IGNORED

#FujiNet Testing and Bug Reporting Thread

Thanks for the merges. Curious, was there a reason you did each tool change as a separate pull req? [emoji4]

Ah ok, you answered it. So long as I know what was happening.

-Thom

That was my first submission to an open source project. I'm used to owning the repo in work!

I'll get better at it... [emoji16]

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Hey all!
Just received my FujiNet 1.3 in an XL type case. My SIO cable will not stay plugged into the back of the FujiNet. It just springs out. Unfortunately, I only have one SIO cable. I've tried both ends of the cable.
I've pushed hard, so I know that the cable won't go any farther in. It seems like the pins on the FujiNet are too short or the socket is too deep.
Any idea how I can work around this?

What do you connect with this SIO cable?

Edited by Peri Noid

1 hour ago, Calab said:

Hey all!

Just received my FujiNet 1.3 in an XL type case. My SIO cable will not stay plugged into the back of the FujiNet. It just springs out. Unfortunately, I only have one SIO cable. I've tried both ends of the cable.

I've pushed hard, so I know that the cable won't go any farther in. It seems like the pins on the FujiNet are too short or the socket is too deep.

Any idea how I can work around this?

What type of cable do you have? Can you compare with my pictures here the amount of gap between the cable and receptacle? It should be about 1.5mm gap.

11 hours ago, Calab said:

This is with the cable pushed in as far as it will go. If I touch it, it will spring out of the connector.

That looks to be in all the way. The pins in the FujiNet are short and the pressure from the plug pins is pushing it out. There's not much that can be done about this other than getting a different cable. 

7 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

the metal pins are too short...they only need to be a fraction longer. if that can't be then the socket floor where the pins come through could be printed thinner.

The pins are too short. There's really no way to fix this without longer pins.

3 hours ago, manterola said:

Same here, JAE and Chelco cables work better with Fujinet, particularly JAE.

The JAE cable I have does fit the best

Interesting observation with my modified 130XE and SIO power vs. USB power on Fujinet 1.0.

I've added 512K SRAM, DUAL Pokey and 4in1 OS switch and am using a S-Video cable to LCD.

If I power the Fujinet from SIO, I get minor vertical lines in display and the display has a slight dimness to it.

If I power the Fujinet from USB, vertical lines completely disappear and the display is nice and crisp.

I know the 130XE has poor shielding, but any thoughts why powering the Fujinet off USB would resolve that?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Kyle22 said:

Belt sander time.  Hold the SIO port FLAT w/ the belt and remove 3/16 to 1/8". Trim off the burrs w/ a small pocket knife.

Won't help... The end of the cable plug is bottoming out in the Fujinet connector.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Calab said:

My guess would be that there isn't enough power on the SIO port to power the Fujinet properly.

I'm thinking the same. If I remove the Fujinet all together, the picture is also very crisp and super clean. 

Not an issue. I'll continue to power it separately and either get a USB cable with built in switch OR add on/off switch to the Fujinet. I originally opted to buy the Fujinet w/o the switch.

I was running APE to load files from my laptop, and just noticed it never gets to Ape's R:, whatever I seem to do. I don't actually have a real dialup modem hooked up these days of any kind, so I don't actually need that. I was just going back and forth to see how Fujinet/Ape compare with R: really.

The pins are shrinking to reduce costs so that Mozzwald can retire to a life of luxury. Marlin and Gavin are the same person and that person is secretly a Chinese manufacturer, paid for by the Mozz-Chak corporation. 

Follow the money

Do your own research

Q.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

17 hours ago, NISMOPC said:

Interesting observation with my modified 130XE and SIO power vs. USB power on Fujinet 1.0.

I've added 512K SRAM, DUAL Pokey and 4in1 OS switch and am using a S-Video cable to LCD.

If I power the Fujinet from SIO, I get minor vertical lines in display and the display has a slight dimness to it.

If I power the Fujinet from USB, vertical lines completely disappear and the display is nice and crisp.

I know the 130XE has poor shielding, but any thoughts why powering the Fujinet off USB would resolve that?

I'm using my Fujinet on an Incognito 800, which can work fine without additional power, in the sense that the BIOS load screen gives the Fujinet time to get ready, were stock 400/800 and 1200XL's boot too fast. But just to be on the safe side, with all the upgrades I have installed (beyond the Incognito) I thought it better not to put additional amperage drain on the 800 and have been using the USB power from the start. Of course I use the Atari "universal" PSU, the version with 31VA (3.4 amps), so I think it could handle the extra amperage load. How many amps is your PSU rated for, @NISMOPC? I haven't even tried it without the USB PSU, except when I had to plug it into a PC to flash the latest firmware.

Edited by Gunstar

9 hours ago, cathrynm said:

I was running APE to load files from my laptop, and just noticed it never gets to Ape's R:, whatever I seem to do. I don't actually have a real dialup modem hooked up these days of any kind, so I don't actually need that. I was just going back and forth to see how Fujinet/Ape compare with R: really.

Ahh... it's just because I haven't added switches to turn on/off specific drivers. (This is something that someone wanting to contribute could definitely help with)

Basically, I can speak for FujiNet:

* FujiNet uses Altirra's R: handler. It can bootstrap it in, and it acts like an 850.

* It allocates a 64K RX buffer on the ESP32 heap.

* It has been successfully used in ICE-T at 19200.

* BobTerm can successfully use it under SpartaDOS at 9600.

* It has TELNET processing (ATNET1 followed by a ATTERM+(VT100/VT52/DUMB) command for terminal type)

* It can successfully host BBS Express 1.0, 2.0. and 5.0 instances, as well as FoReM XE Professional instances. In short, it runs BBSes just fine.

* It now has a speed dial feature built in, thanks to @manterola

* Unlike APE, there's source code, and we're actively extending it. It's here: https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-platformio/blob/master/lib/sio/modem.cpp :)

-Thom

Edited by tschak909
  • Like 2

On 1/21/2021 at 11:28 AM, _The Doctor__ said:

the metal pins are too short...they only need to be a fraction longer. if that can't be then the socket floor where the pins come through could be printed thinner.

Who produced that particular Fujinet? I got mine from The Brewing Academy, it seems like it has the same issue, though luckily I don't have to use the pass-thru SIO usually, since I recently installed a second SIO to my 800. Or maybe everyone is using the same 3D printer .stl so all are the same?

20210123_112310.jpg

Edited by Gunstar

1 hour ago, Gunstar said:

I'm using my Fujinet on an Incognito 800, which can work fine without additional power, in the sense that the BIOS load screen gives the Fujinet time to get ready, were stock 400/800 and 1200XL's boot too fast. But just to be on the safe side, with all the upgrades I have installed (beyond the Incognito) I thought it better not to put additional amperage drain on the 800 and have been using the USB power from the start. Of course I use the Atari "universal" PSU, the version with 31VA (3.4 amps), so I think it could handle the extra amperage load. How many amps is your PSU rated for, @NISMOPC? I haven't even tried it without the USB PSU, except when I had to plug it into a PC to flash the latest firmware.

I am using a USB 5v 3A Motorola PSU for the 130XE as well as a generic 5v 3A for the Fujinet - I actually haven't thought about that. I'll try a stock PSU as well on the 130XE w/o USB power to Fujinet to see if any difference. I have several of the nice big PSU's, so I can try them out as well. 

Edited by NISMOPC
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, NISMOPC said:

I am using a USB 5v 3A Motorola PSU for the 130XE as well as a generic 5v 3A for the Fujinet - I actually haven't thought about that. I'll try a stock PSU as well on the 130XE w/o USB power to Fujinet to see if any difference. I have several of the nice big PSU's, so I can try them out as well. 

3A should be plenty though, I thought you might be running on even half that. But, yeah, it wouldn't hurt to try stock PSU's if they output more amps.

Edited by Gunstar

7 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

3A should be plenty though, I thought you might be running on even half that. But, yeah, it wouldn't hurt to try stock PSU's if they output more amps.

Plenty enough - if everything is OK with the computer. Maybe it could use a recap? I use a 3A PSU as well produced by Lotharek, my machine has 320KB of RAM, stereo, a built-in 3.5" floppy drive (yes, really) and Karin Mini floppy drive controller and AVG cart connected. It has completly no problem with additional powering of FujiNet. So, I bet, that 130XE is simply faulty. Or the PSU is only 3A on the paper, while actually it cannot deliver that much.

• Like 1

Change of subject to a possible software/firmware/user error (nothing to do with SIO port pins being short, a problem I've noticed too but such is life ...)

What's the current status of the N: driver? I haven't used it much at all since initial tests last summer. This afternoon I found a BASIC file I wanted to copy over the network to my FujiNet server without first wrapping it up inside an ATR. I drag/dropped it over my LAN to the folder on my RPi server and it's there. So I booted the n-handler .ATR from Thom's server, set my NCD to my local server (HTTP://10.0.0.81/ in my case currently), then exited DOS back to BASIC. Every time I tried to load the file, I get an ERROR -136. 

Got a clue where to start?