IGNORED

MAME HSC ROUND 3/10 - Alien vs. Predator / Defender

This round's game 1 of 2:

Alien vs. Predator

ROM Name: Alien vs. Predator (USA 940520)

ROM File: avspu

Picked by: youxia

DIP settings (changes from default shown in RED )

Internal defaults. 

This round's game 2 of 2:

Defender

ROM Name: Defender (Red Label)

ROM File: defender

Picked by: MAME Offender

DIP settings (changes from default shown in RED )

Twin Galaxies marathon settings.  These should be already set as default, unless you have changed them some time in the past.

Difficulty: 5 (moderate)

Bonus life: 10,000

Lives: 3

Rules:

• Please change your DIPs to the settings listed.  If you're unsure how to do this, please ask
  • Screenshots required
  • No continues
  • No save states
  • No cheats
  • Any working version of MAME can be used, but the ROMs provided for this competition will be verified to work on MAME v0.139.  The "user interface" version of MAME v0.139 can be downloaded at: http://www.progettosnaps.net/mameui/

Competition ends: Sunday , August 9 at 11:59pm PST

Previous Round Results:

Renegade

hero2billions

100.0%

Cynicaster

36.8%

MAME Offender

34.6%

Razzie.P

12.5%

youxia

12.0%

AtariWarlord

8.0%

S.BAZ

2.9%

Floyd Turbo

2.4%

roadrunner

1.5%

jblenkle

0.5%

Twin Cobra

MAME Offender

100.0%

Razzie.P

50.1%

Cynicaster

30.2%

S.BAZ

24.8%

youxia

17.0%

Floyd Turbo

13.4%

roadrunner

10.7%

AtariWarlord

9.7%

hero2billions

8.0%

jblenkle

2.4%

Standings to Date:

Razzie.P

65.64%

MAME Offender

38.01%

Cynicaster

33.67%

hero2billions

33.38%

S.BAZ

23.37%

youxia

19.13%

AtariWarlord

10.77%

Floyd Turbo

6.94%

roadrunner

5.19%

jblenkle

2.54%

avspu.zip defender.zip

Edited by Cynicaster

1 hour ago, AtariWarlord said:

I don't see any dip switch options for Defender. Is there a way to check these just to make sure they're correct?

With Defender and other Williams games you can’t change DIPs using the tab menu in MAME; you have to follow some convoluted method of holding down F2 during startup and blah blah blah... I forget the details, honestly. 

Unless you think there’s some chance that you followed that process in the past to change settings then you will be ok.  That’s pretty much why I went with default settings because I don’t want everyone struggling with the setup.  

If you want to be absolutely sure, you can just delete defender.cfg which will force it back to defaults.  

• Like 1

I'm usually pretty good for just accepting that difficulty is part and parcel to arcade games, and dealing with it.  But for me, Defender is a whole other level from most games.  It transcends "difficult" and flirts with "punishing."  I struggle to muster the motivation to even try with it anymore, to be honest.  So I'll probably just post the same old 20k-ish score I get every time I try to play this game, and be done with it. 

Three brawlers in a row, nice. The RNG god will probably only draw labyrinth games from now on though ?

I wasn't any good at arcade games back in the day, and these few times I tried to play Defender (it was in my local) I maybe got past the first wave max, being bewildered by its many buttons and insane pace. And yet, I always knew it's a special game, one of the best action titles ever, kinda reminding me of Quake when it comes to offering you the absolute control of the gameflow and demanding you are in the zone at all times.

I got it from watching my classmate, who somehow was a Defender pro, despite being as poor as the rest of us and having no console or micro to practice on. This guy could play forever on one credit and it was the first (and last?) time ever I saw somebody resetting the score, multiple times. Watching him do all the impossible stuff in this game was an incredible experience.

I've never played it since, dismissing the idea as ridiculous. But now, after my arcade rebirth...ha. Maybe I'll get to Wave 3 at least :)

Edited by youxia
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Cynicaster said:

I'm usually pretty good for just accepting that difficulty is part and parcel to arcade games, and dealing with it.  But for me, Defender is a whole other level from most games.  It transcends "difficult" and flirts with "punishing."  I struggle to muster the motivation to even try with it anymore, to be honest.  So I'll probably just post the same old 20k-ish score I get every time I try to play this game, and be done with it. 

Twenty thousand-ish is better than 99 per cent of the world's population could ever accomplish on Defender. 

On 7/28/2020 at 9:43 AM, Cynicaster said:

My combined score from 5 games doesn't make 20,000