IGNORED

SIDE 3 preorder

lotharek

Just now, KPeter said:
5 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

No mystery. If you're using the U1MB, you *must* enable the PBI BIOS to enable disk mounting and drive emulation via the SIDE/SIDE2/SIDE3.

Thanks, ... is it written somewhere ?

Additionally ... AUTOEXEC.BAT is correctly loaded from SIDE3's SD Card despite of what is the PBI BIOS setting ... So ???

19 minutes ago, TGB1718 said:

Wrong, if PBI BIOS is disabled, AUTOEXEC.BAT must be on the boot disk i.e. D1: it cannot access the SD card for it.

AUTOEXEC.BAT can be anywhere you like. Without the PBI BIOS, the SIDE3.SYS driver is loaded by CONFIG.SYS on the CAR: device (so, CONFIG.SYS cannot be on the SD card), but AUTOEXEC will be picked up just fine, even from a HDD partition.

Thanks Jon.

I updated the U1MB with the Bios/PBI Bios to v3.11.  i think my Side3 is now bricked ?

I ran the s3loader.xex using SIO2PC but after one hour the screen was still at Erasing sectors, so I powered off/on and successfully installed v0.29 to SIDE3 using the SD card method, but after rebooting, SIDE3 loader freezes and does not response to any keys.

I tried reloading v0.22 using SIO2PC but it still freezes at Erasing sectors AND it shows current version as 141.85 (pardon the horrible screens, Sophia 2 is in the mail :P )

Rebooting 800XL I can still press L to go to the Side3loaded but I get the same corrupted screen and must power-off/on.

Question: Is there a way to un-brick the SIDE3?  I do have a couple of USB blasters available.

I'll attach some photos:

image.thumb.png.297930d1e2df0f2d5017c4015248c6ff.png

IMG_3229.jpg

IMG_3235.jpg

Edited by Fell
trying to fix screen shots - they look fine on my PC

5 hours ago, Fell said:

I tried reloading v0.22 using SIO2PC but it still freezes at Erasing sectors AND it shows current version as 141.85

That's because you have some other cartridge ROM in the way (hence the nonsense 'current version' number). Try running the flasher from the on-board SDX with the 'X' command.

5 hours ago, Fell said:

Question: Is there a way to un-brick the SIDE3?

Yes: by successfully updating the loader. I assume the on-board SDX still works. USB Blaster is no use here, and nor is the Lattice Platform cable required for FPGA updates, since your issue is a series of failed flash ROM updates.

On 12/26/2020 at 10:45 AM, 800_Rocks said:

.... I'm studying the new tech for the 8bits such as FujiNet and SIDE3.  I have my eye on SpartaDosX and a battery backed clock would be nice.   I have zero solder skills.  I am US-based (North Carolina).  The SIDE3 looks very nice.  I appreciate help with these questions:

I see the SIDE3 available at the https://thebrewingacademy.com/ in the US and https://lotharek.pl/ in Poland.  However, I do not see answers to my questions in the descriptions or list of capabilities on these sites (perhaps something that should be added).  I note that their website says The Brewing Academy will be taking inventory in the month of January so orders may be delayed.

6)   Other than the two sites listed above, are there other US sites where SIDE3 can be purchased?

Thanks in Advance!

Hello, fellow North Carolinian (I’m in WNC,  sitting almost direct under Cattail Peak in the Black Mtn. range at the moment). Fwiw, I’ve bought from The Brewing Academy on many occasions and have had excellent service. I was on his site a couple of days ago and COVID had evidently invaded his house, so his shop is closed down for another ten or twelve days.

If you are still looking for a FujiNet, Gavin over at Vintagecomputercenter.com had bunches in stock, is a valuable member of the Atari community, and a good person. Highly recommend his storefront!

If you want a no solder needed RAM upgrade, another awesome AtariAge member, tfhh (Jurgen) sells just what you need - the SysCheck V2.2 (battery back up version and regular PBI version are available). This will bump your 800XL up to 576KB, has four OS slots - selectable by onboard DIP switches, and will test system components. It simply plugs onto the PBI and viola! Good to go. It comes preloaded with a high-speed SIO OS, so you can list stuff at up to 125kilobits. His site is linked below. tfhh_HW_info.pdf#page11

• Thanks 1

On 1/3/2021 at 11:21 PM, flashjazzcat said:

That's because you have some other cartridge ROM in the way (hence the nonsense 'current version' number). Try running the flasher from the on-board SDX with the 'X' command.

Yes: by successfully updating the loader. I assume the on-board SDX still works. USB Blaster is no use here, and nor is the Lattice Platform cable required for FPGA updates, since your issue is a series of failed flash ROM updates.

Thanks Jon. I was able to updrade the SIDE3 using my stock 130XE and SIO2PC. 

It was a brand new SIDE3 and I hadn't loaded any ROMs. The loader was completely corrupted.   I tried several times to upgrade it in my 800XL which has the U1MB installed but nothing worked.  Using my stock 130XE, I was able to upgrade it on the first try!

Regards,

Fell

8 hours ago, Fell said:

Thanks Jon. I was able to updrade the SIDE3 using my stock 130XE and SIO2PC.

I had exactly the same issue when I tried upgrading SIDE3 some time ago, in my 130XE with U1M it just wouldn't upgrade,

used my other "stock" 130XE and it worked first time.

As a SIDE Note :) I've done upgrades since then using my U1M and it's worked fine.

I'm just trying to establish for sure whether the ROM on the cartridge was corrupted or whether it simply failed to work on one machine but worked with a different one. If you have eliminated this as a possibility, then OK: it was a bad ROM. Presumably the newly flashed cartridge now works on the previously problematic machine. This is very important if we are to understand and address stability issues, etc.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

Did the 'completely corrupted' loader work on the 130XE before upgrading, out of interest?

No, the corrupted SIDE3 loader did not work on the 130XE.

To clarify, these were the steps: 

*The loader was working on the brand new SIDE3 in the 800XL with U1MB, but I did not play with it before attempting the upgrade.

1. The upgrade to 0.29 failed using SIO2PC

2. The upgrade seemed to complete successfully using the SD card on the loader.

3. After rebooting, the SIDE3 loaded was corrupted and 800XL frozen (required power off/on)

4. Upgrading again using SIO2PC was unsuccessful (tried a few times)

5. using a stock 130XE, successfully upgraded to 0.22 using SIO2PC, then upgraded to 0.29 using SD card (just to test both methods)

So, I think original ROM on new SIDE3 was good to begin with.  #2 above is what corrupted the ROM even though the messages showed that it had completed successfully (sorry, i did not get a picture of it).  So, I would think it was a random case of corruption probably having to do with my 800XL.

Both U1MB and SIDE3 are working fine on my 800XL

Edited by Fell

just a side note (uhm, no pun intended)

if you need to go into recovery mode with side3 - press side3 button and keep it like this while powering atari up

side3 won't appear as a cartridge, but you'll be able to boot from sio and preform update

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

• 4 weeks later...

Atari 800XL

SIDE3 Firmware 0.29

Ultimate 1MB: Version 3.11RC

Just installed my Ultimate 1mb today.  Flashed the two BIOS from the files on FJC site.  I notice my firmware is 3.11RC and in FJC videos he has 3.12.   Is that an unreleased version or did I miss a Firmware version somewhere?

I also updated the SpartaDOS to the most recent release on both SIDE3 and U1MB

PBS BIOS is enabled so hitting L launches the SIDE3 loader and not the internal loader

ATR support on SIDE3 shows as Enabled (greyed out) which is correct I believe.

Launching any ATR file results in Error 144.  <-- Is this due to some setting I have wrong or possibly an installation error.

i hope so

under u1mb bios: pbi enabled, hard disk enabled

memory configuration of your likeings, and jump to loader

in side3 loader (this one starts from what you wrote) try to boot an atr

make sure you have disabled/unmounted any cartridges, and basic is also disabled - there are separate tabs that will tell you this

I checked the SIDE3 PBI BIOS and nowhere does the SIO handler return Error 144 for hard disk transactions, so we can at least rule out transmission errors.

What OS is being used here, out of interest? If the SIO mounting commands issued by the loader are not handled by the PBI BIOS for some reason, you'll just get errors returned from the OS SIO driver.

Edited by flashjazzcat
typo

On 2/6/2021 at 5:29 AM, flashjazzcat said:

What OS is being used here, out of interest? If the SIO mounting commands issued by the loader are not handled by the PBI BIOS for some reason, you'll just get errors returned from the OS SIO driver.

Apologies if I seem naive.  It's only because it applies.

When SpartaDOS loads it shows PBI BIOS v.0.03 (SDX is 4.49e 1-02-2021)

Firmware is 3.11RC

OS ROM: XL OS 1.3

on SIDE 3 ATR Support: Enabled and greyed out.

SIDE3 is version 0.29

I noticed user remowilliams (on page 14) had the same issue.  He mentions switching to a 2GB Kingston or 2GB Transcend SD card solved his problem (which is interesting since candle suggested 2gb card may be the worst option) so maybe I have a couple less than stellar SD cards.  (Mine are a Panasonic and another brand I cannot make out that came with my SDRIVE)

What is a recommended SD card manufacturer and size that I should acquire?

I'll probably open up the case again to see if while I was doing cable management that I didn't loosen a connection in my amateur soldering job.

6 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

OK - so the OS supports the PBI driver. In exactly what context are you seeing error 144? Is the loader reporting it? The OS? SpartaDOS X?

In the SIDE3 I have two MicroSDs with SD Adapters that I would swap back and forth prior to installing the U1MB.  One is FAT16 the other is FAT32.  

Before the U1MB I would power on using SIDE3 inserted to launch CAR and XEX files on those cards and power on with only the SDRIVE to launch ATR files on those same cards.

After U1MB I am trying to use all three file types with just the SIDE3 Loader. 

CAR and EXE continue to work mostly as before, navigate to file and hit RETURN and it launches.

New behaviour I am seeing is the button on the top of the cart is not interrupting the running program so to exit I am hitting RESET while holding HELP to get back to U1MB then hitting L to relaunch SIDE3 Loader (maybe this is a setting). 

Navigating to an ATR file in the SIDE3 Loader and hitting RETURN generates the error 144.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this.