IGNORED

SIDE 3 preorder

lotharek

29 minutes ago, Sinjinhawke said:

New behaviour I am seeing is the button on the top of the cart is not interrupting the running program so to exit I am hitting RESET while holding HELP to get back to U1MB then hitting L to relaunch SIDE3 Loader (maybe this is a setting). 

This means the ATR swap button is enabled (the cart's reset button is then used to rotate disk image sets across drive nunbers, facilitating 'disk swaps').

I'll be releasing the firmware update formally quite soon (and it has progressed somewhat from the pre-release U1MB SIDE3 firmware files offered on the SIDE3 download page), but nevertheless I just flashed the 3.11 BIOS and v.0.03 PBI BIOS for SIDE3 and I'm not seeing the 'error 144' issue as described. Since I cannot reproduce it, it's difficult to know what to suggest other than updating again when I release the update proper and seeing if that makes any difference.

Edited by flashjazzcat

27 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

This means the ATR swap button is enabled (the cart's reset button is then used to rotate disk image sets across drive nunbers, facilitating 'disk swaps').

I'll be releasing the firmware update formally quite soon (and it has progressed somewhat from the pre-release U1MB SIDE3 firmware files offered on the SIDE3 download page), but nevertheless I just flashed the 3.11 BIOS and v.0.03 PBI BIOS for SIDE3 and I'm not seeing the 'error 144' issue as described.

Thanks.  I will patiently wait for the formal update while I familiarize myself with this device.  I still have options like verifying my physical installation and the quality of my SD cards.

• 3 months later...
On 10/24/2020 at 12:23 AM, flashjazzcat said:

Thanks for bringing this up. To avoid confusion in the future, the next version of the loader for U1MB displays 'No device' when SIDE2 is not detected (rather than 'Waiting for media'). You've definitely started the wrong loader, anyway. Turn everything off on the U1MB, boot SIDE3 in loader mode, and run s3loader.xex. However, since you've already updated the cart on the other machine, you're done anyway.

Sorry if this has been covered here or elsewhere, I am tired and getting annoyed at what I am sure is a simple issue.

I too am getting the 'waiting for media' message in the Side Loader with Side 3. I am clearly not using the new sd card loader as I am seeing the HDD media icon rather than the SD card icon I can see on Flashjazzcat's Side 3 videos (which I still need to watch!!)

My situation:

- I started with an Atari 800 XL with U1MB previously running firmware 3.02 (IIRC) with Side 2.

- Upgraded U1MB with latest version I can find on Flashjazzcat's website (version 3.10, 512kb) using "Uflash.xex" and firmware "Ultimate.rom" - using my side 2 cart. Then rebooted and checked U1MB system information and it says version 3.10.

- formatted 2GB SD Card as Fat 32 (or 16?)

- copied s3loader.xex to root of SD card

- insert Side 3 with SD card into 800xl 

- computer boots to self test

- hit Help to run U1MB bios settings menu

- hit L to run side loader.

I have reviewed all the U1MB menus looking for an option to disable the U1MB loader but no luck. Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by Irata 008
fixed typos and grammar.

8 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

I thought Lotharek had a link to this on the product page, but in any case - you need the pre-release U1MB firmware for SIDE 3:

https://atari8.co.uk/firmware/side3/

See 'downloads' section.

He certainly does. I was assuming that the firmware on your side 3 firmware page is for flashing to side 3 and not u1mb & that my new Side 3 would be flashed to latest firmware on arrival. 

Am I to take it therefore that I need to flash the side 3 firmware to my u1mb?  Assuming that is the case, which firmware file should I flash? The older larger package (64k approx) or the newer smaller package? (32k approx) ?

actually thinking about this, are these side 3 plug ins for u1mb? (Not that I have a clue how to install plug ins.

I’m sorry for my ignorance. You must get royally p***ed off with these questions. In my defence, Side 2/ u1mb worked out of the box - but I realise we are dealing with a new beast here….   I am eternally grateful for the work you have put into Side and U1MB.

edit: ok I see that below the two side 3 firmware packages there is a u1mb side 3 package. I’ll try flashing that one to my u1mb first. 

Edited by Irata 008

31 minutes ago, Irata 008 said:

He certainly does. I was assuming that the firmware on your side 3 firmware page is for flashing to side 3 and not u1mb & that my new Side 3 would be flashed to latest firmware on arrival. 

Am I to take it therefore that I need to flash the side 3 firmware to my u1mb?  Assuming that is the case, which firmware file should I flash? The older larger package (64k approx) or the newer smaller package? (32k approx) ?

actually thinking about this, are these side 3 plug ins for u1mb? (Not that I have a clue how to install plug ins.

I’m sorry for my ignorance. You must get royally p***ed off with these questions. In my defence, Side 2/ u1mb worked out of the box - but I realise we are dealing with a new beast here….   I am eternally grateful for the work you have put into Side and U1MB.

edit: ok I see that below the two side 3 firmware packages there is a u1mb side 3 package. I’ll try flashing that one to my u1mb first. 

Right, it was a simple issue. 

I saved the bios.rom and ultpbi.rom files contained in U1MB_SIDE3_Firmware_RC_221020.zip to root of my side 2 SD (in a CF adapter). Ran Uflash and flashed the bios.rom without checking to see that I was flashing to the U1MB device. It must have worked as System Information showed firmware version for U1MB had jumped from 3.10 to 3.11.

Next I ran Uflash (from Side 2) to update PBI rom. No joy as I was only seeing Side 2 device and could not open U1MB to flash ("device not present" IIRC).

So I tried toggling the side 2 switch from down position to up position and rebooted and ran uflash again from Side 2 loader. Joy! I could see the U1MB again. Flashed PBI slot with the ultpbi.rom file and that flashed fine.

I also see that the Side 3 loader firmware version 0.29... is referred to in system info.

Now Side 3 works. Only issue is with Basic disabled, my Atari is booting to self test and not side 3 loader. Presumably there is a setting somewhere I have overlooked...

Anyhow, sorry for taking up your valuable time on this, & thanks for all your work on U1MB, Side 2 and Side 3. 

I think SIDE3 is pre-flashed at the factory with whatever is published at the time a new batch is produced.

Don't worry about asking questions, anyway. You need to flash the BIOS.ROM file to the U1MB Main BIOS slot, and ULTPBI.ROM to the PBI BIOS slot on the U1MB. That's it. Remove the SIDE3 cartridge before you run uflash.

I am not especially happy about the fact the new firmware and all plugins (which have been completely redesigned even since that interim firmware was released last year) are still not formally released on the U1MB download page, but I am currently participating in a kind of protracted psycho-drama concerning the JED update for Incognito and I cannot release the update on my side of things until this is sorted out. However excruciating it is for the spectator, imagine actually coding it. :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Irata 008 said:

Only issue is with Basic disabled, my Atari is booting to self test and not side 3 loader.

This is entirely proper on the U1MB setup. If you want to boot direct to the SIDE3 loader, select 'Boot to loader' in the U1MB settings.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi. I'm tearing my hair out (or what's left of it) trying to get my Side 3 running. Today I finally got hold of a 74F08N and installed it, and bingo! it worked. The I thought to myself that this was a good time to update all of the drivers for the UM1B and Side 3. I noticed that FlashJazzCat had a later version of the UM1B firmware on his site, and installed it. Lo and behold, my system now doesn't recognize the Side 3, just giving "No Device" on the Loader screen. Has anyone else had this issue or is it just Sods Law deciding to kick me in the unmentionables when it saw that things were going too well? I had version 4.00_050621 installed, and upgraded to 4.0_070721. It's running on an 800XL with UM1B and Sophia RevC. I have tried the other suggestions I have been given - swapping out the CPU, though as the one I used came from a board that had missing chips, who knows how good it was, and I have also tried both a modern wall wart and the original 1980's PSU. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else I could try? I noticed that when it was working, the red and green LEDs actually do something more than just a brief red flash on power on. That has stopped happening now the Side 3 has decided to ignore me, so my assumption is that the firmware update isn't the problem, but I wanted to confirm.

Edited by Doug_in_NC

2 hours ago, Doug_in_NC said:Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else I could try? 

I have an 800xl, U1MB, SIDE3 and Sophia 2. When I flashed my U1MB it no longer recognized the SIDE3

For me FJC suggested the following to me and now it works correctly.   

install the SIDE3 plugin and PBI BIOS; fastest way to do this is:

1. Flash U1MBS3FW.ROM to the 'Firmware' slot
  2. Head to plugin folder and flash 'SOS3P2.ROM' to the 'Plugin' slot

This will give you the Sophia2, SIDE3 and PokeyMAX plugins

48 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

with the SIDEB being so picky with it's timing... I wonder how it will fair with incognito or even the XL/XE line across the board...

My SIDE3 works fine in my Incognito 800 (awkwardly, as you can't close the cartridge cover), my 1200XL+U1MB and my 64K-expanded 600XL. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Doug_in_NC said:

Hi. I'm tearing my hair out (or what's left of it) trying to get my Side 3 running. Today I finally got hold of a 74F08N and installed it, and bingo! it worked. The I thought to myself that this was a good time to update all of the drivers for the UM1B and Side 3. I noticed that FlashJazzCat had a later version of the UM1B firmware on his site, and installed it. Lo and behold, my system now doesn't recognize the Side 3, just giving "No Device" on the Loader screen. Has anyone else had this issue or is it just Sods Law deciding to kick me in the unmentionables when it saw that things were going too well? I had version 4.00_050621 installed, and upgraded to 4.0_070721. It's running on an 800XL with UM1B and Sophia RevC. I have tried the other suggestions I have been given - swapping out the CPU, though as the one I used came from a board that had missing chips, who knows how good it was, and I have also tried both a modern wall wart and the original 1980's PSU. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what else I could try? I noticed that when it was working, the red and green LEDs actually do something more than just a brief red flash on power on. That has stopped happening now the Side 3 has decided to ignore me, so my assumption is that the firmware update isn't the problem, but I wanted to confirm.

What power supply are you running just outta interest? 

8 hours ago, Doug_in_NC said:

Lo and behold, my system now doesn't recognize the Side 3, just giving "No Device" on the Loader screen.

Before you start pulling anything apart, you might want to install the right plugin. You're running the SIDE loader built into the U1MB because you forgot to flash U1MBS3FW.ROM to the Firmware slot. See the README.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK, I spoke too soon! The Side 3 works but isn't stable. I had to switch off, wait 30 seconds and reboot about 5 times before it decided to read an SD card when I switched it on again just now, after 4 hours off. After the 5th time it happily read 4 cards that a minute before, it couldn't even see. It's hot swapping cards without an issue, but if I switch it off again, I have no idea if it is going to behave properly or not

[EDIT] Definitely something still wrong. I ran a couple of cartridges, and they play for a few seconds and then the machine crashes. I have currently got Galaxians locked up with random characters on the screen in front of me. I am able to reboot right now but the it crashes after less than 30 seconds accessing a cartridge.

Edited by Doug_in_NC

8 hours ago, Doug_in_NC said:

Thanks, that solved the problem! I had updated using the U1MBS3FW.ROM firmware last month, but had a brain fart and forgot the correct procedure and wiped it out when I upgraded the U1MB yesterday

Not just you.  I did the same error twice. What’s worse I did read the read me file.  Just a fail on my part.  

On 7/10/2021 at 10:50 PM, _The Doctor__ said:

with the SIDEB being so picky with it's timing... I wonder how it will fair with incognito or even the XL/XE line across the board...

I had timing issues back with the Side2 and the the aforementioned 74F08N upgrade fixed all my instability issueswith my 800xl. Side3 showed up and was plug and play. This is the first upgrade I would do to any xl unit.