IGNORED

Galactic Bearing (256bytes intro)

ilmenit

18 hours ago, ilmenit said:

256 bytes long intro from Decrunch 2020.

requires 8bit AtariXL, OS Rev 2

Code: Jakub 'Ilmenit' Debski

Music: Michal 'stRing' Radecki

https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=86555

(source code included)

Galactic_Bearing.zip 4.31 kB · 47 downloads

I wonder how good you could get something like this to look in a GTIA mode.

7 hours ago, MrFish said:

I wonder how good you could get something like this to look in a GTIA mode.

Do you mean to add more colors than 3 + background? Now it's drawing 3 rotating fractals each having 180 fixed points. For more colors we would need more fractals and for speed a custom pixel drawing procedure (now it is using slow system procedure for drawing). It would be then bigger and wouldn't fit in 256 bytes and also resolution would be worse. I had implementation first in gr.7 and the pixels were too big. Maybe I'll check it having some time.

Edited by ilmenit

1 hour ago, ilmenit said:

Do you mean to add more colors than 3 + background? Now it's drawing 3 rotating fractals each having 180 fixed points. For more colors we would need more fractals and for speed a custom pixel drawing procedure (now it is using slow system procedure for drawing). It would be then bigger and wouldn't fit in 256 bytes and also resolution would be worse. I had implementation first in gr.7 and the pixels were too big. Maybe I'll check it having some time.

Yes, I'm talking for the purpose of multiplying the amount of colors. Often, it doesn't matter that the resolution of GTIA modes are lower, because the added colors can make up for it (lots of antialiasing). In the case of your demonstration, it may not work out, given that it's circular. However, it may be possible to have an oblong shape (longer horizontally than vertically) in order to compensate.

Graphics 7 is really no comparison to GTIA modes -- other than being lower resolution -- since you gain no additional colors with it.

Even if doesn't fit in 256 bytes, it could still be interesting to see for comparison.

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 1