IGNORED

#PimpMyTI

hloberg

https://twitter.com/TI99Stuff

on Twitter has started a hashtag #PimpmyTI. that's where I got this thing. A ti99 AS A Kerbel Space Controller.

kerble.thumb.jpg.51f5185557a67727902cfd0fb677ccc1.jpg

A this ORANGE!!!!! one. Did I mention that it was ORANGE!!!

orange.thumb.jpg.afae6e0a005d0ef940f44cdd1b9f95f1.jpg

And a little fake wood grain always improves the look of anything. NOTE: notice the cartridge adapters and multi-unit that was created for it. Oh, and I do not approve of a beige keyboard on and black/silver unit. 

mahogony.jpg.f8b266f283f9c0e687eed12a4220cca3.jpg

THIS on the other hand is a thing of beauty. One of the best looking TIs out there. What can I say, It's mine. :)

mybiege.thumb.jpg.518386546ea1c2b3fd6931133f200376.jpg

And then a TI that went totally over to the dark side:

vader.thumb.jpg.22b2a5ff7b5c8e66f966f851ba2f20db.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, hloberg said:

And a little fake wood grain always improves the look of anything. NOTE: notice the cartridge adapters and multi-unit that was created for it. Oh, and I do not approve of a beige keyboard on and black/silver unit. 

mahogony.jpg.f8b266f283f9c0e687eed12a4220cca3.jpg

Hey, I recognize that console. It was fabricated by a German user a long time ago. Note that the box with six connectors is one of several that he built, each with different cartridges inside. I ended up with several of them, along with a number of the mutant single cartridges, a couple of interesting multicartridges, and one of his modified consoles.

• Like 2

That picture reminds me.  I had no idea there are (at least) two versions of the keyboard bezel.  One with a slide-rail to hold the keyboard strip, and one in which the strip simply rests akin to the beige models.  I only recent became aware of it when I picked up a unit with the latter.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Ksarul said:

Hey, I recognize that console. It was fabricated by a German user a long time ago. Note that the box with six connectors is one of several that he built, each with different cartridges inside. I ended up with several of them, along with a number of the mutant single cartridges, a couple of interesting multicartridges, and one of his modified consoles.

cool, if still got them, take some pictures. love to see more of, whatever these where.

When people put a insane amount of crap on a TI it reminds me of when I was overseas in Navy in Philippines in 1970's and JEEPNEE cab drives.

It was a fad from the 1940's to 1980's to put as much Chrome as possible onto these cabs (jeeps) at every place that had a flat surface.

You can imagine a 1/2 ton US Jeep painted and chromed that now weighed in at almost 1.5 Tons with almost 1 ton of Chrome crap attached to it. 

You could see one for miles as it sparkled in the sun, but smoked like a steam locomotive from the work the engine was doing on even flat ground.

• Sad 2

10 hours ago, hloberg said:

you know, I come from the Atari 8-bit world a I don't remember anyone modding the case of an Atari. Seems to be a thing more here.

I think it is really a combination of two things.

1. The TI's short life and quirky architecture led to it having an unusually large percentage of enthusiast users. The kind of people who view it as a tool to be modified to suit personal tastes, inside and out.

Maybe they're just trying to fix the crappy video output, maybe they want the 32k as integral to the system's form as it is to the system's use, maybe they're through waiting for wait states. But moreso than most, it is a system that begs to be modified(and arguably HAS to be, thanks to the self-cleaning cartridge slot). And if the guts aren't sacred, why should the skin be?

2. I mean, if the flimsy aluminum trim is gonna get damaged ANYWAYS...

• Like 1