IGNORED

SIDE 3 preorder

lotharek

4 minutes ago, Sinjinhawke said:

I put the SDX update on my SDRIVE2.  Booted from the SIDE3 with with the SDRIVE2 in the SIO.  Choose Reboot from the SIDE3 Loader which launched the SDRIVE2 Loader.  Launched the SDX ATR file and got to where you are.  When I hit any key it just started.  Couple minutes later it was done.

That's working!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frankie said:

AHh, now it says my side 3 does not have a Side3 clock present. 

Fun, isn't it. :)

I have just fixed the loader which wasn't starting the clock with a freshly inserted battery; this only became an issue with the most recent update since prior to that the loader didn't touch the real time clock at all. But while testing battery removal/insertion, I noticed that the SDX RTC driver cannot recognise the real time clock unless the loader has already set it up.

I'll let Trub know, anyway, and release the updated loader shortly.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Frankie said:

AHh, now it says my side 3 does not have a Side3 clock present. 

side3.jpg

Frankie, may I ask you where can I find the link for update? Despite spending time to search I am not able to find the post with the link what trub is mentioning.

Thank you,

Peter

1 minute ago, Frankie said:

Thank you very much. Currently I cannot verify it but I hope, it will work.

It looks like it is not on Jon's webpage right now, where I could find only the version dated 28-11-2020

It includes all issues, what I reported here on last weekend (already tested).

Have a nice day,

Peter

Version 0.25 of the SIDE3 loader released:

https://atari8.co.uk/firmware/side3/

I've left the prior build available in case of any issues. Version 0.25 fixes the RTC initialisation issues, so you should be able to set the clock on a cart with a fresh battery from inside the loader now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

18 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

I've left the prior build available in case of any issues. Version 0.25 fixes the RTC initialisation issues, so you should be able to set the clock on a cart with a fresh battery from inside the loader now.

Yes, the latest update works perfectly, when the SDX 4.49e starts up. I do not see any issue related to TD.  BASIC XE 4.2 runs perfectly with its extension file also. I tested all my standardly used software for verification of functionality. For now, everything looks fine.

But still there is the "glitch" with cold start from turned of ATARI by switch or activating CAR-tridges from SIDE3 LOADER. It needs sequence of Reset on SIDE3 plus Reset on ATARI to start SDX 4.49e initialization. If D1: is from SIDE3 SD card, ATARI starts with rolling BOOT ERRORs on monitor. If D1: is from SIO2SD/SIO2PC and the disk is SpartaDos formatted, it starts with error message signalizing no SpartaDos present. If the disk formatted with some of DOS 2.X, it is not booting correctly, the picture is black with blinking characters and only the OFF/ON switch can restart ATARI. 

It is just for info from my latest tests.

Peter

23 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

But while testing battery removal/insertion, I noticed that the SDX RTC driver cannot recognise the real time clock unless the loader has already set it up.

I'll let Trub know, anyway, and release the updated loader shortly.

Thanks for the info. I will update the clock driver accordingly.

However, it seems that the clock chip can also be initialized currently by forcing the driver to load (SIDE3CLK.SYS /F) and then setting TIME & DATE. 

@KPeterI am unable to reply to your email, because either mine or your email account is blocked by the server. However it seems that your problem with finding the link is solved by helpful @Frankie.

7 minutes ago, trub said:

Thanks for the info. I will update the clock driver accordingly.

However, it seems that the clock chip can also be initialized currently by forcing the driver to load (SIDE3CLK.SYS /F) and then setting TIME & DATE. 

@KPeterI am unable to reply to your email, because either mine or your email account is blocked by the server. However it seems that your problem with finding the link is solved by helpful @Frankie.

Yes, probably Jon blocked my email account on last weekend. ... Hmmm. 

And yes also, Frankie helped me.

Thank you Trub, you are not ignoring my information. My intention is always to give info from my findings to help for improvements. Not blaming or humiliating people.

Peter

On 12/2/2020 at 3:00 PM, flashjazzcat said:

After installing this my side2 and side1 cartridges don't see the CF card without running the side.sys driver.  Is the now the correct effect for the PBI or am I not setting something correctly in the setup screens.

40 minutes ago, Roydea6 said:

After installing this my side2 and side1 cartridges don't see the CF card without running the side.sys driver.

The loader goes on the SIDE3 cartridge and nothing else. It cannot possibly affect the behaviour of other cartridges since nothing changes on the target machine itself.

I assume you mean you updated the PBI BIOS and main BIOS on your U1MB BIOS (quite a different matter). In that case, yes: you'll need to revert back to the standard U1MB firmware for SIDE1 and SIDE2 (the SIDE3 PBI BIOS is only for SIDE3).

• Like 1

On 12/2/2020 at 3:03 PM, flashjazzcat said:

I added a permanent link to the SDX download on this page at the weekend, if it helps:

https://atari8.co.uk/apt/side3/

How does one update the SpartaDosX on the SIDE3? I downloaded the atr from that page, but when I try to mount it, it complains the disk image is too large.

Also, I guess a more basic question, once booted with SDX (switch down), how do I mount and use disks? All disk access just gives an error (138 I think?)

And in the latest firmware update (or the previous), it shows the SD card with a label of "o" on the disk screen

Thanks!

33 minutes ago, Kamil said:

If I map the atr file as D1: in the Side3 loader, it should be as read-only or read-write?

It depends if you're using Ultimate 1MB (with the SIDE3 firmware) or not. Without U1MB: read-only. With U1MB: read/write.

14 minutes ago, tsom said:

How does one update the SpartaDosX on the SIDE3? I downloaded the atr from that page, but when I try to mount it, it complains the disk image is too large.

That stand-alone (no U1MB) ATR support is currently limited to 180KB. You can boot the SDX update ATR from SIO2PC or similar, or run it from the SIDE3 loader if you happen to have U1MB support.

In what environment are you receiving error 138 (i.e. which DOS was booted, etc)? I assume you are using the stand-alone ATR support.

Regarding the SD card name: I will double-check things here, but once the SD card transfer code worked, it was deliberately not changed, so I wonder if there is some other reason. I will test some cards here and see what happens.

4 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

That stand-alone (no U1MB) ATR support is currently limited to 180KB. You can boot the SDX update ATR from SIO2PC or similar, or run it from the SIDE3 loader if you happen to have U1MB support.

In what environment are you receiving error 138 (i.e. which DOS was booted, etc)? I assume you are using the stand-alone ATR support.

Regarding the SD card name: I will double-check things here, but once the SD card transfer code worked, it was deliberately not changed, so I wonder if there is some other reason. I will test some cards here and see what happens.

Ok I will try booting the atr from something else.

This is what I see as far as the SD card name, I'm pretty sure it was the name of the SD Card ("SIDE3"):

160651499_Photoon12-5-20at3_19PM.thumb.jpg.f1a518266969f308331fd310c0807963.jpg

The errors are just booting the SDX and trying to do a "dir". Of course it just may be user error (I'm not using it correctly....)

360601945_Photoon12-5-20at3_22PM.thumb.jpg.47fa95ed6ef2c29e77939deda9e3fbc4.jpg

Thanks!

40 minutes ago, tsom said:

This is what I see as far as the SD card name, I'm pretty sure it was the name of the SD Card ("SIDE3"):

Ah - so this is the partition name, not the device name. Most interesting: I will look into it. :)

40 minutes ago, tsom said:

The errors are just booting the SDX and trying to do a "dir". Of course it just may be user error (I'm not using it correctly....)

Updating SDX would be a good idea here; the SIDE driver and the SDX build itself are heavily out of date.

Edited by flashjazzcat

15 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

Ah - so this is the partition name, not the device name. Most interesting: I will look into it. :)

Updating SDX would be a good idea here; the SIDE driver and the SDX build itself are heavily out of date.

Thanks.

I was going to update, using the file from here: https://atari8.co.uk/apt/side3/ but the version looks to be the same as what's shown when SDX boots (4.49e). I did install the latest SIDE driver.

Just now, tsom said:

I was going to update, using the file from here: https://atari8.co.uk/apt/side3/ but the version looks to be the same as what's shown when SDX boots (4.49e).

Just install it anyway: the revision date is two months later than what you're running. It comes with SIDE3.SYS pre-installed as well, and Trub has used the most recent version. I think you'll have a much better SDX experience right off the bat once that's flashed.