IGNORED

Sophia and VBXE?

1 hour ago, flashjazzcat said:

No. You can install both, but you can't feed VBXE RGB video out of the Sophia. 

How about this option:  Make a cable to feed the VBXE RGB video to the Sophia's DVI connection board.  So this way, you're not using (or installing) the FPGA part of the Sophia at all, you're only using the DVI connection board as an output for the installed VBXE RGB board.

This also might offer another upgrade path for Sophia 1 users (like myself):  Use the existing DVI connection board we already have and pair it with a VBXE RGB board (and custom cable to connect to it) rather than a Sophia 2 to connect to it.

1 hour ago, pixelmischief said:

How is the software 80-column through the Sophia?

Sophia has no 80 column hardware text mode. You should find that software 80 column text (such as that produced by The Last Word) is exceptionally clear, though.

How is compatibility?

Sophia should remain completely transparent to all software and hardware. In practice, however, I have ran into two machines which had DVI image problems apparently related to Phi2 timing on the host machine which upset the PLLs on the Sophia. Both machines were NTSC. Problems were eventually resolved with relative ease, however.

1 hour ago, flashjazzcat said:

In practice, however, I have ran into two machines which had DVI image problems apparently related to Phi2 timing on the host machine which upset the PLLs on the Sophia.

How did this manifest? I have a 1088XEL with Sophia that won't sync with any monitor I have on DVI (I only have a couple to test at home to be fair). But if I run the video signal through a Framemeister, all is well.

5 minutes ago, gnusto said:

How did this manifest?

The first one manifested itself as actual graphical corruption in certain games. The second one (a 1200XL) resulted in 'Out of Range' errors on the display device. I'd be somewhat open minded to the idea of monitor quirks here (in the second case) were it not for the fact that things worked perfectly well after I replaced 74LS08 with an F08 part. But then they stopped working again, only to put themselves right, so I really don't know. I contacted Simius about the issue and what I wrote above is a precis of what he told me. It may well be that a combination of certain DVI resolutions and certain Phi2 characteristics and 60 FPS creates some edge case for the LG TV/Monitor.

Edited by flashjazzcat

9 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

How does one propose to connect a 15KHz analogue RGB signal output to a passive DVI connector which expects digital video data?

Well, shoot!  I guess that won't work.  Thanks for setting me straight, Jon.

22 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

How does one propose to connect a 15KHz analogue RGB signal output to a passive DVI connector which expects digital video data?

11 hours ago, irich2 said:

Well, shoot!  I guess that won't work.  Thanks for setting me straight, Jon.

I went back and looked at Lotharek's VBXE Installation manual (I should have done that before I asked my original question, as that would have told me right then and there that a direct DVI connection would not be possible), and I noticed he gave two example connections that could be made: a SCART connector and a DB-9 connector.  So my new question is this: how about connecting the VBXE analogue RGB signal output to a DE-HD15 (i.e. VGA) style connector, which does support analogue video data?  Is that doable? 

1 hour ago, irich2 said:

So my new question is this: how about connecting the VBXE analogue RGB signal output to a DE-HD15 (i.e. VGA) style connector, which does support analogue video data?  Is that doable? 

Even if this works nothing would be gained, as the VBXE signal remains analogue. The topic starter wants 80 columns on the digital output. 

Edited by Dinadan67

23 hours ago, flashjazzcat said:

Actually DVI has analog pins, but still makes no sense.

• 2 weeks later...

Are Syncalc and GT Data Manager compatible with VBXE?  I mean, will I get 80 columns there as well?

I doubt it, unless they happen to call CIOV in order to display characters on the screen. And even if they did, they would probably be wholly unaware of the extra columns.

5 minutes ago, pixelmischief said:

What?  Developing software on my whim and for my approval is not your life's highest calling?

No, no - I'm delighted when something I write proves useful to others. :) I probably need a change of scene to recharge the old batteries, is all. :)