Jump to content
Ryan Witmer

Intellidiscs: Weekly development log

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Cafeman said:

Are you (or anyone else) working on Tron style music clips?

I'm not, but I don't know what anyone else is doing.  I usually start working on sound toward the end of a project.

9 hours ago, Cafeman said:

Also, curious, what graphics mode?

The score line on top is mode 7.  The rest of the screen is mode 4.  This is the first time I've messed with character-based graphics and I really wish I'd tried it sooner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oddly enough, in the INTV release of Dig Dug there is a hidden easter egg of a complete game: Deadly Dogs

 

They took the Hot Dog characters from Burgertime and used them in the game:

 

 

Please feel free to expand on your port (once completed) with your own twist :)           

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ryan, are the dual stick controls still being planned?  Would be really cool to incorporate that.  

Edited by phuzaxeman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, fdr4prez said:

Oddly enough, in the INTV release of Dig Dug there is a hidden easter egg of a complete game: Deadly Dogs

I've heard about this several times, but this is the first time I've actually seen it.  Not sure I have anything that cool up my sleeve, though.

8 hours ago, phuzaxeman said:

Ryan, are the dual stick controls still being planned?  Would be really cool to incorporate that.  

Yes, that's still going to be done.  I probably won't do it until I have some kind of title screen put together because I need some kind of simple menu for selecting the control mode.  The code so far was written in a way that should allow me to easily plug that in when the time is right.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an Intellivision collector and player and a Tron Deadly Discs game lover,this project definitely caught my interest!

I do have a working Atari 5200 with the dual controller holder that was made for Space Dungeon. 

I imagine that would work great for your game.

Thanks for working on this,very cool!👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still have my dual controller holder as well, I look forward to playing the finished product and reviewing it on The Atari Report, it's gonna be right up there with Space Dungeon and Robotron as far as leading the way for R & D for more dual-stick games for Big Sexy!!!

 

In that case, maybe @edladdin should work on perhaps a Super Twin 52 as well to go along with the Super Twin 78 he already has.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BIGHMW said:

it's gonna be right up there with Space Dungeon and Robotron as far as leading the way for R & D for more dual-stick games for Big Sexy!!!

This is something I talked about when the 5200 Podcast guys had me on.  I really want to make use of the things that make the 5200 special, like the trakball and the four controller ports.  Ratcatcher has a three-player mode, Curling uses all four ports in some modes and uses the analog features of the joystick.  Magical Fairy Force uses trakball control, and now I'm going for that awesome joystick coupler.

 

I think I just got the disc blocking working a couple minutes ago.  Now I need to do everything that comes after it.  That would be the disc-shattering animation and the enemy's new disc eventually showing up.  Sounds like something to do after lunch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A fine day's work.  Disc blocking is now, as far as I can tell, completely implemented.

 

I have the following working:

 

The enemy disc shatters on impact with your shield.

Points are awarded as appropriate.

A new disc eventually reappears for the enemy that lost their disc.

 

Due to the resolution limitation of the 5200 missile sprites, my disc shatter animation isn't as cool as the Intellivision's.  There really isn't anything I can do about this.

 

Tomorrow I'm planning on cleaning up a few bugs, in particular I need to deal with positioning the disc correctly when the player crouches.  After a little cleanup I'll probably make a new video.  For now, I'm going to play with my cat.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mopped up a few graphical odds and ends today, and put together this little video showing off the blocking mode:

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

very good work.

 

At the 4:23 timestamp (roughly), there is an enemy behind the player and his thrown disc goes thru the player and breaks on the blocking disc.

 

I know that this is due to the fact that your hit detection against the player isn't activated, yet, but I just wanted to point it out to you so you confirm that the player will be hit in this scenario without the enemy disc being broke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nicely done Ryan. Nicely done, I like the blocking scheme, and the effect of the disintegrating disc, hopefully soon there'll be some sound and collision detection for the player and maybe an updated ROM of it, in which I will promptly download. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice updates Ryan.  The blocking scheme looks really cool. 

 

So I went to my studio and recorded a little intro based from the theme of the movie.  Thought an idea like this would be cool for an intro music for the game.

tron theme_1.mp3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2020 at 7:07 PM, phuzaxeman said:

 

So I went to my studio and recorded a little intro based from the theme of the movie.  Thought an idea like this would be cool for an intro music for the game.

 

 How are you going to translate that into pokey music? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Cafeman said:

 How are you going to translate that into pokey music? 

That's a good question. Someone would have to show me. I don't have any experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only way I know is tedious.  I was just playing that tune on guitar today,  there are tabs for it on the Ultimate Guitar Tabs App.   It is either in Db  or Ab  in the sheet music.  What key did you record yours in?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, phuzaxeman said:

That's a good question. Someone would have to show me. I don't have any experience. 

The sound chip deals mostly in frequencies.  I found this really cool website: https://www.liutaiomottola.com/formulae/freqtab.htm

 

I used this to translate O Canada one note at a time from the sheet music for my curling game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Cafeman said:

The only way I know is tedious.  I was just playing that tune on guitar today,  there are tabs for it on the Ultimate Guitar Tabs App.   It is either in Db  or Ab  in the sheet music.  What key did you record yours in?

I transposed it to C and 4/4 meter instead of 7/8.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

This thread is what you need to map the notes to POKEY values.  But you still need a sound routine for loading notes, duration, and decay if you use it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Cafeman said:

 

This thread is what you need to map the notes to POKEY values.  But you still need a sound routine for loading notes, duration, and decay if you use it.

 

 

This is like programming stuff and way over my head lol. Best way I could do music if I created midi files and found a way to translate it to the pokey chip. I don't know if that's possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Ryan Witmer said:

The sound chip deals mostly in frequencies.  I found this really cool website: https://www.liutaiomottola.com/formulae/freqtab.htm

 

I used this to translate O Canada one note at a time from the sheet music for my curling game.

So you translated notes to frequencies.  How were you able to do the rhythms so the atari can tell a half note from a quarter? 

Edited by phuzaxeman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, phuzaxeman said:

This is like programming stuff and way over my head lol. Best way I could do music if I created midi files and found a way to translate it to the pokey chip. I don't know if that's possible. 

Actually, this is what I was wondering when I asked you how you'd translate it to POKEY.  I don't know if there is a MIDI utility to translate it to pokey chips.  There are A8 sound packages that you can devote a chunk or ROM for in your program, and use the util to compose a tune with various FX, but I've never used those either.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw my table got linked into this thread ...

 

I might be able to whip up something in a few days if you like ... there's a POKEY music routine I use which works from frequencies, channels, and note durations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, phuzaxeman said:

So you translated notes to frequencies.  How were you able to do the rhythms so the atari can tell a half note from a quarter? 

I have my own sound engine that keeps getting fancier from game to game.  The POKEY maestros would probably point and laugh at it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyway ... the sound routine I use is here ... in this example it has Galaga sound fx ... but pressing START cycles the sounds ...

 

So an explanation:

 

TUNExx is the frequency data for tune #xx

DURNxx is the duration data

 

There are channel indexes to determine which POKEY channel each tune gets played on

 

Hope this is of use

galaga-intro.asm galaga-intro.s galaga-intro.xex galaga-soundfx.asm galaga-soundfx.s galaga-soundfx.xex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...