IGNORED

SIDE 3 preorder

lotharek

On 11/29/2020 at 7:46 PM, drac030 said:

To end the BXE Extension thread - the BXE 4.2 Extension disk:

BXE42EXT.ARC 44.55 kB · 26 downloads

It says version 4.20, (c) 1986 OSS. And works, I was able to run that SHOWPIC.BXE demo program.

Drac030

I can not seem to open this file.  Do you have it in zip format?  is this an old winzip format or norton file?    I've been trying get Basic XE 4.2 but need the proper extensions..

and you seem to be the only person that knows what your doing?  There is a major bug in Basic XE 4.1 where Bget and Bput can not directly read and write to extended banks

(as it states in the OSS manual) and I'm super curious to see if 4.2 fixes this problem and any other fixes/improvements.  Thanks  

53 minutes ago, rsh said:

Drac030

I can not seem to open this file.  Do you have it in zip format?  is this an old winzip format or norton file?    I've been trying get Basic XE 4.2 but need the proper extensions..

and you seem to be the only person that knows what your doing?  There is a major bug in Basic XE 4.1 where Bget and Bput can not directly read and write to extended banks

(as it states in the OSS manual) and I'm super curious to see if 4.2 fixes this problem and any other fixes/improvements.  Thanks  

It looks like it's compressed using ARC. Spartados-X would be able to unpack the file using the ARC command, otherwise, from memory, Peazip will do it.

Edited by Mazzspeed

4 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

Altirra will mount ARC files as disk images. You can open them with Disk Explorer and drag the contents out of them.

I thought I tried that.. I will try it again tonight thx!!!   I was trying everything... I even renamed it to .atr maybe thats what I tried to open Altirra.   If not, you guys gave me some more options SpartaDosX and Peazip, izarc?? ..

There is a hacked Basic XE 7.2 but from what I found out..... it's  a repacked version of 4.2 and the extensions file need to be  renamed from BASICXE.OSS to BASICXE.EXT before it will properly load.. I haven't tried it yet. 

---- info ---

BASIC XE 7.2

On the Internet (eg here ) you can find module images labeled "BASIC XE 7.2". It is BASIC XE 4.2 with an amateur initial menu, allowing you to decide whether the extension file should be loaded from a floppy disk or tape recorder, or not to load it at all. We make the decision by pressing one of the console buttons: START, SELECT or OPTION.

An additional difference is that this version expects an extension file named BASICXE.EXT instead of BASICXE.OSS. In addition - due to insufficient space - the information about the publisher (ie "(C) 1986 OSS, Inc")

--- end ---

The  7.2 was on www.atariwiki.org  but the site has been down for awhile  (Is it coming back?????)    Is there a sister site in Poland or something?

Just a note. There are many versions of Extension files for BASICXE, which are patched to accept differences between SIDE2, SIDE3, ULTIMATE Cart . Same of them are BASICXA.OSS, BASICXE.OSS ... or something else. Exchanging them is resulting crash of SDX / BASICXE ... I had experience with crash when SDX 4.49 went to SDX 4.49e also. So, what kind of Extension file to use for proper functionality, strongly depends on the OS, Cartridge ... etc.

Peter

21 minutes ago, KPeter said:

Just a note. There are many versions of Extension files for BASICXE, which are patched to accept differences between SIDE2, SIDE3, ULTIMATE Cart . Same of them are BASICXA.OSS, BASICXE.OSS ... or something else. Exchanging them is resulting crash of SDX / BASICXE ... I had experience with crash when SDX 4.49 went to SDX 4.49e also. So, what kind of Extension file to use for proper functionality, strongly depends on the OS, Cartridge ... etc.

Peter

Thank you for confirming that!...  I got that impression trying find and get Basic XE 4.2 to load properly.  I even found an XEP80 fix for Basic XE that I was not able to get to work in Altirra, wish I could, that would be fun!    I got it to run but it would not display 80 just 40 (the screen did turn black&white) another try the screen would be all black and I could only hear the key click.  

Edited by rsh

14 minutes ago, rsh said:

Thank you for confirming that!...  I got that impression trying find and get Basic XE 4.2 to load properly.  I even found an XEP80 fix for Basic XE that I was not able to get to work in Altirra, wish I could, that would be fun!    I got it to run but it would not display 80 just 40 (the screen did turn black&white) another try the screen would be all black and I could only hear the key click.  

By my experiences the main issues are with the FP section of Extension file, resulting frozen system. Without Extension file the BASICXE will work properly independently on Cartridges or OSs. So, what would be really desirable, to patch Extension file to correct improper addressing with same ideas, how the ATARI original OS was built ... I am not an expert on it, but maybe someone from SDX guys can do it to have an universal Extension file, independent on environment ?

1 hour ago, KPeter said:

By my experiences the main issues are with the FP section of Extension file, resulting frozen system. Without Extension file the BASICXE will work properly independently on Cartridges or OSs. So, what would be really desirable, to patch Extension file to correct improper addressing with same ideas, how the ATARI original OS was built ... I am not an expert on it, but maybe someone from SDX guys can do it to have an universal Extension file, independent on environment ?

Yes, that would be the proper fix.  From reading this thread Drac030 actually dove into the dumps and determined the difference between 4.1 and 4.2 extension pointers.  Hence, He really knows what he's doing!!!  I'm currently just trying to get to run in Altirra.  I know I'm off thread here as this is SIDE3 but Draco030 was the only person (in all the threads, i searched) that has stated he got Basic XE 4.2 extensions to actually load and run lol.  Fun stuff!! Love it!!   So I'm hoping I can get it to work as well :D , there is no documentation on 4.2 anywhere from OSS so they must of just patched the existing functionality.  I wish Bill Wilkinson (he wrote BASIC XE) could shed some light on this..

Edited by rsh

There should be no need to patch anything for SIDE3 compatibility and I know of no such .OSS file which exists. The .OSS files patched for SIDE2 compatibility would have been created to account for the fact the ROMs which run on that cart were themselves patched by @ebiguy. I'm not aware of anything patched for Ultimate Cart either, nor of why this might be necessary.

41 minutes ago, rsh said:

Yes, that would be the proper fix.  From reading this thread Drac030 actually dove into the dumps and determined the difference between 4.1 and 4.2 extension pointers.  Hence, He really knows what he's doing!!!  I'm currently just trying to get to run in Altirra.  I know I'm off thread here as this is SIDE3 but Draco030 was the only person (in all the threads, i searched) that has stated he got Basic XE 4.2 extensions to actually load and run lol.  Fun stuff!! Love it!!   So I'm hoping I can get it to work as well :D , there is no documentation on 4.2 anywhere from OSS so they must of just patched the existing functionality.  I wish Bill Wilkinson (he wrote BASIC XE) could shed some light on this..

Try this:

https://seriouscomputerist.atariverse.com/pages/language/language.basic.htm

23 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

There should be no need to patch anything for SIDE3 compatibility and I know of no such .OSS file which exists. The .OSS files patched for SIDE2 compatibility would have been created to account for the fact the ROMs which run on that cart were themselves patched by @ebiguy. I'm not aware of anything patched for Ultimate Cart either, nor of why this might be necessary.

Good to know, Thx! so Draco030's ARC file (extracted) should work in Altirra no prob blem mo!

21 minutes ago, KPeter said:

Nice Page!!!  I will add it to my bookmark resource links Thx!! .... I physically have two of the original Basic XE OSS manuals, Cart and Ext. Disk (purchased in 1985).  Unfortunately,  I don't see any mention in this page of Basic XE 4.2 unless I missed something. 

Edited by rsh

21 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

Of course, if BASICXE works under SIDE3 with right Extension file, what is not the same with SIDE2 version, you do not need ULTIMATE Cart ... Draco030 made the final patch on Extension file to work under SDX 4.49e ...

• 7 months later...
On 7/13/2021 at 12:43 PM, KPeter said:

Of course, if BASICXE works under SIDE3 with right Extension file, what is not the same with SIDE2 version, you do not need ULTIMATE Cart ... Draco030 made the final patch on Extension file to work under SDX 4.49e ...

Where is this BASICXE.OSS file available that works with SIDE3?  The one I have (the original) locks up the 800XL.

• 4 months later...

I'm trying to get Altirra to run basic XE 4.2 with the extension disk that @drac030 created.  It won't boot directly keeps flipping A8 window...  but when I move the .OSS file from the arc to

BXE42EXT.ARC 44.55 kB · 26 downloads

another DOS like the original 2.0a disk.  It boots and loads the extensions (or appears to... (i see the extensions screen)) .   Running the showpic.bxe program fails with strange error on line 1280.   Doesn't like pmmove command even

though the editor says its syntax is correct.    I have all the bin images from atarwikiv3 for basic XE 4.2 (page provides no v4.2 extensions atr disk)... Could someone post a working Dos2.0a version of Basic XE v4.2 extensions disk.  

Maybe I should try the SIDE3 emulator with Altirra but I think everyone would just want a v4.2 extension disk that will work with any cart/bin configuration.