IGNORED

Console5 AV mod weirdness

Nateo

5 hours ago, Greg2600 said:

Afraid not, this was done in March 2013.  Should I replace it?

20200802-221628.jpg

That looks like the Ben Heck hack with a couple of components to attempt to compensate for the additional power draw.  Its biggest issue was that the transistor works too hard.  The new board looks like an op-amp, which the original circuit should hardly even notice, and it handles the power better.

6 hours ago, ChildOfCv said:

That looks like the Ben Heck hack with a couple of components to attempt to compensate for the additional power draw.  Its biggest issue was that the transistor works too hard.  The new board looks like an op-amp, which the original circuit should hardly even notice, and it handles the power better.

Yeap that is the Ben Heck mod on the CV there. I had that same one and the transistor got crazy hot on it. It eventually would start to fail. I then was able to get one of Yurkie's boards but removed the TRRS jack off the board and just wired from the jack connections straight to the RCA jacks I already had installed. I then just had the separate board velcro attached to the side of the case shell just outside the RF shielding and mainboard. I now currently have one of the retrofixes CV kits installed as I think they are just a tiny bit better in overall quality. I know that Mobiustech now sells their own very tiny CV composite board that you can nearly install under the RF shield itself it is so small and thin. I actually have two of those but haven't installed one of them to see if they provide any difference. I wouldn't think it would that much as most of these kits are all based on the same circuit I believe just using smaller or larger components and naturally how they have them laid out on the PCB.

On 8/2/2020 at 10:43 PM, Greg2600 said:

Afraid not, this was done in March 2013.  Should I replace it?

20200802-221628.jpg

I would replace it.  The LM318 board is a much better circuit than the Ben Heck mod.  The AV boards on Console5 are around 15 bucks or so.  If he's out then let me know and I can make a board up for you.

• Like 1

Okay, I'll consider it.  I haven't had any problems with it as yet, seems to look okay.  If I were to have it replaced, do I need anything more than the Mobius PCB?  Console5 offers add-ons like 10 uF 25V capacitor that seems to be for audio? 

20200804-165032.jpg
20200804-164955.jpg
20200804-164841.jpg

Edited by Greg2600