Mac OS 8 is now an app you can download and install on macOS, Windows, and Linux

Saw this earlier today, pretty neat.  And crazy that it's all running through Javascript. :D

Yes, Apple certainly owns the rights to all their prior operating systems.  I'm sure they can squash this if they want to, we'll have to see what happens.

..Al

• Like 1

Interesting, but I think I will stick with Basilisk II for when I need to mess with old classic mac software.

Curious as to not go with the latest MacOS release (9.2.2, IIRC.)  Pretty damned neat!  Still probably cannot beat emulating Mac on my Amiga :D

(Never mind: I see 8.1 is the last 68000 version.)

What sort of performance does this provide?

Java Script is interpreted, so there would be several layers of abstraction between the Mac application and the underlying hardware.  

So... this means I can FINALLY run the Mac version of X-Wing on Windows? This makes me incredibly happy. At least it would if I still had my copy of X-Wing.

Basilisk II yo!

It's a native app! It weighs in at a fraction of the disk space, supports mac CDroms (and floppies if your machine has the drive!), can do SCSI passthrough, and all kinds of bells and whistles.  You should totally use it instead if you want to play a graphically demanding game.

On 8/1/2020 at 2:12 PM, wierd_w said:

Basilisk II yo!

It's a native app! It weighs in at a fraction of the disk space, supports mac CDroms (and floppies if your machine has the drive!), can do SCSI passthrough, and all kinds of bells and whistles.  You should totally use it instead if you want to play a graphically demanding game.

I've tried it once but got stuck in some kind of bizzare extension hell. The emulator itself was fine, just the external soft needed was causing problems.

System 7.1 (I think), has a system extension called A-ROSE that crashes the emulator. Removing it from the extensions folder fixes everything.