IGNORED

Wormhole 2000 (home brew) ATARI Jaguar

phoboz

20 hours ago, phoboz said:

Wormhole 2000 (home brew) for the ATARI Jaguar:

Very soon to be released on cartridge at: http://tjocktv.se/shop/

I have a thought. Would you consider changing ship style to more traditional instead of tempest like? Tempest gets enough homage. And if this is a homage to Gyrus like it seems I think it might be worth considering it letting it be its own thing. 

I will attempt to answer most of the questions above:

1. The game will be sold as a loose cartridge, I currently don't have any plans to make a box, manual etc.

2. The price range will be 25-30 EUR (~ $30-$35), plus shipping

3. It will go live within a week, or two (depending on when the parts I need to make the cartridges will arrive)

4. Currently there is no rotary support, due to some technical difficulties

5. There was no intention that the ship(s) were to look like something from tempest, someone else compared it to the "derelict spaceship on LV-426 from Alien" There is a 2 player mode, then the second player pilots a blue ship.

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Zerosquare said:

Can you tell us more? It would be sad not to have rotary support in a game that's so suited to it.

Basically the 68000 is to slow to poll the rotary controller fast enough using a timed interrupt. When enabling that game slows down to much. I guess the recommendation would be to use the DSP for this task, but the memory of the DSP is fully utilized by the sound engine (e.g. package buffering of samples that are stored in ROM)

I use a library for the graphics, sound, and input. So this is just the way the library was made.

1 hour ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Cool! I adore Gyruss. Will the game classify stages as warps (ie. "two warps to Neptune")? Andwill there be an option for the rock arrangement of the Bach piece(s) heard in the arcade original (or various ports)?

This game is actually inspired by an early Vectrex homebrew game called Wormhole. I guess that game was inspired a lot by Gyruss. There is a different plot in this game which will unfold when you reach beyond the Sun (what will happen is implied by the title of the game)

The game is feature complete, and the entire memory for a cartridge game is now utilized. (There is music by Strauss both on the title screen, and at the end of the game) You will also meet a relative to a character that some of you might be familiar with from another space shooter)

Edited by phoboz
Typo
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, phoboz said:

I will attempt to answer most of the questions above:

1. The game will be sold as a loose cartridge, I currently don't have any plans to make a box, manual etc.

2. The price range will be 25-30 EUR (~ $30-$35), plus shipping

3. It will go live within a week, or two (depending on when the parts I need to make the cartridges will arrive)

4. Currently there is no rotary support, due to some technical difficulties

5. There was no intention that the ship(s) were to look like something from tempest, someone else compared it to the "derelict spaceship on LV-426 from Alien" There is a 2 player mode, then the second player pilots a blue ship.

This is a very cool looking game. Any additional info on the content, e.g. how many waves will the complete game have? 

If  1 full rotation of the rotary won't match one full rotation of the ship, then I think it won't play very well with a rotary. I'm fine with a standards pad anyway. ? BTW the variety and complexity of the wave patterns is impressive. The bosses are also great, some nice rotation effects. Great work!

1 hour ago, agradeneu said:

If  1 full rotation of the rotary won't match one full rotation of the ship, then I think it won't play very well with a rotary. I'm fine with a standards pad anyway. ? BTW the variety and complexity of the wave patterns is impressive. The bosses are also great, some nice rotation effects. Great work!

Yes that was my fear also, because I understand the rotary has 16 steps for a full circle. The circle's angle is 256 steps, so the smallest unit you could move your ship with the rotary would be 16 steps in one go. So the game might be very hard with such precision.

4 hours ago, agradeneu said:

This is a very cool looking game. Any additional info on the content, e.g. how many waves will the complete game have? 

There are a couple of more waves, and BOSS:es from what you see in the video. There is also a shield power-up that help you on the later, more intense waves. The power-up creates a bubble around your ship. Picking up one such power-up adds 3 hit-points to your ship, so if you pick up 2 you get 6 extra hit-points etc. Note that if you collide with an enemy that has 2 hit-points, this collision will take 2 hit-points from your shield. If you crash into the brown, non-destructive asteroid, your ship will be destroyed regardless of how many hit-points you have collected.

The relative to the character (that might be familiar to some of you) from another space shooter also talks to you during the fight. So beware...live...

Edited by phoboz
  • Like 1

Looks really cool.  I look forward to the sale.

One thing that stuck out to me was the abrupt transition between planets.  Current planet disappears and new planet quickly zooms in.  It doesn't appear this was due to video editing, or am I mistaken?  If not, that's the one thing I would encourage improving: leaving the current planet with a flyby or something before arriving at the next one with the zoom in.