IGNORED

Ultimate 1MB & Ultimate FJC Firmware

Crc_Error

I am interested in ordering the Ultimate 1Mb upgrade for my 800XL  and was just curious what the difference is between the plain model and the one with the FJC firmware is?  Also is there a cartridge based product that will do what the Ultimate 1Mb does?  Whats the advantage of having the Ultimate 1Mb over a stock A8?  I am just getting back into A8 after 25 years of getting rid of my A8 collection which I shouldn't of.  Sorry for being a newbie or asking stupid questions.

Sorry for earlier post.  I posted in wrong section.  Can someone admins delete it some reason I couldn't.... Thanks

Welcome back!! Yes what seems like an easy decision at the time comes back to haunt us. Good news is that it's not too difficult to replace the hardware but of course it's not the same exact machine(s). The U1MB with FJC has his latest firmware already flashed. Some of the proceeds go to further help his development and that's a good thing. The U1MB page says its benefits. For the most part these are: a real time clock; SpartaDOS X; 1 MB of RAM; four OS ROM slots; a nice loader menu system; hot swapable ATR disk images using the button to play multi-disk games off of hard drive; SELECT+RESET to cold boot.  No cart does what U1MB does in full. I think there was a cartridge that offered 4MB of RAM but could be mistaken. Don't think it's made any longer.  64KB is sufficient to run almost all period applications/games, but today there are some released to take advantage of much more.

Is your 800XL socketed? Specifically the OS and MMU chips. That will make your install much easier if you don't have a de-soldering gun.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sugarland said:

a nice loader menu system; hot swapable ATR disk images using the button to play multi-disk games off of hard drive;

Just to clarify - that’s only if you have a SIDE2 cartridge with its CF card-based hard disk. A bare U1MB is pretty great for all the reasons listed above, but when combined with a hard disk solution, it’s a real game-changer for daily A8 usage. I expect the new SIDE3 will be an even better companion device due to its ability to emulate cartridge devices, support mounted ATR images, and APT hard drive partitions all at once. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Crc_Error said:

I am interested in ordering the Ultimate 1Mb upgrade for my 800XL  and was just curious what the difference is between the plain model and the one with the FJC firmware is?

Feature description here:

https://atari8.co.uk/firmware/ultimate-1mb/

Also, see 'Difference between original and new firmware' on page 63 of the manual:

https://atari8.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Ultimate-1MB-Incognito-and-1088XEL-U1MB-Firmware-Manual.pdf

8 hours ago, Crc_Error said:

Also is there a cartridge based product that will do what the Ultimate 1Mb does?

It's not possible for a cartridge to provide a PORTB memory expansion, switchable ROM-based OS, PBI device driver, etc.

8 hours ago, Crc_Error said:

Whats the advantage of having the Ultimate 1Mb over a stock A8?

Extra memory, multiple operating systems, multiple 8K BASIC ROMs, built-in OS-independent high-speed SIO driver, built-in RTC, built-in SpartaDOS X, software control of stereo upgrades, VBXE decoding address, Covox, etc, ability to run SIDE/SIDE2/SIDE3 as a bootable PBI HDD... the list goes on. :)

• Like 4

I'll add my 2p, I've just installed my U1MB and it's worth every penny and Jon's GUI and its features are sublime...I have an AVG which runs as a SIDE to a degree but might in the future pick up a SIDE3..Just the U1MB alone is a MUST buy..

• Like 4

Thank you so much guys.  Love the replies and I will be getting the U1MB with upgrade firmware for sure but don't know when.  Thank you so much @flashjazzcat you are making me into an A8 junkie like I once was 30 years ago. How dare you!  Quick question is this a good stereo upgrade https://www.ebay.com/itm/324141306305?&ul_noapp=true&autorefresh=true  that will work with a future U1MB upgrade on my 800XL?

26 minutes ago, Crc_Error said:

Quick question is this a good stereo upgrade https://www.ebay.com/itm/324141306305?&ul_noapp=true&autorefresh=true  that will work with a future U1MB upgrade on my 800XL?  

I totally can recommend it. It not only gives you Stereo, but also a spare Pokey. Have it in my U1MB 800XL and so far didn´t encount any problems.

Even I´m sure, soxmexonle will find some software, that doesn´t work with it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thank you.  I am just researching on upgrading my 800XL with the proper upgrades that will work well with each other.  So far I have done the UAV and very happy with it.  I was concerned as there are very many variants of this POKEY upgrade.

1.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/PokeyMAX-chip-Atari-Pokey-replacement-100-compatible-STEREO-Ultimate1MB/324141306305?hash=item4b7853d1c1:g:hCYAAOSwCg9enW-V

2.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/PokeyMAX-chip-Atari-Pokey-replacement-100-compatible-QUAD-AUTO/223983538016?hash=item3426758f60:g:hCYAAOSwCg9enW-V

3.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/PokeyMAX-chip-Atari-Pokey-replacement-100-compatible-STEREO-plus-Covox-4ch/324141306880?hash=item4b7853d400:g:hCYAAOSwCg9enW-V

Edited by Crc_Error

It depends on what you actually need and want.

The "smallest" version already gives you Stereo and "frees" your original PoKey-chip (keep it, they´re getting more and more rare and expensive). This can be considered totally standard and will satisfy probably most needs of Atari users. You normally won´t miss anything when going with this version.

If you like to have Covox, you should consider that option.

The "big" gun is needed only, if you´re doing fancy stuff with lots of soundchannels or experimental stuff with SID emulation. So far I´m only aware of one software that can deal with more than 8 sound channels to make use of a QuadPoKey, and that is the Theta Music Composer (TMC).

As @Duddie is a forum member here too, he could give you more advice on the details.

The manual shows a connection to the U1MB but does not detail it as to where on the U1MB, is there a connection or does the U1MB just pick it up?

Ignore, can't afford it for ages yet and would I really even appreciate it.....Probably not...

Edited by Mclaneinc