IGNORED

Analogue Pocket

sgrddy

The Lynx adapter is available separately. It is not included. I also wonder a bit on the fact that there is no ROM code in the Analogue Pocket. This also means that it cannot boot everything a real Lynx can. Some people may rely on an existing ROM in the unit.

On 7/28/2020 at 2:01 PM, sage said:

i says i *will* get an card adaper, not that it plays lynx games

ps unil now i have no seen a working lynx core yet

Hmm ok. We will have to see. I can't imagine that it wouldn't. Didn't Time Warner release all the rights to the Jaguar and Lynx anyways? 

On 7/29/2020 at 4:34 AM, karri said:

The Lynx adapter is available separately. It is not included. I also wonder a bit on the fact that there is no ROM code in the Analogue Pocket. This also means that it cannot boot everything a real Lynx can. Some people may rely on an existing ROM in the unit.

if they copied my code from the emulation core, it will work for 99.x% of the roms. beside some homebrew demos maybe

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sage said:

if they copied my code from the emulation core, it will work for 99.x% of the roms. beside some homebrew demos maybe

AFAIK, the Pocket is solely FPGA based, so it means that they had to write their own Lynx emulation core in Verilog or something like that. For their previous products (NES, Genesis/MD, SNES), they had legendary programmer Kevtris to create cores for them, so I'm somehow confident they will manage to produce a faithful Lynx core too!

But I'm curious to see how they managed to get over the bootrom requirement though. Maybe by creating their own "non-proprietary" bootrom code?

Edited by drludos
  • Like 2

It's worth noting that the total cost of turning the Analogue into a consolized Lynx will be quite high. A $200 base unit plus another hundred for the dock, sixteen bucks for the screen protector, and thirty for the Lynx adapter...puts this right up there with bdoi's working (and available) consolized Lynx with VGA adapter and Lynxified d-pad controller. I'll probably end up opting in to this system because of its overall flexibility, but cheap it is not.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Well, either that pre-order sold out extremely quickly or something went awry. Hmm...

It was sold out in less than 10 minutes.  A lot of people are upset about it, but I've been on a couple of pre-orders like this recently and this actually went pretty smoothly.  The Elegoo Saturn pre-order a few weeks ago sold out in less than 5 minutes and the site was practically unusable the whole time.

• Like 2

I was on the site waiting for it to go live, put it in my cart when it did, hit refresh a couple of times wondering why the Lynx adapter wasn't going live, then my cart was empty due to being sold out.

I've seen that happen with two other pre-orders in the past month.  Both were errors with the website.  One of them was fixed about 30 minutes later and the other was re-opened the following week after errors were corrected.  I kept checking back every so often on the analogue site, but I've seen no mention of errors.

I almost got upset, but the way I'm looking at it is: it's a fairly expensive device (especially when you consider that I was going to buy the dock, the game gear and the Lynx adapters to go with it).  If they don't care to meet demand and don't want my money, I'll find a better use for it.  I'm not going to waste energy on artificial scarcity or jumping through hoops to get a product I don't really need in the first place.  I have other ways to play all the games (original consoles and emulation devices), so pfft 'em.

• Like 3

I'm just going to wait until the launch now. I was only going to buy it for the Lynx add-on, and I'll save myself a good chunk of money if the adapter never does materialize. I actually don't like the design of this unit; going with a horizontal design, a la Lynx/GG/PSP/Vita/Evercade is just so much easier for long-term play.

• Like 1

I managed to get a pre-order through for the white model.  I debated going the modded route, but when this was announced, I figured this would be the more ideal option.  Besides, I'd really hate to mod my good Lynx because it's still new in the box.  

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

The Analogue Pocket got me super jazzed.   It's the first new retro hardware that's had me interested in a while, and the first Analogue product... really ever.  I haven't pre-ordered one, but do plan to do so the first time it's reasonable.  And by "reasonable" I mean I can just sit down and order one without refreshing my screen for an hour.  The delay... is disappointing.  I feel like this was probably something that should have been made public earlier.  I'm inclined to think it was clear the initial date would not have been met some time before the delay was announced.  That said, there's a lot that separates the situation from something like the Amico.  First, Analogue has a consistent track record delivering very similar products.  Second, the Pocket doesn't rely on an extensive ecosystem outside of the product itself-- Analogue doesn't have to make an online service or even games for it.  All Analogue has to do is make sure the core product is sound and release it.  I might not be happy about the timetable, but still very eager for this device. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Keatah said:

Online ecosystems run by startups or tiny companies are more a liability for the consumer than an added bonus.

To the user they aren't polished or extensive enough. And the owner/developer doesn't grow them fast enough. They're also buggy and not active enough either.

Completely agree.  That's why I like this kind of project: just make the best game boy ever made.  BYO games.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, godslabrat said:

The Analogue Pocket got me super jazzed.   It's the first new retro hardware that's had me interested in a while, and the first Analogue product... really ever.  I haven't pre-ordered one, but do plan to do so the first time it's reasonable.  And by "reasonable" I mean I can just sit down and order one without refreshing my screen for an hour.  The delay... is disappointing.  I feel like this was probably something that should have been made public earlier.  I'm inclined to think it was clear the initial date would not have been met some time before the delay was announced.  That said, there's a lot that separates the situation from something like the Amico.  First, Analogue has a consistent track record delivering very similar products.  Second, the Pocket doesn't rely on an extensive ecosystem outside of the product itself-- Analogue doesn't have to make an online service or even games for it.  All Analogue has to do is make sure the core product is sound and release it.  I might not be happy about the timetable, but still very eager for this device. 

All I’ll say on this is the “ but Anaologue is more consistent and reliable “ is a common rationalization for those against the Amico so looks like you are part of that herd mental download subscription and it is logically flawed since if they are more consistent and reliable and have a simpler product they should have had it out the door sooner and have better foresight. I’m not blaming them, I’m just saying that rationalization doesn’t hold water. 

3 minutes ago, Swami said:

All I’ll say on this is the “ but Anaologue is more consistent and reliable “ is a common response for those against the Amico and it is logically flawed since if they are more consistent and reliable and have a simpler product they should have had it out the door sooner and have better foresight. I’m not blaming them, I’m just saying that response  doesn’t hold water. 

It absolutely holds water.  Analogue has shipped multiple products.  Intellivision has shipped zero.  The track record for the latter makes it reasonable to guess that the resulting product will be of similar quality (after a regrettable delay).  Intellivision has no track record, so there's no expectation regarding their output.

• Like 1