IGNORED

SIDE 3 preorder

lotharek

I am neither interested in Ultimate cart. I am only interested what are these values in BXE when BXE is started from SDX.

Also, ?DPEEK($230). All with TD ON and without TD. ALL PEEKs I ASKED ABOUT, please. I.e. including PEEK(106).

(If in SDX DPEEK(88) also gives 31808 (= $7C40) then it is clear, why it blinks).

18 minutes ago, drac030 said:

I am neither interested in Ultimate cart. I am only interested what are these values in BXE when BXE is started from SDX.

Also, ?DPEEK($230). All with TD ON and without TD. ALL PEEKs I ASKED ABOUT, please. I.e. including PEEK(106).

(If in SDX DPEEK(88) also gives 31808 (= $7C40) then it is clear, why it blinks).

Drac030,

It is only to prove, the BASIC XE 4.2 is fully functional. The issue is out of it. I cannot say, where, because I am not the SIDE3 or/and SDX designer. 

Thank you to find your time to take care of issue.

Best regards,

Peter

Just now, KPeter said:

I cannot say, where, because I am not the SIDE3 or/and SDX designer.

This is why you are supposed to answer my questions without going into philosophy. But if you are unable to make three peeks and report back the results in the configuration specified, then I cannot diagnose what the problem is. So feel free to either do the damn things I need to make the diagnosis, or be left with your "blinking" forever.

28 minutes ago, drac030 said:

This is why you are supposed to answer my questions without going into philosophy. But if you are unable to make three peeks and report back the results in the configuration specified, then I cannot diagnose what the problem is. So feel free to either do the damn things I need to make the diagnosis, or be left with your "blinking" forever.

Sorry, I answered on your questions immediately. Again: the DPEEK(88) is 31808 ... What else you would like to know?

Peter

For the third time:

?PEEK(106)

?DPEEK($230)

All for TD ON and all for TD OFF. In the "blinking" BXE config.

Also:

POKE $8000,0:A=PEEK($8000):POKE $8000,$FF:B=PEEK($8000):? A,B

in the same config.

EDIT: and ?FRE(0) in the same config.

Edited by drac030

4 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

If it helps, SDX enables SIDE3 SRAM at $8000-9FFF for no apparent reason when performing IO and jumping into the (any) cart via CAR.

If this "SRAM" is not writable, then no wonder CAR.COM sees it as a 16k cartridge and sets ramtop accordingly to $80. Also no wonder why the screen blinks then: TD.COM is partly loaded to the ext RAM, so if the screen memory is at $7C40, the display must blink when ext banks are swapped.

But "when performing I/O" is rather surprising. Does it also happen under e.g. TBXL?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, drac030 said:

If this "SRAM" is not writable, then no wonder CAR.COM sees it as a 16k cartridge and sets ramtop accordingly to $80.

It's writeable, but is not present when the cartridge emulation registers are presented to SDX. On first entering a cartridge which occupies only $A000-$BFFF (and it need not be a banked cart; Altirra BASIC will do) via the CAR command, SDX enables the emulation bit (7) at $D5F7 in the emulation register set, and then writes $03 to the window control register at $D5FA in the base register set, which opens SRAM in both cartridge windows. Not realising that the SRAM at $8000 was actually left open, I had assumed that the SRAM window was being opened on top of the display list and screen memory, causing the visible corruption. But indeed SDX is enabling SRAM at $8000, lowering the top of RAM to page $80, and placing the screen at the top of the extended RAM banking window, and this (when SDX is using extended memory) is what is naturally causing the screen to jump around when banked driver code, etc, is accessed, exactly as you say.

So the mystery appears to be: why does SDX decide to open SRAM banks in both cartridge windows when invoking the emulated cartridge, when the emulated cartridge is an 8K left cart. The cartridge emulation register set includes inital window disable bits, so that SDX can know which of the two cartridge windows are required by the emulated cartridge.

22 minutes ago, drac030 said:

Does it also happen under e.g. TBXL?

No; it's now clear the whole problem is caused by the display being pushed down into the extended RAM banking window.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

The cartridge emulation register set includes inital window disable bits, so that SDX can know which of the two cartridge windows are required by the emulated cartridge.

Indeed the emulation engine now handles window selection automatically when the emulation bit is set, so it appears that SDX is still using the 'old' scheme (which required explicit management of the windows). This is presumably the simple explanation for the whole screen garbage matter.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, drac030 said:

If this "SRAM" is not writable, then no wonder CAR.COM sees it as a 16k cartridge and sets ramtop accordingly to $80. Also no wonder why the screen blinks then: TD.COM is partly loaded to the ext RAM, so if the screen memory is at $7C40, the display must blink when ext banks are swapped.

But "when performing I/O" is rather surprising. Does it also happen under e.g. TBXL?

Áll other software, running from HD,  including TBXL 3.2q is running without issue. Interestingly, MS Basic 1.0 is blinking with TD ON under SDX 4.49, but nicely running under SDX 4.49e. If I am not wrong, some of the software running from SIDE3 LOADER are doing that, blinking.

Peter

9 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

It appears that SDX is still using the 'old' scheme (which required explicit management of the windows). This is presumably the simple explanation for the whole screen garbage matter.

I can only confirm this ?

Currently both windows A and B are set regardless of the type of the cart.

• Like 2

On 11/29/2020 at 5:44 PM, flashjazzcat said:

Version 0.22 of the SIDE3 loader is available for download here:

https://atari8.co.uk/firmware/side3/

Note this is a development version with some experimental departures (user interface, etc), but does contain several fixes over prior versions.

• Sixteen line filename/menu display
  • Improved navigation and screen update speed
  • Improved scroll bar rendering
  • Fix for OSS 043M cartridge emulation
  • Fix for MaxFlash 128K (1Mbit) emulation
  • Displays 'BIN' file types
  • Ability to set on-board real time clock (will be required for FAT writes)
  • Underpinnings of WIP FAT-writes put in place (note: write capability is not yet active)
  • ‘Hard emulation’ setting added (completely disables SIDE3 registers until menu button is pressed)

I have three development branches running in parallel at the moment in order to evaluate what works out best (and much indecision and changes of mind result from this), so expect to see quite a lot of rapid-fire changes over the coming weeks. FAT writes are a high priority, since they will allow dynamic creation of INI files (containing auto-run scripts, etc), the creation of blank ATRs without resorting to the PC, saving files from XEXs launched directly from the loader, etc.

SW-XEGS emulation fixes still depend on deployment of the FPGA (JED) update referred to previously, and there are a couple of other changes too (the HDD LED will no longer stay lit when the RTC is displayed in the Options menu, for example), but we will not be rushed to deploy the FPGA update until we know the likelihood of accidental bricking is low.

As usual, please do not proceed with the loader update if the flasher does not show sensible information for the current loader version and revision date (this will mean you have some cartridge or SDX ROM in the way). I will write more copious release notes tomorrow, since I have finally run out of time and energy for tonight. :)

Yes: that is the other thing. Ever shifting sands, so to speak. Thanks.

Is the clock supposed to be running when viewed in the side loader?

2 minutes ago, Sinjinhawke said:

Mine stayed the same as well but now that I updated the SDX that was just posted I notice it is now updating on screen in the loader.  Not sure if that is related.

How did you update SDX? I'm trying to update mine but it just sits at the "...hit a key" prompt on the SDX flasher for SIDE3

3 minutes ago, candle said:

if it also says "configuration reset" then rtc is stopped

ok, so here is something strange. I tried the Side 3 in my U1MB 800xl. (before it was in a 800xl with the 320XLmemory upgrade). Now whenever I try and set the clock it resets it self after a second or two. 

9 minutes ago, Frankie said:

How did you update SDX? I'm trying to update mine but it just sits at the "...hit a key" prompt on the SDX flasher for SIDE3

I put the SDX update on my SDRIVE2.  Booted from the SIDE3 with with the SDRIVE2 in the SIO.  Choose Reboot from the SIDE3 Loader which launched the SDRIVE2 Loader.  Launched the SDX ATR file and got to where you are.  When I hit any key it just started.  Couple minutes later it was done.

I do not have an Ultimate 1MB yet.

Edited by Sinjinhawke
mention of U1MB