IGNORED

MAME HSC ROUND 3/10 - Alien vs. Predator / Defender

Defender - 25,125

When it all clicks in Defender, and you are in the zone, it's better than sex. In other times I feel like the guy in pink jumper:

Yes, Renegade is much smarter than AvP, and most of the brawlers. But I still love AvP because its bone-crunchin' alien-punchin' laser-fryin' gameplay is extremely satisfying. I've never got past the second boss yet...maybe this time?

• Haha 1

On 7/29/2020 at 4:32 PM, Razzie.P said:

Alien V Predator -- 633,100

If time allows, I think I can get deep into this one.  Maybe finish it  ?   My first few runs on Defender seemed pretty hopeless, though.  I've only played the 2600 version, so I figured it'd be about the same. Yeah... it ain't

AvP_0001.jpg

As far as console Defender is concerned, to date I've played 2600 Defender, 2600 Stargate (Defender II), NES Defender II and 5200 Defender. None of them come close to the difficulty of the arcade original, except perhaps 5200 Defender on account of the atrocious controls. 

Alien V Predator -- 1,035,700

So close to having the boss of that round beaten, but I blew it.  Or it cheated.  Or somewhere in the middle.

I was taking my time, being super-cautious, and near the end of the level, the "hurry the hell up, you're about out of time" crap started popping up, so I had to take some risks and paid for it by having only half life when I made it to the boss.  

I was thinking I'd be able to finish this one on a single credit (play safe, no point pressing) but now I'm not so sure.

AVP0001.jpg.acf8d25e904a6c614be411644b7183e9.jpg

• Like 2

Defender -  34,775

AvP - 655,100

I'm past the "absolute beginner" stage in Defender now and start seeing glimpses of what can be done, and somehow doing it. It's exhilirating - simply the best arcade game ever. From 1981. Funny. Surprised all the other shoot'em up devs just didn't call it a day, because it's something you can't top.

I always used to play as the 2nd Predator in AvP and have never done much with it (though it's a lot of fun to play). Just got past the 2nd boss today, and died in the armored car shootout. Then I wanted to take pic of my score, but I had to play again to get to the table, so I chose the cyborg man, just for kicks - and got that 650K score, without actually that much effort. Talk about OP... I guess this is the compo-friendly character.

IMG_20200807_155619.jpg

IMG_20200806_165355.jpg

4 hours ago, youxia said:

Then I wanted to take pic of my score, but I had to play again to get to the table, 

You can hold the Fast Forward key (I think it's "insert" by default) to quickly skip to the HS Table.   It'll run through the game intro, then show a character intro with their moveset, and then the HS Table.

On 8/6/2020 at 2:02 PM, youxia said:

I'm past the "absolute beginner" stage in Defender now and start seeing glimpses of what can be done, and somehow doing it. It's exhilirating - simply the best arcade game ever. From 1981. Funny. Surprised all the other shoot'em up devs just didn't call it a day, because it's something you can't top.

IMG_20200806_165355.jpg

I wonder if all Defender guys get this "feeling" youx is referring to.  I know exactly what he is talking about.   

My high on Defender is 222,200.   During that game, I felt like an absolute coinop Rockstar!!! 

For me, the games that give me that "feeling" are Donkey Kong, Defender and Pacman.

On 8/8/2020 at 8:17 AM, M.A.M.E Offender said:

I wonder if all Defender guys get this "feeling" youx is referring to.  I know exactly what he is talking about.   

My high on Defender is 222,200.   During that game, I felt like an absolute coinop Rockstar!!! 

For me, the games that give me that "feeling" are Donkey Kong, Defender and Pacman.

Depends on what you mean.  I get what he's referring to, as in "I totally understand it," yep.   But if you mean do we get the feeling while playing Defender, then nope... I'm still at the "this game makes me feel like I've never played video games before and just now learning how they work" type of feeling.   

it's a fine game, but me and it just haven't clicked yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

Depends on what you mean.  I get what he's referring to, as in "I totally understand it," yep.   But if you mean do we get the feeling while playing Defender, then nope... I'm still at the "this game makes me feel like I've never played video games before and just now learning how they work" type of feeling.   

it's a fine game, but me and it just haven't clicked yet.

It's really only the control setup which makes Defender as hard as it is. The thrust and reverse commands are a pain in the ass -- compare it to, say, Defender II aka Stargate on the 2600 and the ability to simply fly in the direction you want makes all the difference. 

I'm pretty much maxed out at 15,000 on Defender, even though I've arguably played it more than any MAME HSC game simply because -- for all of its rage fuel -- I genuinely love the game.