IGNORED

Another Heavy Sixer with issues...

mathflicks2901

Hello everyone,

It has been quite a while since I have posted on this forum, and I am glad to be back. My collection of vintage computers, consoles, and other electronics has increased significantly. With this, I purchased an official Sunnyvale heavy sixer with two paddles and CX-10 joysticks in addition to my other defective heavy sixer. The most recent one I got with the included paddles and joysticks at first has no snowy picture, no problems with peripherals working, and perfect sound. However, with that being said, there is a small problem of some colors randomly changing hues on different games (not all of them, as far as I can tell). Also, when I first received it, the games would start normally, but after a while the screen became a fuzzy grey. It hasn't happened recently, but it worries me that something is wrong inside the Atari. I read up on other posts that this can happen as a result of a faulty av cable, a faulty capacitor, or the power regulator failing. Is it possible that either of them are nonfunctional, if not all? If I need to repair a part of the console, how much would it cost and what materials would I need to use? Thank you for replying,

Matt S.

They symptoms you describe can be caused by several different components starting to fail. The best thing to do would be to open up the machine and then start a game and let the machine run until you see the problem manifest itself. At that point, measure the voltage output from the voltage regulator. If it’s not a pretty rock-steady +5V or very close (say, 4.95V to about 5.05V), replace it. If the VR is good, measure the Vcc on each of the three main IC’s (TIA pin 20, 6507 pin 4, RIOT pin 20). It should be very close to +5V and steady.

If all your voltages are good and steady, then the next thing I’d look at is the color potentiometer. When the colors go weird, touch the color pot and apply a little pressure to see if they clear up suddenly. If so, you probably have some corrosion on the potentiometer. With the power off, spray the color pot with a good contact cleaner, cycle it end to end 6 - 10 times and then let the cleaner dry. Test the system after that. 

If the problem still persists, it might be the TIA chip going bad, in which case the only solution is to replace it. It might also be a component inside the RF modulator. That can be serviced but most people would either A/V mod the system instead or replace the entire RF modulator.

Good luck!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

They symptoms you describe can be caused by several different components starting to fail. The best thing to do would be to open up the machine and then start a game and let the machine run until you see the problem manifest itself. At that point, measure the voltage output from the voltage regulator. If it’s not a pretty rock-steady +5V or very close (say, 4.95V to about 5.05V), replace it. If the VR is good, measure the Vcc on each of the three main IC’s (TIA pin 20, 6507 pin 4, RIOT pin 20). It should be very close to +5V and steady.

If all your voltages are good and steady, then the next thing I’d look at is the color potentiometer. When the colors go weird, touch the color pot and apply a little pressure to see if they clear up suddenly. If so, you probably have some corrosion on the potentiometer. With the power off, spray the color pot with a good contact cleaner, cycle it end to end 6 - 10 times and then let the cleaner dry. Test the system after that. 

If the problem still persists, it might be the TIA chip going bad, in which case the only solution is to replace it. It might also be a component inside the RF modulator. That can be serviced but most people would either A/V mod the system instead or replace the entire RF modulator.

Good luck!

Thank you very much, DrVenkman! I will try that for sure.

• 2 weeks later...