IGNORED

Word Templete for Cart Labels ??

KLund1

I would like to make a custom brown cart labels. Is there a Word template or some such that has the right dimensions, color, fonts for a typical brown label?

I know about the GREAT 8-bit Cartridge Label Project!

But none of those are editable.

I have several SALT and 810 carts that need labels. The old white labels have come off or are very dirty. 

If you take a pic of the labels you want, I'll do them for you.

Or you could check the cart labels link in my sig to see if I've already done them. The full size labels on my site are 1200dpi click on a label to view it, right click and 'view image' for the full size version.

19 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

If you take a pic of the labels you want, I'll do them for you.

Or you could check the cart labels link in my sig to see if I've already done them. The full size labels on my site are 1200dpi click on a label to view it, right click and 'view image' for the full size version.

Thanks,

There is no official brown label for SALT carts. I would like to make one, or several. They were Atari internal diagnostic carts. I'd like to make a brown cart label for mine.

The labels that you have done are GREAT! I'd like to be able to make similar.

DSCN4317.JPG

Edited by KLund1
add pic

I understand about a template.

I will need to supply the version numbers, and a better titles. Also some text to go over the part number what will have to come up with too. I will boot each to see what the Atari name actually is. (I cant remember each one off hand).

Give me a day to get that info and post here.

I know there are other out there with these carts. If any of you wish to offer suggestion... All would be helpful.

I am in absolutely No Rush for any labels.

Thanks

I have no reservations about sharing my templates.

Attached is a 7z archive file of a Paint Shop Pro image of a brown Atari cartridge label with the program name and CX code deleted.  The deletion was done in PSP by copying select bits of the background over the text until it was erased.  The result is a grainy color that mimicks the original cartridges.  It could use some sprucing up, but once you've printed it, it looks okay.

To add the name of the program you want, I use this site: https://www.myfonts.com/search/optima/

Optima is the font used for the original Atari cartridge titles.   The CX code was Harry Fat or perhaps Harry Obese.  The web site allows you to test sample text.  So you can select the color you want it (yellow or orange hues tend to work best) and then it will generate the selected text.  You can select right click on that and save the image to your hard drive.  The image will be a PNG file.  

I suggest you select a larger font than default.  If the text is too small it will pixellate when you resize it. 

Again I use Paint Shop Pro.  Mainly because it the program I had.  If you find something that works better please let me know.  It isn't cheap but they have a time locked free eval download.  I don't know if it locks out any functionality.

Take the text PNG files and load them into PSP with the template I gave you.  Then use PSP's "erase background" option on the PNG titles to leave just the text.   Then copy the edited PNG files and paste them as a new layer onto the template, using the resize/reposition options to place them exactly where you want them.

Once you have the finished article, you can save it as a JPG.

I use Sticker You to create the actual labels.  I select "Removable White Vinyl (Glossy)" as the material and "White Vinyl" as the format.  I always select straight cuts and try to size my labels with a border to allow for some overprint.  StickerYou has been pretty spot on for the most part but some cartridge labels (especially for the TI99/4A) have been hard to size right.  If you're only printing a handful you could even print the same label a few times and then select the one that comes out best.

Sticker You takes about 10 days to ship.

Here's a few of the labels I made for the Atari 8-bit.  You can see there is a tendency to get a noticeable white line around the edge of the label.  I use a Xacto knife when applying the label to remove any excess bits.

20200804_160550.thumb.jpg.bb06c11e66e0e1f42cf9c474db9f1a37.jpg

This is a label I made for the Sord M5 Multi-Cart.  I tried to get the quick function key reference on there but it printed too small to be readable.  To be fair Sticker You did warn the text was probably not going to be readable.  I should have make it larger.

20200804_160625.thumb.jpg.32b044f79a108203bd1fc40e97c70c0e.jpg

TI labels are a pain.  The aspect ratio causes Sticker You's program issues.   You need to make the labels much squarer, with huge matting bars, and then cut them down yourself.  The Vinyl is hard to cut, even using high-grade craft quality material cutters, so be warned and be patient.  You can also see how I didn't get all the old label goop off the shell I used for Dragon's Lair.

20200804_182540.thumb.jpg.90de7ed83ff9c6b04481bdeb2a47291e.jpg

I made this one before Felyx started sharing his efforts and Gaztee started selling official Cyrano J Jag ports in the Atariage store.  Still I was proud of how I got the overlapping layers to work with the J of Joust obscuring the bird.

20200804_160717.thumb.jpg.f35b505b4e7c8d197c683de1375a62ff.jpg

blank_cart_label.7z

So have fun.  They won't be as cool as Mr. Robot's work, but you can try out a few options and see what you think works.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, oracle_jedi said:

To add the name of the program you want, I use this site: https://www.myfonts.com/search/optima/

Optima is the font used for the original Atari cartridge titles.   The CX code was Harry Fat or perhaps Harry Obese.  The web site allows you to test sample text.  So you can select the color you want it (yellow or orange hues tend to work best) and then it will generate the selected text.  You can select right click on that and save the image to your hard drive.  The image will be a PNG file.  

Mr. Robot's work, but you can try out a few options and see what you think works.

Thanks for sharing. That is most kind of you. I too would like to see what Mr. Robot cane come up with.

The link above, at least for me, returns 75 hits for 'optima'. Which is the correct one? Also is the 'computer language' font is different? As to the CX or RX numbers?

Below are boot screen shots of the carts I pictured above left to right, down left to rigtht.

The white label shows Diagnostic Training Classroom. The single IC(not eprom) shows C19125 SALT 1.0

The second white label shows 600/800 simple salt. The eproms show S.S. 01 8/9/84 (hi, lo)

400/800 Salt II, eproms only show SL SR (salt left, salt right ??)

810 Disk Diagnostics, the eprom is a yellow sticker with 4 rows of 'x' all over it.

No label, and eproms show 2.05 low, hi

the last, lower right in my pic above, 810 Diagnostics cartridge FD100006. Whhaaoo hold on, it has a Atari label on the back i did not see. see next post.

DSCN4318.JPG

DSCN4319.JPG

DSCN4320.JPG

DSCN4322.JPG

DSCN4323.JPG

DSCN4325.JPG

That last cart in my pic above has a blank Atari Service Diagnostics Cartridge label on the back!! I can't get inside the cart without making a hole in that label.

Looking closely at it, it has the same vertical 'strippng' as most of the regular brown labels. The white area look like it is for a hand written number or name.

So decision to make;

Do we use the brown label or this silvery label? Or half and half. When did Atari switch from large black, gray, or blue software boxes to the silver? And use that a divider to match up with the dates in these carts? Is so what would a brown service label might have looked like?

What do you all think? Possibly list some additional suggestions or ideas for Mr. Robot?

DSCN4330.JPG

I don't have details for the 2.07, SS.01 or Disk Manufacturing Tests carts, have you dumped these?

If you have dumps of those, could you get the CRC32 of them and edit them with a hex editor and look for any signatures they might have in them?  Obviously sharing the dumps would be awesome but I understand if you don't want to.

I don't know why you'd want to put stickers over such rare carts!

Here are three carts, I've also added a label for SALT 2.04 (which you didn't show) just in case others are interested.

salt1.png

salt204.png

salt205.png

810.png

4 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

I don't have details for the 2.07, SS.01 or Disk Manufacturing Tests carts, have you dumped these?

If you have dumps of those, could you get the CRC32 of them and edit them with a hex editor and look for any signatures they might have in them?  Obviously sharing the dumps would be awesome but I understand if you don't want to.

I don't know why you'd want to put stickers over such rare carts!

WOW !! thanks those look GREAT !!

I will use non-permant sticker paper, so they can easily be pulled off to see the original sticker. The paper tends to cruel when printed and peeled. But put a few paper towels (to get over the cart rim ridge), and a few books, and a couple days and they stay on good. 

I would love to share the dumps, no problem, but I have not dumped the carts in question above. I thought those would have been dumped long ago. I see 2.07 Salt carts on ebay every few months. There is one up now with a strange old label.

I can dump the 2 carts I can open with my TL866. The one with the silver label, I do not know how to dump it in a Atari. Post a how to link?

On 8/5/2020 at 3:06 PM, Mr Robot said:

Does anyone else have dumps of these carts? I've seen mention of them but never got a dump

I have don't have bins but I have car images of several of them, as well as some others that I've collected over time. None of these came from any actual cartridges that I have owned.

Capture.thumb.JPG.58deed21351da80f6d825d4431072b17.JPG

Atari Diagnostic Carts.zip

• Like 1