IGNORED

Expanded Basic 3 - Resources

dhe

6 hours ago, dhe said:

Academically, it would be interesting if Classic99 or MAME supported OAMS (Original AMS Memory System) - so if you did run in to a program that says - supports AMS memory, you could run it in emulation mode to determine, if it only supports AMS (Classic ? ).

I'd bet the number of original 128K AMS cards, is probably not that much greater than real XB3 modules. I know, at about the time period those came out, there had been enough shipping delays, that a fair number of people where only willing to purchase at a fair (if the product was available to take home) or from a dealer that had an item in stock.

But thanks Adam, I wasn't only vaguely aware there was a difference between AMS and SAMS, but your summary has helped a lot!

I'm sure if any original AMS cards exist then @Ksarul will have one. Maybe I will try to implement the card in JS99er, but if would be nice to see some proof first that it does in fact enable Expanded BASIC 3 to use AMS memory for program and/or stack, which would be unique.

8 hours ago, Asmusr said:

I'm sure if any original AMS cards exist then @Ksarul will have one. Maybe I will try to implement the card in JS99er, but if would be nice to see some proof first that it does in fact enable Expanded BASIC 3 to use AMS memory for program and/or stack, which would be unique.

Oddly enough, I think I do have one. I know I have one of the SW99ers boards, several of the boards that I made as a test run with Dan Eicher a long time ago (using the SW99ers GERBERS), and several of the newer variants that I build now.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, dhe said:

Not to Hijack a thread, but whats the difference between the current SAMS and the SW99ers SAM?

I'm pretty sure SW99ers SAMS (unless there is a better title) will pass AMS Test V4 by Carmany/Harrison.

Both pass AMSTEST V4. The differences are the addition of an activity LED circuit and tabs to lock it into the PEB slot better. It also has some of the circuitry needed to expand the board to 4M, but only on the output side of the 74LS612, so that part of the change has no function yet.

• Like 2

I have my doubts that the XB3 cartridge/images has any support for AMS. If it did, why wasn't it documented in the manual? Without that, you wouldn't even know how to utilize it properly.

Maybe such code exists, but I'd be surprised if it was on the released version. Maybe a work-in-progress ROM set. Given the cartridge came out at the same time Asgard finally closed down, there was a lot of chaos going on.

I have my doubts that the XB3 cartridge/images has any support for AMS. If it did, why wasn't it documented in the manual? Without that, you wouldn't even know how to utilize it properly.

Maybe such code exists, but I'd be surprised if it was on the released version. Maybe a work-in-progress ROM set. Given the cartridge came out at the same time Asgard finally closed down, there was a lot of chaos going on.
https://atariage.com/forums/index.php?/topic/309716-Expanded-Basic-3---Resources#entry4599006

Yet

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk