a week (next weekend) to solve issues.

I hope, the final (or at least better version) will be published on your webpage - first! - not on the Forum. To search in scattered info on AtariAge pages is extremely time eating, what I cannot afford next to my other daily responsibilities.

Please, give that info on your webpage also because to find any info there is straightforward on your well organized pages. Finally anyone can there find fast infos.

Of course it is nice to read lots of opinions and special needs of others but it is a tremendous wasting time, not efficient if some one does not have interest about that.

Thank you and I am waiting for the good news :)

Peter

8 minutes ago, KPeter said:

I hope, the final (or at least better version) will be published on your webpage - first! - not on the Forum. To search in scattered info on AtariAge pages is extremely time eating, what I cannot afford next to my other daily responsibilities.

I release interim and beta stuff here, in this thread. Instead of searching the entire forum, I suggest this (under the post editing window):

notify.PNG.b0c0a67623440cac5d3cee5264845240.PNG

This is surely even more convenient than having to poll my website (which you don't need to do anyway if you follow this thread, since - as I have said repeatedly - even updates which appear on the website are announced and linked here simultaneously).

8 minutes ago, KPeter said:

Of course it is nice to read lots of opinions and special needs of others but it is a tremendous wasting time, not efficient if some one does not have interest about that.

Interesting that you noticed the number of people here who have special needs, but in any case: with notify enabled, you can just check your emails until something of interest turns up. That's about the best I can offer you at the moment, unless you would like a Telegram delivered the moment an update is published.

Such is the nature of cottage-industry and hobbyist projects: most people hop on the forums from time to time to see what's happening. If you can bear to be a day or more late downloading a new update, simply check the topic once a week, perhaps.

Edited by flashjazzcat

Jon, you are right, if it is easy to find something on AtariAge. Every time, when I get there, takes lots of time to find where is the last page where I left questions. The other thing,

is the answering, most of time I do not see button, line to write question, answer to directly attach my question there. Now I turned on "Notify me of replies", if I receive notification

by e-mail, of course, it is easy to connect to discussion. Not that is the issue. The issue is, when I get to the forum after lots of days, so many communication is there and I do not

want to waste time searching, where is the info, what I really want to read, or where did you put some new updates. Is it so hard to put that updates on you very clear webpage?

I do not need more, just this, other things are really out of my interest ...  :)  

Best regards, and thank you

Peter

"I already do what he suggests and check the "Notify me of replies"  granted I do that for a lot of threads, so the biggest sender to my inbox is AtariAge.  I always wonder if Al will get mad at me for marking so many

threads."  ?

:)  I did it, thanks.   Jon advised to go to "topics". ... I do it many time, Using "SIDE3 preorder" or "SIDE 3 preorder" and it gets me to the totally different pages, hard to find something, related to this "topics", for that I am disappointed with this type of communication. Off course, it can be interesting for others to read opinions, needs of others, but I would like only to update things for SIDE3, U1MB, simply just find the source without searching in tremendous texts on the forum.

The direct connection to the updates and related communication could be welcomed by others also - I guess. Why that concrete webpages are needed if the info is scattered in the forum? If so, I do not see reason for it.

Peter

In addition: The named webpage is: https://atari8.co.uk/apt/side3/

If someone is a  fun of Forums, let them to surf on any forums (finally it is a type of hobby also :) ) and notify the readers by giving the direct address for updates.

I do not see big issue with this way. It is a question of ONE simple click on the link to get to updates. It will satisfy the forums' surfers and other people (like me) to find

what every one wants to know or download ... Peter

Quite simply, Jon has said this is where he will update us as and when things become available, most of us follow

this thread for this very reason.

You already know the thread name, if you want to find it quickly just use the search "in this forum" and hey presto

it's the top search found.

I really don't see your problem

• Like 1

It is not a problem, if some one is interested to read lots of different info - let do it for him/her. Why do I need to access to the forum, if there is a well prepared webpage

to have easy and updated info for every one. In the forum every info related to updates can be pointed directly to the main source of common info for every one.

The forum surfers and the other people, who are not interested to read forums, will be fully satisfied. ... I really wasting time to writing here about

an obvious thing ... Sorry.

Peter

We do not normally do this, but here is a SDX 4.49e (alpha) development version for SIDE3 available for download.

We usually release versions after good testing, even beta versions.

So, you use this version at your own risk, and since it contains work-in-progress code, some things may not work. And it is not just about SIDE3 support.

Therefore, the official version 4.49e will not be available on our website until this work is completed.

Please also note that we develop SDX in our spare time as a non-profit hobby.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

trub, I would like to be sure, this update (alpha) has corrected/included ULTIME.SYS or SIDE3CLC.SYS ... of course, I will check it.

On the preliminary SDX 4.49e TD failed (Time/Date info on the top of window). Also, when I turn on ATARI (by the switch), it started

with  BOOT ERROR rolling on the monitor.

Thank you,

Peter