IGNORED

#FujiNet Testing and Bug Reporting Thread

Do any of the new testers have an XEL/XLD machine? Could you try and boot to the Fujinet config with the internal SIO2PC unplugged.

I can't get it to boot at all like that. Luckily I installed my SIO2PC card with pinheaders so I can unplug it, Fujinet boots fine after that. Its the only thing that doesn't want to play nice with the XEL so far.

Updated to the latest firmware using the awesome firmware update tool and now I can't connect to my wifi again. Long time testers will be aware of the grief this gave me in early revisions of the board. I've even reconfigured my network to split the 5G and 2.4G antennas to different SSID's and I still can't get connected.

We got this working in previous versions of the firmware, whatever the problem was it just went away after a while without anyone knowing what they did to fix it, looks like now it's back.

It boots, gives me my MAC, shows the available networks, I pick mine, it asks for the passphrase, I enter it, it makes a regular tick sound and then says it cannot connect, then it clears the screen and the process starts again.

1 minute ago, Mr Robot said:

Updated to the latest firmware using the awesome firmware update tool and now I can't connect to my wifi again. Long time testers will be aware of the grief this gave me in early revisions of the board. I've even reconfigured my network to split the 5G and 2.4G antennas to different SSID's and I still can't get connected.

We got this working in previous versions of the firmware, whatever the problem was it just went away after a while without anyone knowing what they did to fix it, looks like now it's back.

It boots, gives me my MAC, shows the available networks, I pick mine, it asks for the passphrase, I enter it, it makes a regular tick sound and then says it cannot connect, then it clears the screen and the process starts again.

Can you open the update tool and press the monitor button, and boot your system? The monitoring output might be useful here.

-Thom

8 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

It might be worth trying to setup your SSID & Password in a config file on SD Card. The FujiNet should automatically pull it in at boot.

Create a text file on the sd card named fconfig.ini and put this in it (obviously change the SSID and Password):

[WiFi]
SSID=MrRobotsAwesomeWiFiSSID
passphrase=SuperTopSecretWiFiPassw0rd

17 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

Can you open the update tool and press the monitor button, and boot your system? The monitoring output might be useful here.

-Thom

You mean the view logs button?

Using '/dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART' as serial port.
Showing logs:
[15:30:48]R

Tried again

Showing logs:
Serial port closed!
[15:34:11]N((?S@#`J.`8qSB0߄ք?J8qJw(()>o!vNyFSB0߄x((>Sg|FBz	_J* NS`)qg3>o!ާo.:>SB0(ք[15:34:13]	F8`J	9)(?o%!t#	{	_	Hm%{g	ބ($	q^!w(քĀ?[15:34:14]ֆ	Cߧ'R߄ք	Jw(քB#J$e

that all happened during the boot before the list of available ssid's was displayed

13 minutes ago, mozzwald said:

It might be worth trying to setup your SSID & Password in a config file on SD Card. The FujiNet should automatically pull it in at boot.

Create a text file on the sd card named fconfig.ini and put this in it (obviously change the SSID and Password):

[WiFi]
SSID=MrRobotsAwesomeWiFiSSID
passphrase=SuperTopSecretWiFiPassw0rd

Just ignored that and came up as before

3 minutes ago, mozzwald said:

If you see "View Logs" button then you need the newer flash tool. The latest one displays "Serial Debug Output" button instead.

Got it from fujinet.online/download

Just tried to get the latest, I get a "Page Not Found" error now

https://fujinet.online/firmware-dl/FujiNet-Flasher_macos.zip

Correct link is

https://fujinet.online/firmware-dl/FujiNet-Flasher_macos-10.15-catalina.zip

Trying again

Same result. I flashed again, I know how fast stuff changes here :)

Using latest firmware from fujinet.online..
Connecting........_
Detecting chip type... ESP32
Connecting....

Chip Info:
 - Chip Family: ESP32
 - Chip Model: ESP32D0WDQ5 (revision 1)
 - Number of Cores: 2
 - Max CPU Frequency: 240MHz
 - Has Bluetooth: YES
 - Has Embedded Flash: NO
 - Has Factory-Calibrated ADC: YES
 - MAC Address: 4C:11:AE:DB:E3:AC
Uploading stub...
Running stub...
Stub running...
Changing baud rate to 460800
Changed.
 - Flash Size: 16MB
 - Firware path: Latest from fujinet.online
 - Flash Mode: dio
 - Flash Frequency: 40MHz
Erasing flash (this may take a while)...
Chip erase completed successfully in 14.2s
Compressed 26000 bytes to 15014...
Writing at 0x00001000... (100 %)Wrote 26000 bytes (15014 compressed) at 0x00001000 in 0.3 seconds (effective 604.5 kbit/s)...
Hash of data verified.
Compressed 3072 bytes to 128...
Writing at 0x00008000... (100 %)Wrote 3072 bytes (128 compressed) at 0x00008000 in 0.0 seconds (effective 2377.0 kbit/s)...
Hash of data verified.
Compressed 8192 bytes to 47...
Writing at 0x0000e000... (100 %)Wrote 8192 bytes (47 compressed) at 0x0000e000 in 0.0 seconds (effective 7455.1 kbit/s)...
Hash of data verified.
Compressed 1850448 bytes to 1063405...
Writing at 0x00110000... (100 %)Wrote 1850448 bytes (1063405 compressed) at 0x00010000 in 24.4 seconds (effective 605.7 kbit/s)...
Hash of data verified.
Compressed 2097152 bytes to 278293...
Writing at 0x00c50000... (100 %)Wrote 2097152 bytes (278293 compressed) at 0x00c10000 in 7.0 seconds (effective 2403.0 kbit/s)...
Hash of data verified.

Leaving...
Hard Resetting...
Done! Flashing is complete!

Showing logs:
[15:46:47]ets Jun  8 2016 00:22:57
[15:46:47]
[15:46:47]rst:0x10 (RTCWDT_RTC_RESET),boot:0x13 (SPI_FAST_FLASH_BOOT)
[15:46:47]configsip: 0, SPIWP:0xee
[15:46:47]clk_drv:0x00,q_drv:0x00,d_drv:0x00,cs0_drv:0x00,hd_drv:0x00,wp_drv:0x00
[15:46:47]mode:DIO, clock div:2
[15:46:47]load:0x3fff0018,len:4
[15:46:47]load:0x3fff001c,len:5176
[15:46:47]load:0x40078000,len:15912
[15:46:47]load:0x40080400,len:4804
[15:46:47]entry 0x400806a0
[15:46:59]N)	?=\ev(߄N/#[15:47:00]oJvqJ	S@	B")`('ČS9)A#bJ	8(%[15:47:00]ք	J	NĀBvNyFJ	.
[15:47:01](S׆8qo%ߧNJ	(8q

still ignores fconfig.ini, I tried renaming to ifconfig.ini just in case it was a typo, ignored that too

2 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

Same result. I flashed again, I know how fast stuff changes here

Exit the flash tool, make sure fuji is plugged in to computer, reopen the tool and hit the Serial Debug Output button, hit reset on fujinet (right button).

Some other Mac users reported issues with the high baud rate (921600). Alternatively, try some other serial monitor program for Mac.

2 hours ago, mozzwald said:

Exit the flash tool, make sure fuji is plugged in to computer, reopen the tool and hit the Serial Debug Output button, hit reset on fujinet (right button).

Some other Mac users reported issues with the high baud rate (921600). Alternatively, try some other serial monitor program for Mac.

Currently working to get this installed on a raspberry pi

Apparently wxPython is going to be compiling for a few hours now, I'll have to come back to this tomorrow

I can confirm - my FujiNet is not recognized and will not boot my 1088XEL. I see very faint lights on the top-panel SIO TX/RX light that blink rapidly, and a very slowly repeating BOOT ERROR message on the machine but that's it. I haven't yet tested with my 1088XLD - however, since the XLD has no integral SIO2PC device, I doubt there will be any issue there. I'll check this tomorrow to be sure. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

Do any of the new testers have an XEL/XLD machine? Could you try and boot to the Fujinet config with the internal SIO2PC unplugged.

I can't get it to boot at all like that. Luckily I installed my SIO2PC card with pinheaders so I can unplug it, Fujinet boots fine after that. Its the only thing that doesn't want to play nice with the XEL so far.

4 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

I can confirm - my FujiNet is not recognized and will not boot my 1088XEL. I see very faint lights on the top-panel SIO TX/RX light that blink rapidly, and a very slowly repeating BOOT ERROR message on the machine but that's it. I haven't yet tested with my 1088XLD - however, since the XLD has no integral SIO2PC device, I doubt there will be any issue there. I'll check this tomorrow to be sure. 

I thought we already determined that it won't work on the 1088XEL with SIO2PC because it lacks the diode on DATAIN.

4 minutes ago, mozzwald said:

I thought we already determined that it won't work on the 1088XEL with SIO2PC because it lacks the diode on DATAIN.

That determination was before my time - I've only had this thing since Monday. :) I'm just confirming Steve's finding. 

2 hours ago, mozzwald said:

@Mr Robot did you ever try this?

I looked at it and never did it. I realised that it would be pretty involved given where the diode would have to go and wouldn't be reversible if it didn't work. I'd have to cut the blue trace and solder in the yellow diode just to test this.

1583856353_Screenshot2020-07-31at21_37_26.png.5cf2e7449a4287b7032d1004db4b7331.png

I still can't get my head around the idea that this is an XEL problem when everything works fine with the XEL except the Fujinet. Why does a 1050 or a SDrive-MAX boot fine when plugged into the XEL with the SIO2PC disconnected but the Fujinet doesn't? It has to be a Fujinet problem.

Is there some place on the Fujinet I should be adding a missing diode? This is sounding like the issue the SDrive-MAX had that ended up needing a diode (that still didn't work right) or the addon board that @BigBen designed to make it work right.

55 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

I looked at it and never did it. I realised that it would be pretty involved given where the diode would have to go and wouldn't be reversible if it didn't work

add the diode to the ftdi board? should be less painful to cut that

(i also have a feeling that you have that diode reversed on that pic but i'll let someone else doublecheck that)

22 minutes ago, tmp said:

add the diode to the ftdi board? should be less painful to cut that

(i also have a feeling that you have that diode reversed on that pic but i'll let someone else doublecheck that)

Yes, adding the diode to the FTDI board would be the easiest solution, and yep, the diode is in the wrong direction on my drawing.

1 hour ago, Mr Robot said:

I looked at it and never did it. I realised that it would be pretty involved given where the diode would have to go and wouldn't be reversible if it didn't work. I'd have to cut the blue trace and solder in the yellow diode just to test this.

I still can't get my head around the idea that this is an XEL problem when everything works fine with the XEL except the Fujinet. Why does a 1050 or a SDrive-MAX boot fine when plugged into the XEL with the SIO2PC disconnected but the Fujinet doesn't? It has to be a Fujinet problem.

From the Discord logs back on 4/28:

Found it!
It's the onboard SIO2PC that is somehow causing an issue
luckily I socketed mine I didnt solder to the board so when I removed it all the issues went away

According to your post back then, removing the SIO2PC makes the FujiNet work

17 minutes ago, mozzwald said:

Yes, adding the diode to the FTDI board would be the easiest solution, and yep, the diode is in the wrong direction on my drawing.

From the Discord logs back on 4/28:

According to your post back then, removing the SIO2PC makes the FujiNet work

Yes and as I keep saying, leaving it in stops the Fujinet from working but doesn't stop anything else. I did find it, it's a clash between the two devices but I think it's the Fujinet, not the SIO2PC

19 minutes ago, mozzwald said:

and yep, the diode is in the wrong direction on my drawing.

so its a good job I didn't try it!

8 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

Yes and as I keep saying, leaving it in stops the Fujinet from working but doesn't stop anything else. I did find it, it's a clash between the two devices but I think it's the Fujinet, not the SIO2PC

Well, the FTDI board on my 1088XEL is soldered in so in my case I won’t be removing it. Having said that, Steve’s right - the built-in FTDI board coexists perfectly well with real 1050’s and - if your device has the proper isolation board - perfectly well with an SDrive-MAX. If anyone cares to remember, the basic design of the SDrive-MAX tried to isolate that device from the SIO bus with a diode but that ultimately proved ineffective. Instead, this proved to be the ultimate solution - a small secondary PCB with a 7407 buffer chip and two resistors:

I think the implication here is that the reason FujiNet doesn’t want to work with the XEL’s SIO2PC device is similar in nature.

Which reminds me - has anyone (yet?) tested FujiNet with one or more real 1050 drives on the bus as well? I have 2 x Happy 1050’s out and handy, normally connected to my Incognito 800 but I’ve not yet tried them alongside FujiNet.

EDIT: see also generally this tutorial regarding pull-up and pull-down resistors, especially the section further down the page discussing interfacing with open-collectors and open-drains:

https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/logic/pull-up-resistor.html

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

I still think you need the diode on the internal SIO2PC for it to play well with others on the bus. If you're not up for the challenge you could send me your Sparkfun board and I will modify it for you with a SMD diode like this:

12731-02.jpg.87dd1d587204968305f092662a67e7bc.jpg1841507144_Screenshotfrom2020-04-2818-56-23.thumb.png.d8d228fc427a3be2441665e887edb617.png

1 hour ago, DrVenkman said:

Which reminds me - has anyone (yet?) tested FujiNet with one or more real 1050 drives on the bus as well? I have 2 x Happy 1050’s out and handy, normally connected to my Incognito 800 but I’ve not yet tried them alongside FujiNet.

This morning I've done some testing with this configuration on my 800XL:

D1 - FujiNet #1

D2 - 1050

D3 - FujiNet #2

D4 - 1050

FujiNet #2 was configured by itself on the bus as D3 while being powered from USB then removed from the bus. After setting up FujiNet #1, I hot-plugged FujiNet #2. This prevents the virtual FujiNet devices from conflicting with each other.

I was able to read all 4 disks from DOS 2.5.

Edited by mozzwald
typo and grammar fixes
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, mozzwald said:

I still think you need the diode on the internal SIO2PC for it to play well with others on the bus. If you're not up for the challenge you could send me your Sparkfun board and I will modify it for you with a SMD diode like this:

12731-02.jpg.87dd1d587204968305f092662a67e7bc.jpg1841507144_Screenshotfrom2020-04-2818-56-23.thumb.png.d8d228fc427a3be2441665e887edb617.png

This morning I've done some testing with this configuration on my 800XL:

D1 - FujiNet #1

D2 - 1050

D3 - FujiNet #2

D4 - 1050

FujiNet #2 was configured by itself on the bus as D3 while being powered from USB then removed from the bus. After setting up FujiNet #1, I hot-plugged FujiNet #2. This prevents the virtual FujiNet devices from conflicting with each other.

I was able to read all 4 disks from DOS 2.5.

I will order another Sparkfun board and make the change to that so I don't ruin anything I already have working. Do you have a part number for the diode you'd recommend? I'm not familiar with which SMD parts are which so I'll have to get that too.

1 minute ago, Mr Robot said:

I will order another Sparkfun board and make the change to that so I don't ruin anything I already have working. Do you have a part number for the diode you'd recommend? I'm not familiar with which SMD parts are which so I'll have to get that too.

The PMEG2010ER is what I'm using in the FujiNet. It is 3.7mm long. Can you confirm that it will fit b/w the FTDI chip and the TX thru hole pad? Also, to be clear, you need to cut the trace under the diode then solder the diode to the two cut traces.

I'd be happy to send you a few since I have a lot of them.