IGNORED

My Small Gaming Collection

Hello everyone,

I thought I should show my small collection, since I am fairly new to this website. As of today, I have four Atari 2600's manufactured under Atari itself (no Sears products, except for the Tele-games game center), the original famicom and super famicom, the original SNES, an original NES, and four old computers (Macintosh SE, Commodore VIC-20, and an Apple IIE). It seems that I have more hardware than software, which is a shame. :( 

IMG_1553.JPG

IMG_1554.JPG

IMG_1555.JPG

IMG_1557.JPG

IMG_1558.JPG

IMG_1560.JPG

IMG_1561.JPG

• Like 6

On 7/29/2020 at 9:13 AM, mathflicks2901 said:

It seems that I have more hardware than software, which is a shame. :( 

Well not really. You HAVE TO HAVE some sort of base. And now that you have the hardware set up and stuff, getting the games and software should be easy and fun. Every new cart/disk acquisition can now result in hours of gaming goodness.

Collecting software can be a years-long million-dollar endeavor. If you really really get into it. Or you can just get flashcarts and drive emulators and say whambam thankyou ma'am! Or somewhere in-between..

Edited by Keatah

If you're more a gamer than a collector, I'd consider investing in SD based multicarts like a Super Everdrive for your SNES (Or SD2SNES if you want to pay extra in order to be able to play all the expansion chip games), the Everdrive N8 for the NES, the Harmony cartridge for the Atari 2600 from the AtariAge store, etc. 

A good quality multicart isn't cheap, but they open up the vast majority of a console's library. Especially these days, the value proposition they offer is difficult to beat. And while 2600 game prices remain sane it seems, prices in recent years for the NES and SNES are getting rather crazy. And locating rom sets to download isn't particularly difficult.

Of course nothing replaces the joy of using original cartridges, so I'm not advocating for using them as a replacement. Just as a supplement as you slowly grow your library, wait for the right deals to pop up, etc. They're also a great way to discover if you really want to pay the asking price for a particular game by allowing you to try before you buy, letting you demo a game on original hardware.

And especially in the case of the 2600, they also open up the ability to enjoy a thriving homebrew scene. Some scoff when it's pointed out that there are non-piracy reasons for the average classic gamer to buy a multicart. But while that's perhaps a stretch for many systems, it's very much true for the 2600 where there's literally hundreds of good homebrew games to be had (Almost all of which have been freely distributed in rom form by their authors, much unlike the homebrew scene on many other platforms).

Edited by Atariboy