StickJock

New Incognito install not working

On 8/2/2020 at 3:41 PM, DrVenkman said:

@StickJock already said that if he removes the Incognito and reinstalls the stock OS and RAM boards, the machine will boot but no luck with the Incognito, even with the wires to the CPU board disconnected per @flashjazzcat’s suggestion. 

So if there are no other issues with wiring or board modifications (and there doesn’t seem to be), the only other thing I could think of was re-flashing the Incognito, but he has no way to do that, it sounds like. 

Time to contact Lotharek, I think.

Maybe I´m lost in translation (no native english speaker me is ;) ), but that´s what I meant:

Machine Boots. So if he has an AtariMax Cartridge (not the programmer, just the cartridge), he can create an ATR containing the Incognito ROM with MaxFlashStudio. Open the AtariMax Cart, replace the chip with the one from the Incognito and flash it, using the ATR with a SIO device. Only thing I don´t know is, if he has an AtariMax Cart and a SIO-Device.

I've got a working 320XE (upgraded it in the 80s), 850 interface, 1050s, as well as an SIO2PC-USB, SIO2SD & SD-Max, but no modern carts (just original Atari basic & Assembler/Editor carts).

The 800 works if I revert it back to using the original ROM & RAM cards. 

I'm really hoping that someone local will contact me and test out the Incognito card on their system so that we can definitively tell if the card is working or not.

On 8/3/2020 at 4:12 PM, skr said:

Maybe I´m lost in translation (no native english speaker me is ;) ), but that´s what I meant:

Machine Boots. So if he has an AtariMax Cartridge (not the programmer, just the cartridge), he can create an ATR containing the Incognito ROM with MaxFlashStudio. Open the AtariMax Cart, replace the chip with the one from the Incognito and flash it, using the ATR with a SIO device. Only thing I don´t know is, if he has an AtariMax Cart and a SIO-Device.

This seems like an interesting idea.  I may be able to borrow an AtariMax setup.  Does it matter which AtariMax cartridge it is?  I see that there is a 1Mbit and an 8Mbit version.  The Incognito page says that it has a 64KB Flash, which would be 512Kbit, which doesn't match either of those.  I guess that the package size & programming interface is the same for all of these?  You said that you have done this for the Ultimate ROM, which I am assuming is similar to the Incognito one.

It Has to be the 8mbit cartridge. older as the newest do not have sockets.

4 hours ago, StickJock said:

This seems like an interesting idea.  I may be able to borrow an AtariMax setup.  Does it matter which AtariMax cartridge it is?  I see that there is a 1Mbit and an 8Mbit version.  The Incognito page says that it has a 64KB Flash, which would be 512Kbit, which doesn't match either of those.  I guess that the package size & programming interface is the same for all of these?  You said that you have done this for the Ultimate ROM, which I am assuming is similar to the Incognito one.

2*512kb=1MBit. Just create a file that contains the data twice to get the right size. I´ve written the procedure down somewhere a few years ago, will search for it tomorrow. Or maybe @Yellowman remembers it, as he gave me the final hint back then.

35 minutes ago, skr said:

2*512kb=1MBit. Just create a file that contains the data twice to get the right size. I´ve written the procedure down somewhere a few years ago, will search for it tomorrow. Or maybe @Yellowman remembers it, as he gave me the final hint back then.

According to bandit, I have to use the older 8Mbit cartridge.  Are the cartridges identical except for the EEPROM installed in them?  So I don't need to make a 16x image?

The 128KByte/1Mbit CART has one plcc socket for the am29f010 chip and the 1MByte/8Mbit cart has 2 sockets, each for the 512KByte/4Mbit am29f040 chips.

So yes, use the larger cart and make a single large binary to program it with by repeating the image in a single file.