IGNORED

#FujiNet Testing and Bug Reporting Thread

OKAY FOUND THE PROBLEM  I must tap "C" configure several times until it set the right address.  The address it was setting was bogus.  3 or 4 times of tapping the "C" key gets things right.  Whew!  My previous question still stands.  Can I use the 5G network that is available to me on the Atari?

• 4 weeks later...

So here's a bizarre FujiNet bug - this file will load on my 576 NUC+ from my TNFS server using either @mytek's integrated FujiNet board, or (with that board turned off), via an earlier external FujiNet board connected via SIO. It will *not* load from either FujiNet device if I load it from the SD card. It will start, get to the text title screen and then after a few more seconds of SIO activity will freeze. The NUC+ FujiNet board was updated just this afternoon, though the external device was updated a week or so ago, so it's a minor version or two out of date, but the behavior regarding this file is identical regardless. What's more, when I tried this file on my Incognito 800 via my external FujiNet, I see similar behaviour: loading from the SD card freezes during load at the text title screen, but loading from my local TNFS server work. 

WTF? Since it's not NUC-specific, I'm posting here in the bug reporting thread.

Here's the file if anyone wants to try to replicate. As per usual with all my ATX files, they are from the A8 Software Preservation torrent. 

Goonies, The (1985)(Datasoft)(US)(NTSC)[!].atx

• 10 months later...
3 minutes ago, rcamp48 said:

Is anyone having problems with the B button sticking on their external Fujinet? I am having it switch to disk 2 and 3 before booting the disk, my other Fujinet works fine, would it be the config from the other fujinet that is causing the problem?

config has no effect on the buttons. It's probably either the switch getting stuck or an issue with the pull up resistor. Make sure the switch shaft isn't getting stuck on the case

7 minutes ago, rcamp48 said:

Is anyone having problems with the B button sticking on their external Fujinet? I am having it switch to disk 2 and 3 before booting the disk, my other Fujinet works fine, would it be the config from the other fujinet that is causing the problem?

Not me personally, but I did just read on the Fujinet Users Group on Facebook about someone having problems that could be related to a sticking button. Something about it switching disks by itself.   https://www.facebook.com/groups/fujinetusers/permalink/3229809470634040/

• Like 1

Hello Calab

8 hours ago, Calab said:

Not me personally, but I did just read on the Fujinet Users Group on Facebook about someone having problems that could be related to a sticking button. Something about it switching disks by itself.   https://www.facebook.com/groups/fujinetusers/permalink/3229809470634040/

I could be wrong, but my guess would be that rcamp48 and the topic starter on Facebook are one and the same person.

Sincerely

Mathy

14 hours ago, Mathy said:

Hello Calab

I could be wrong, but my guess would be that rcamp48 and the topic starter on Facebook are one and the same person.

Sincerely

Mathy

Yep that's me Mathy, still having problems but that button is not sticking cause it works perfectly when connected to a TNFS server loading everything , but I took out the SD card, kind of points towards the card reader.

Edited by rcamp48

51 minutes ago, rcamp48 said:

Yep that's me Mathy, still having problems but that button is not sticking cause it works perfectly when connected to a TNFS server loading everything , but I took out the SD card, kind of points towards the card reader.

I cant think of how the sd card would cause auto disk swapping, but stranger things... Can you capture debug output with fujinet-flasher and paste it here in a spoiler box?

29 minutes ago, mozzwald said:

I cant think of how the sd card would cause auto disk swapping, but stranger things... Can you capture debug output with fujinet-flasher and paste it here in a spoiler box?

I need a 4 pin cable for the external Fujinet there are four pins sticking out , no idea if I need something special like a programmer usb for this arrangement, anyways I will get onto it tomorrow or the next day. Something else has come up so I won't even be near the Atari for a couple of days. But I will do this...

2 minutes ago, rcamp48 said:

I need a 4 pin cable for the external Fujinet there are four pins sticking out , no idea if I need something special like a programmer usb for this arrangement

ah yeah, the nuc fuji has no usb to uart built in so you will need an FTDI or CP2102 (or other) usb to uart board to grab the output

3 hours ago, mozzwald said:

I had a strange issue like this, when I built my Fujinet for internal use on the 576NUC.  It ended up needing a stronger pull-up resistor on one of the pins.  Before I did this, I was getting spurious button presses which were resetting the Fujinet.

34.thumb.jpg.28aa466dde3837c9986ce3671d85ae47.jpg

• Thanks 1

So some people have said that my Fujinet that is built for  NUC 576+ would only work with a NUC 576 + , others have said that because its external, it would work with any A8 Bit computer, could this be my problem , using a Nuc 576 + external fulinet on an 800xl? or is that booting of drives 2 and 3 something out of the ordinary?

On the other hand if someone had a normal Fujinet and wanted a NUcC 576 + external Fujinet then a swap could be made no problem. I will not be the one that is using it, a friend of mine in England has purchased it along with my spare 130 XE... 

Russ

12 minutes ago, rcamp48 said:

some people have said that my Fujinet that is built for  NUC 576+ would only work with a NUC 576 +

I am guessing you have this Fujinet from Brewing Academy which is clearly designed to be connected via SIO cable like any other SIO device so it should work. My best guess is this being a hardware issue of some kind. Do you hear SAM speak the disk swap message when the problem occurs? 

Try some troubleshooting:

Remove SD Card, mount a disk in drive 1 and 2 from a TNFS server, boot. Does it swaps disks?

With SD Card installed, mount a disk in drive 1 and 2 from a TNFS server, boot. Does it swaps disks?

1 minute ago, mozzwald said:

I am guessing you have this Fujinet from Brewing Academy which is clearly designed to be connected via SIO cable like any other SIO device so it should work. My best guess is this being a hardware issue of some kind. Do you hear SAM speak the disk swap message when the problem occurs? 

Try some troubleshooting:

Remove SD Card, mount a disk in drive 1 and 2 from a TNFS server, boot. Does it swaps disks?

With SD Card installed, mount a disk in drive 1 and 2 from a TNFS server, boot. Does it swaps disks?

I have already tried the TNFS server with no card , it boots normally no disk swap, but I have yet to try a server with the card inserted, and yes I can hear SAM giving the disk swap message.

50 minutes ago, rcamp48 said:

So some people have said that my Fujinet that is built for  NUC 576+ would only work with a NUC 576 + , others have said that because its external, it would work with any A8 Bit computer, could this be my problem , using a Nuc 576 + external fulinet on an 800xl? or is that booting of drives 2 and 3 something out of the ordinary?

On the other hand if someone had a normal Fujinet and wanted a NUcC 576 + external Fujinet then a swap could be made no problem. I will not be the one that is using it, a friend of mine in England has purchased it along with my spare 130 XE... 

Russ

There are only 2 Fujinet devices that technically are for the 576 only.  One with, and one without a cart port.  They look like this:
No Cart Port - 07.thumb.jpg.4331d5e7989d5af91ae5ad2e54dd172b.jpg

Cart Port - 10.thumb.jpg.9744a06955fa66ed0a416f1ed5bb1651.jpg

Now - I made my own adapter so I could use my original non cart port, via SIO:
01.thumb.jpg.42d2d24c4012249c489335e695fbdd25.jpg

09.thumb.jpg.2ca0344a726611d9810a06544993eeec.jpg

So - it will be VERY obvious if you have a "576 only" FujiNet.

3 minutes ago, Stephen said:

There are only 2 Fujinet devices that technically are for the 576 only.  One with, and one without a cart port.  They look like this:
No Cart Port - 07.thumb.jpg.4331d5e7989d5af91ae5ad2e54dd172b.jpg

Cart Port - 10.thumb.jpg.9744a06955fa66ed0a416f1ed5bb1651.jpg

Now - I made my own adapter so I could use my original non cart port, via SIO:
01.thumb.jpg.42d2d24c4012249c489335e695fbdd25.jpg

09.thumb.jpg.2ca0344a726611d9810a06544993eeec.jpg

So - it will be VERY obvious if you have a "576 only" FujiNet.

This is my Fujinet, and it says NUC 576 on it, here is the picture of the board:

IMG_3841.JPG

2 minutes ago, rcamp48 said:

This is my Fujinet, and it says NUC 576 on it, here is the picture of the board:

IMG_3841.JPG

Well sir, you do in fact have a 576 only Fujinet!  HOWEVER - I do see that they included an adapter board (TBA posted theirs literally one day after I showed pictures of mine.  Oh well - I had fun making it).

The green PCB with the 2 SIO jacks, is their 576 Fujinet to SIO port adapter.  This means, the device will work on every single Atari, using a standard SIO cable and you also have an open SIO port to daisy chain any other serial device.

ALSO - when I built my red PCB shown above, there was an issue where I was geting spontaneous button presses.  I had to add an extra pull-up resistor to one of the inputs on the ESP32 device.  You can see the mod I did here.  DO NOT COPY THIS - different ESP32 modules have different pinouts, and your PCB layout I am almost certain is different than what is used on this original PCB.

34.thumb.jpg.3a8bbfd39a83c41bacb63bf1b19ae0bf.jpg

Something I can suggest you do.  Start the FujiNet with the USB cable attached making sure to have the SD card inserted and run the debugger.  Just leave everything alone, don't touch any keys or run any software.  If after 15 minutes no spurious button presses appear, try it without the SD card inserted.  The issue on my device had to do with the SD card detection circuit.  I also cannot flash my device unless an SD card is inserted.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Well sir, you do in fact have a 576 only Fujinet!  HOWEVER - I do see that they included an adapter board (TBA posted theirs literally one day after I showed pictures of mine.  Oh well - I had fun making it).

The green PCB with the 2 SIO jacks, is their 576 Fujinet to SIO port adapter.  This means, the device will work on every single Atari, using a standard SIO cable and you also have an open SIO port to daisy chain any other serial device.

ALSO - when I built my red PCB shown above, there was an issue where I was geting spontaneous button presses.  I had to add an extra pull-up resistor to one of the inputs on the ESP32 device.  You can see the mod I did here.  DO NOT COPY THIS - different ESP32 modules have different pinouts, and your PCB layout I am almost certain is different than what is used on this original PCB.

34.thumb.jpg.3a8bbfd39a83c41bacb63bf1b19ae0bf.jpg

Something I can suggest you do.  Start the FujiNet with the USB cable attached making sure to have the SD card inserted and run the debugger.  Just leave everything alone, don't touch any keys or run any software.  If after 15 minutes no spurious button presses appear, try it without the SD card inserted.  The issue on my device had to do with the SD card detection circuit.  I also cannot flash my device unless an SD card is inserted.

I do not have a USB cable for this Fujinet, what should I buy ??? I can get an FTDI cable

16 minutes ago, rcamp48 said:

I do not have a USB cable for this Fujinet, what should I buy ??? I can get an FTDI cable

Damn - sorry, I forgot about that.  Yeah - you will need one of those FTDI serial to USB adapters.  If you look at the top left of your PCB, you will see the relevant pins for connecting the FTDI cable.

That being said - I do not expect a hardware issue with this original PCB you have - mine was perfect.  However, it's tough to say what actual ESP32 device was used on your board.  There is really no way to diagnose this without having the debugger output.  If you need any pics of the FTDI cable I have, let me know and I will post for you.

6 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Damn - sorry, I forgot about that.  Yeah - you will need one of those FTDI serial to USB adapters.  If you look at the top left of your PCB, you will see the relevant pins for connecting the FTDI cable.

That being said - I do not expect a hardware issue with this original PCB you have - mine was perfect.  However, it's tough to say what actual ESP32 device was used on your board.  There is really no way to diagnose this without having the debugger output.  If you need any pics of the FTDI cable I have, let me know and I will post for you.

This is what I was going to order but have to wait until I see if my friend Don has any :

ftdi cables.jpg

I should mention that if I connect to SIO cable to the bottom SIO port on the FN I get the blue light staying on, and I get no booting from the Fujinet, when plugged into the other SIO port it boots , there is obviously a short somewhere in that bottom SIO port, but I don't know where, I might just send the board back to TBA and get a new one.