IGNORED

Atari 800 dust covers in Europe?

mikesk8

Retronics (@Duddie)from Poland offers a lot of different dust covers which also come with a nice packaging. Just write to jurek@retronics or look for retronics on facebook.

Retroventure (@grey/msb) from Poland also sells them, but currently they only have the console-covers (Jaguar, VCS) on their website: http://www.retroventure.eu/en/

14 minutes ago, skr said:

Retronics (@Duddie)from Poland offers a lot of different dust covers which also come with a nice packaging. Just write to jurek@retronics or look for retronics on facebook.

Retroventure (@grey/msb) from Poland also sells them, but currently they only have the console-covers (Jaguar, VCS) on their website: http://www.retroventure.eu/en/

Thank you. I have contacted the first ones, but unfortunately they do not offer Atari 800 ones :( The only covers I have seen (and been searching) are in USA and Mexico; I would prefer to avoid paying so much for postage + delivery times.

Edited by mikesk8

47 minutes ago, mikesk8 said:

Thank you. I have contacted the first ones, but unfortunately they do not offer Atari 800 ones :( The only covers I have seen (and been searching) are in USA and Mexico; I would prefer to avoid paying so much for postage + delivery times.

I guess, due to the fact that the 400/800 were not sold very much in Europe, there is no big interest here for it. Especially Poland, where the mentioned manufacturers are located, was late to the game, starting in the mid 80s with the XE series. So their focus surely is not on the 400/800.

An alternative would be covers made of fabric, which I have several from. But I don´t remember the source for it, will try to find it again.

29 minutes ago, skr said:

I guess, due to the fact that the 400/800 were not sold very much in Europe, there is no big interest here for it. Especially Poland, where the mentioned manufacturers are located, was late to the game, starting in the mid 80s with the XE series. So their focus surely is not on the 400/800.

An alternative would be covers made of fabric, which I have several from. But I don´t remember the source for it, will try to find it again.

Indeed, all my friends in Poland had XE (few XL). Great computers :) 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mikesk8 said:

Who sells them in the USA and Mexico?  I'm in the US and I'd be interested in one.

Jim

4 minutes ago, Calibus said:

Who sells them in the USA and Mexico?  I'm in the US and I'd be interested in one.

Jim

This person on Ebay (https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/papa*nannysfunstuff?_trksid=p2047675.l2559) is recognised and I have heard the products are good quality. Another one I found is https://printerboy.net/shop/dustcover/vectrex/vectrex-dust-cover/ (was looking for Vectrex cover though).

Hijacking the topic here. I've been selling some dust covers for other machines (c64 and Spectrum next) and this caught my attention. I wonder if there is interest in similar designs for the Atari line of the computers as well. I am in Canada, so it wouldn't help @mikesk8 concerns about shipping time and costs but I could try to get some for the Atari if I see enough interest :)

Just for Reference: 

www.etsy.com/ca/listing/827635484/zx-spectrum-next-dust-cover-100-cotton

www.etsy.com/ca/listing/721885870/brand-new-dust-cover-for-the-commodore

Cheers

14 minutes ago, pedgarcia said:

Hijacking the topic here. I've been selling some dust covers for other machines (c64 and Spectrum next) and this caught my attention. I wonder if there is interest in similar designs for the Atari line of the computers as well. I am in Canada, so it wouldn't help @mikesk8 concerns about shipping time and costs but I could try to get some for the Atari if I see enough interest :)

Just for Reference: 

www.etsy.com/ca/listing/827635484/zx-spectrum-next-dust-cover-100-cotton

www.etsy.com/ca/listing/721885870/brand-new-dust-cover-for-the-commodore

Cheers

I personally would love to see some quality cloth covers for the 800 and 1200XL since they're difficult/impossible to find.  Not a fan of the printing, though, so hopefully that would be optional.

1 hour ago, jamm said:

I personally would love to see some quality cloth covers for the 800 and 1200XL since they're difficult/impossible to find.  Not a fan of the printing, though, so hopefully that would be optional.

Don´t like the printing too, but I would love to something like that for my 400, 800s and 1200XL, too.

Edit: Uh, that´s even cooler:

1 hour ago, BillC said:

Slor sells custom dust covers made by his wife, available in cloth and vinyl. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BillC said:

Slor sells custom dust covers made by his wife, available in cloth and vinyl. 

Those are awesome, but it's been 7 years since there's been a new post in that thread.  Is she still making them?

These look similar - I don't suppose this is the same person?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-400-Dustcover-Custom-Made-Red-Logo/264424568317

I contacted the person in that eBay listing. She'll make them without the embroidering, which is great, but she wouldn't make one for the 1200XL unless I sent her a 1200XL case. I tried to explain that's nearly impossible (not without risking a perfectly good and rare 1200XL).

The other issue with those covers on eBay is that they don't leave any room for cords, so they're only useful if you unplug everything from the machine (at which point you may as well put it in a box).

2 hours ago, jamm said:

Those are awesome, but it's been 7 years since there's been a new post in that thread.  Is she still making them?

The link in the post still brings up a price list. You can try contacting slor via PM, according to his profile he last logged in on May 20, or the mirrored email address on the price list.

All Atari 8-bit computers are on the list, as well as all Atari made FDD and also several third-party models. slors collection is supposed to have served as models for the covers.

Edited by BillC

17 hours ago, jamm said:

These look similar - I don't suppose this is the same person?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Atari-400-Dustcover-Custom-Made-Red-Logo/264424568317

I contacted the person in that eBay listing. She'll make them without the embroidering, which is great, but she wouldn't make one for the 1200XL unless I sent her a 1200XL case. I tried to explain that's nearly impossible (not without risking a perfectly good and rare 1200XL).

The other issue with those covers on eBay is that they don't leave any room for cords, so they're only useful if you unplug everything from the machine (at which point you may as well put it in a box).

I can tell you that is not the same person. I have some of the 1200XL covers from Slor and they fit perfectly, they also are designed to be used with the cords in place. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, orpheuswaking said:

I can tell you that is not the same person. I have some of the 1200XL covers from Slor and they fit perfectly, they also are designed to be used with the cords in place. 

Great! I sent a PM to Slor and will update here if/when I hear back.

We can certainly make covers without the print. For the Next we already have the option without. We try to make them 100% cotton or something close enough as I am not a big fan of the faux letter myself.

I am going to plan some for the 800 and 1200XL. I have all the models here, except the 1200XL. Would be possible someone here tell me the exact dimensions of the 1200XL by any chance? (or point a link with them?)

Thanks

• Like 1

Hello guys, please contact me directly, if you need any dust cover from my offer. If there is a demand for 800 or 1200XL - I can manufacture them, however, I would be glad to see a pre-order for them - to estimate if I can have balanced production cost at least. ;)

2 hours ago, Duddie said:

Hello guys, please contact me directly, if you need any dust cover from my offer. If there is a demand for 800 or 1200XL - I can manufacture them, however, I would be glad to see a pre-order for them - to estimate if I can have balanced production cost at least. ;)

I would take 1x 800 :)

21 hours ago, skr said:

I would like to buy one dust cover for the 400, two for the 800, and one for the 1200XL.

You could write a little article about the covers and possibilities to create custom ones for the ABBUC magazine.

Dust Covers with ABBUC layout would be awesome!

something for the shop?

I would be in for 1x800XL and 1x600XL

On 8/2/2020 at 11:27 AM, Duddie said:

How far are you (pre-order wise) from considering 800 cover? :)