IGNORED

AtariMania - New Megamania hack

Red 5

Way back in the day (over a decade ago) I made YankeeMania because I wanted to learn how to program a bit and learn how to hack images in games. People were interested and wanted a cartridge of their own so we made a few. (Also, I haven't been here for a while so if this is the wrong forum to put this, I apologize!) 

With all the extra time I have had I started digging through all of my old projects and I found a half finished game. My son (now 16) was interested and together we decided to finish it so he could learn a bit as well. After a few days we decided that it was a pretty damn good game. We changed the date from 2007 (when I started the game) to 2020 as the last edit. :) 

What is it?

It is a Megamania hack (like Yankeemania was) where you attack Atari's 'greatest hits' characters. Your 'Ship' is the Atari logo. Your lives are represented by Atari Joysticks. Atari scrolls to Mania on the bottom of the screen. 2020 appears on the bottom of the screen. During play testing we found something pretty cool. It is possible (but incredibly hard) to have a missile come down at the Atari Log Ship and slide right down between the slots of the ship and miss you. Hours of play and it happened only once when we started the game on the first level and remained still. Missile went right through. :) 

If You Want Copy of the Game:

If you are interested, PM me to let me know. If 20 people want one we will do a run of 20 cartridges and I will post something in the market place. At a later time we might do it again, but probably not anytime soon. The price would most likely be $25 + shipping to US only. No box or manual is planned this time around. Just a game with a fun label that has also not been created yet. My friend who is a graphic designer (who made the Yankeemania label) is on board to make it ASAP. 

What do we fight against this time?

• Level 1 makes your dreams come true! You get to finally destroy that horrifying evil bat from Adventure. The bats flap their wings.

1bats.thumb.png.34e74cfe87a3f019dbd1c59dbcb193c6.png

• Level 2 will have you facing Pac-Man (Pac-Men?). The mouth opens and closes in the same animation as the Atari game.

59991456_2PacMan.thumb.png.01f9a9ed8bb08df3d7574fb70350e6f1.png

• Level 3 is Frogger frogs. 

353477493_3frogger.thumb.png.f9c5167efc03fcda803cc412dc08572c.png

• Level 4 is another dream come true! Do you hate those scorpions from Pitfall? Well now you can finally blast them into oblivion.

1868945136_4scorpions.thumb.png.b0c4512544a94ac8cd0f8b16ec0d8613.png

• Level 5 is the sharks from Seaquest that harassed those poor divers.  The mouths open and close.

1694710090_5sharks.thumb.png.b1d2495bcbe51732a8b24c1d292724f3.png

• Level 6 is E.T. Yes... poor E.T.  As if  he wasn't undeservedly hated on enough. At least people can't complain about him falling into pits this time around.

1736740350_6ET.thumb.png.cc922b83241833e169a2847b8975d17e.png

Level 7 has the ships from Defender. They have learned how to fly in formation and are ready to attack. 

643327368_7spaceinvaders.thumb.png.49fe8c0e33a995620f579693a9c187ba.png

Level 8 is tumbling Asteroids. 

1138680024_8asteroids.thumb.png.8c8a245a21db3220f2a15d16781a4570.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to those who responded. 

I am going to post in the Marketplace to start a reserve list. If you sent me a PM, I will mark you down on the reserve list. If we get around 10 people on board I think we can go ahead and make carts. We are close!

Twenty will be the limit for this run. Again, not sure if we will make more.

• Like 1

I did a megamania hack a little over 10 years ago called YankeeMania. AtariMania is a sort of sequel with an Atari 2600 greatest hits sort of theme. 

I will post the .bin a little while after i ship the carts.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Red 5 said:

I did a megamania hack a little over 10 years ago called YankeeMania. AtariMania is a sort of sequel with an Atari 2600 greatest hits sort of theme. 

I will post the .bin a little while after i ship the carts.

Also post the YankeeMania .bin as well, I'm sure any baseball fans who also dig Atari would enjoy it.

DISCLAIMER: YankeeMania is not advised for Boston Red Sox fans as it may contain graphic elements ? that they (and the rest of New England for that matter) might be offended by (really? like what?), I guess they're jealous whenever they see either Monument Park or all the retired numbers in left field at Yankee Stadium or those 27 World Series pennants they've won.

This is coming from a lifelong Dodgers fan (yes I AM originally from L.A., born there in 1966, and raised there until I moved here to Port Townsend in 1987) who still remembers when Reggie Jackson lit up most of our pitchers (poor Charlie Hough was one of them) in both '77 and '78, especially those epic battles between Bob Welch (RIP) and Reggie Jackson back in '78.

Watch it and weep Red Sox fans!!!

Charley Steiner and John Sterling with the call:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/24/2020 at 9:58 PM, phimseto said:

Belatedly seeing this. Would love a copy if you have one still or do another batch. Love fun little themed hacks like this (reminds me of the Indy 500 hack).

I have the ROMs for both Atarimania and Yankeemania if you want them, unless you insist on cartridge versions, but here is my review of Yankeemania on the 2600 edition of The Atari Report.

• Confused 1

On 11/26/2020 at 10:31 PM, BIGHMW said:
I have the ROMs for both Atarimania and Yankeemania if you want them, unless you insist on cartridge versions, but here is my review of Yankeemania on the 2600 edition of The Atari Report.

@BIGHMW Do you have permission to offer/distribute these Roms publicly?

@Red 5 hasn’t even posted them and they are his creation.
Just because they were shared with you for reviews I don’t think that gives you permission to share with the world. Usually it’s the exact opposite. They are for your private use in your case the reviews.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 11/27/2020 at 12:37 AM, groundtrooper said:

@BIGHMW Do you have permission to offer/distribute these Roms publicly?

@Red 5 hasn’t even posted them and they are his creation.
Just because they were shared with you for reviews I don’t think that gives you permission to share with the world. Usually it’s the exact opposite. They are for your private use in your case the reviews.

Agreed @groundtrooper, not cool to share private game files.

I remember when I placed my preorder, @Red 5 mentioned that he would publicly release the Rom a few weeks after all the cart owners got theirs in the mail in our messages, mine arrived in November i think. I actually revisited this thread looking for an update on that and just noticed other comments asking about roms lol.

• Like 1

Here is the ROM for AtariMania.

It appears we have a few more boards and Shawn can make a limited supply of some more for those who missed out the first time around. Not sure how many we can make, so first come first served.

If you want the real deal cartridge, let me know and I will start a list. Price is $30 ($35 shipped to US)

atarimaniafinal2020.bin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3