IGNORED

Japan Vs. Rest of the World: Who has created the best games?

Japan Vs. Rest of the World: Who has created the best games?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Japan Vs. Rest of the World: Who has created the best games?

• Japan
    • The rest of the World

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

18 hours ago, Badaboom said:

Exactly...

That's fair, then :jap:

Still the "nihongo japanese fream" was undeserved. I got the point, but since the topic was about "Japan VS the world" (as stupid as it is) I read all yours comments as talking about "in general" not " the US market" which obviously, as you said "computer gaming was a Western thing" really read as "Japan didn't had any computer game" thus why I went about talking about the Japanese market.

6 hours ago, CatPix said:

That's fair, then :jap:

Still the "nihongo japanese fream" was undeserved. I got the point, but since the topic was about "Japan VS the world" (as stupid as it is) I read all yours comments as talking about "in general" not " the US market" which obviously, as you said "computer gaming was a Western thing" really read as "Japan didn't had any computer game" thus why I went about talking about the Japanese market.

It's ok, and I appologize for the snide comment.

I know that Japan had a thriving console and computer market. I was pointing out the fact that was an unknown market for us in North America and thus impossible for us to pass judgment on the merit or lack thereof of that gaming scene. We can only go with what we played back then and, sadly, this exclude the vast majority of the japanese computer scene.

Japan profited of the demise of Atari on the console front, but they didn't have a chance on the computer front in NA or Europe since the market was already full. 

Before the crash, obvious Japanese names were buried behind US names like Bally (Taito and Namco used Bally, and that caused the best home version of Pac-Man, Muncher, combined with the fact Atari bought the hone rights directly from Namco to be a "bootleg game")

It seems the only real game jingoists are the Japanese.  (Atari partnered with Namco to slip Atari games in Japan and Namco games in America)

The only non-purely Japanese system that succeeded in Japan was Sega Saturn, and that was the period Sega of Japan gave a publicly broadcast proverbial middle finger to the rest of the world (especially foreign Sega divisions).  Most people in Japan assosicate Atari with a specific "I got you surrounded" concept in the game Go than with a video game company.  

Europe welcomed games and  names around the world.  American pre crash accepted world games, but not world company names.  (Especially Japanese). But Japanese have the most jingoistic tastes in video games..