IGNORED

Don Doko Don 2

I have to admit, this is one of the better obscure NES games around. Hell, I'm still impressed with how Taito and Natsume were able to transition Bob and Jim from single screen arenas to the side scroller format. What are your thoughts on this NES-only sequel to an arcade game.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SlidellMan said:

I have to admit, this is one of the better obscure NES games around. Hell, I'm still impressed with how Taito and Natsume were able to transition Bob and Jim from single screen arenas to the side scroller format. What are your thoughts on this NES-only sequel to an arcade game.

Never heard of it.

39 minutes ago, SlidellMan said:

I am going to pull out my Don Doko Don pocket player and play the sequel,giving it a longer look.

Hopefully it's as fun a game as you say. Thanks for the recommendation.?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, jgkspsx said:

Is this the MyArcade device? It has both games?

Yes.

I believe it has 3 Don Doko Don games on it. I will check when I get home. 

They still have some at My Arcades website,though I know it was limited to 3,000 units.

Edited by wolfy62
Adding info.
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I got almost to the end of Sky Land. It seems rather unpolished and buggy, but it is a lot of fun, and it really does take the bobbler mechanics and enemies and translates them into a side scrolling adventure. 

The worst thing is that there is HORRIBLE screen artifacting when scrolling. I don’t see this in videos on YouTube so this is probably specific to the Pocket Player’s screen and emulator. There is some lag but it’s not too much of a problem for this or Chack’n Pop.

The Famicom port of Don Doko Don is very muted and plain compared to the hypercolor of the PC Engine version.

Chack’n Pop is a lot more detailed than the SG-1000 port I’m used to, but it’s missing a ton of content.

The Pocket Player feels solid and I like the buttons (not sold on the d-disk, but I guess it works), but the screen is awful and the lack of save states is a bummer.

It’s worth what I paid for it but I wish companies would release something other than Famicom versions once in a while. I wish we could get these games on Evercade.