IGNORED

JagZombies 2

WAVE 1 GAMES

Flip flopping between Fishin' Frenzy and this these days. Not a whole lot has been done yet so not much to see yet but it's coming along. Already better than it's interior predecessor.

No collision/hit detection work has been done as of the posting of this video. All hitboxes are placeholders for the moment. Mostly just been working on environments and the tone of the game so far. There will be animated head shots and fine tuned collisions this time around.

Will be cart only and possibly Jaguar GD version.

That's all the info I have for now.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

Flip flopping between Fishin' Frenzy and this these days. Not a whole lot has been done yet so not much to see yet but it's coming along. Already better than it's interior predecessor.

No collision/hit detection work has been done as of the posting of this video. All hitboxes are placeholders for the moment. Mostly just been working on environments and the tone of the game so far. There will be animated head shots and fine tuned collisions this time around.

Will be cart only and possibly Jaguar GD version.

That's all the info I have for now.

I can actually see this being really cool, but I'd love to see a light-gun for the Jaguar.

2 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

I can actually see this being really cool, but I'd love to see a light-gun for the Jaguar.

Actually what I had in mind was a dual stick arcade controller like the one for the sega saturn version of Virtual On Cyber Troopers. This would work fantastic for the games new dual shotgun mode which will put 2 crosshairs on screen at the same time via the player 2 port. I'm working with a few people to get this done at the moment but I'm not sure if it will end up being a reality or not.

Screenshot_2020-08-02-03-05-33.thumb.png.fb0263ab12242ac5a8d3e225e00de9f7.png

2 hours ago, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

Actually what I had in mind was a dual stick arcade controller like the one for the sega saturn version of Virtual On Cyber Troopers. This would work fantastic for the games new dual shotgun mode which will put 2 crosshairs on screen at the same time via the player 2 port. I'm working with a few people to get this done at the moment but I'm not sure if it will end up being a reality or not.

Screenshot_2020-08-02-03-05-33.thumb.png.fb0263ab12242ac5a8d3e225e00de9f7.png

This would be clumsy in the beginning, but I think after maybe 20-30 minutes, this could definitely work!

18 minutes ago, 7800JAGFAN said:

You could always fall back on the number pad like Total Carnage, or the D-pad on the second controller like in Llamatron, both methods work great once you adapt you right hand to play "overhand".  Also looks to be off to a good start.   

Well it will work with the Dpad on the second controller right out of the box. Would probably be an awkward play for most folks though considering how big the Jagpad is. So for Jag pads it would probably just be best to grab a buddy to help you shoot. I was trying to make something more intuitive for the 1 player experience should he choose to use dual shotgun mode. Hell even if I don't produce a twin stick for shooting the door will be wide open for Somebody else to come along later down the road and do it. That's just an extra anyway. Right now my main focus is getting this game done and making sure it exceeds all possible expectations.

Edited by WAVE 1 GAMES

12 hours ago, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

If someone has other games that support it then the purchase might we worthwhile, otherwise it look like a reasonably large object to have to store for occasional use on a single game.

So for a single player, dual shotgun option perhaps you could set the initial position of the cross-hairs of each shotgun 25% in from each edge of the screen so that each covers one half, not sure about the vertical positioning, could be level but maybe slight offset by 50% - 100% of the cross-hair size.

Have the D-pad move both cross-hairs at the same time (locked together) and firing could be either...

a) Both at the same time with a single button or

b) Independently with two buttons, i.e. A for one and B for the other or

c) I noticed the video indicating "Target Locked" so your could have either or both at fire the same time with a single button depending on which has Target Lock (no target lock fires both as penalty for bad shooting)

Maybe support all three so it is players choice via the Option menu - just a thought.

just wanted to throw this little quick update out there about some neat stuff to be included in JagZombies 2

consider it a behind the scenes sneak peak.

Clint Thompson of RISC games has been very kind and has designed the 3d model and animations for the new Batlord for this sequel. In addition to that he has also been kind enough in assisting with the new Batlord's stage as I was having a total brain fart and did not know where I wanted the final battle to take place (but knew it could not be in a cave again.) below is the new Batlord's design and the Batlord Cathedral stage:

cathedral.thumb.gif.fe60ed579fea6471f76d09670f67387f.gif346728962_newbatlord.thumb.png.0781fe47669b5e2e8cb9d86901b5d551.png

In addition to his contribution about 2 or 3 years ago Lars Hanning of Starcat DevOcean was kind enough to give me the assets files to a zombie he created for his unreleased zombie shooter. It was to be used in JagZombies 1, however was ultimately cut from the final game. The Starcat zombie will finally make his belated appearance here in JagZombies 2

starcat.gif.294df220cce54baa59a9a23c8a5438c9.gif

Also the game will feature 7 brand new stages they are:

Blood Moon Forest

Hotel Hell

Junkyard Jitters

Return To Skinwalker Ranch

The Library

Sinister Sewers

Batlord Cathedral

Most of these new levels will feature some sort of animated properties as well as scrolling and one is even a pseudo 3D style level.

So these are pretty exciting but then I thought to myself since we are doing this as a ROM cartridge that could go up to 6MB if necessary why not give the player a little something extra? So in addition to the main game's 7 new stages you will be able to play the original games 7 stages in an additional game mode called "JagZombies RELOADED". This will be accessible to the player from the very beginning at the main menu under option 4. For this game all of the old stages have been digitally enhanced with higher resolution and greater color depth than previously seen in JagZombies 1

moscow.png.f36ed9dc803614e25a6f39e2ed48ea82.png1460368519_parkingdeck.png.c3208219287ef0b5235ca7406718e376.pnggraveyard.png.4a5aeeb39abda3a7650f2f01d5a37a12.png

286439815_hauntedtraintracks.png.928815c9d871be73b9529af92eb0989b.png927475534_skinwalkerranch.png.3fd37931589d464b4ed4fb55eeea46b0.pngwarehouse.png.a3623a61c44b17a0da29aac9b592b942.png

batlord.png.696ccb1c3ffc3bfb8fdd06bf72ef3f14.png

It is still unclear at this point in development if all of the original zombies from JagZombies 1 will return for this special game mode due to space, but that is ultimately the goal. The original Batlord will also return for this mode in his respective stage, and he will be animated this time around. Again, this is just a little something extra I thought players might appreciate.

• Like 5

Well, I never bought the original JagZombies due to the youtube videos showed some bugs, but also a very short game.  However, this looks much better with the scrolling and if its longer, will make a nice "Halloween" game and I will most likely buy this time around.  Another thought, we don't have a light gun option, but Atari Age sells mouse adapters for the Jaguar, maybe mouse support?  This would really be the best way to go for accurate controls and the option is already for available here at Atari Age.  I'm keeping an eye on this one.  

3 hours ago, 7800JAGFAN said:

Well, I never bought the original JagZombies due to the youtube videos showed some bugs, but also a very short game.  However, this looks much better with the scrolling and if its longer, will make a nice "Halloween" game and I will most likely buy this time around.  Another thought, we don't have a light gun option, but Atari Age sells mouse adapters for the Jaguar, maybe mouse support?  This would really be the best way to go for accurate controls and the option is already for available here at Atari Age.  I'm keeping an eye on this one.  

Adding a mouse option is something I will look into however I have a few issues off the bat with that option.  it is to my understanding that the mouse must be plugged into controller port 2 in order to function. If this is true and not just speculation on my part, that would render dual shotgun mode useless. Dual shotgun mode requires both controllers on both ports or a custom joystick that would also use both ports.

However, this could be an additional option for the single shotgun mode for players who have the mouse. I wasn't aware that a PS/2 port mouse was available now. That is great news, I just checked it out in the store. I am curious if a PS/2 optical mouse would function with this adapter? That would be cool.

It does,  I have the adapter and use an optical mouse with it.  I can't program or create anything, so for me to suggest "hey, add mouse support" maybe out of place.  But, if it can be done.  would make a "lightgun" game fast and accurate.  I've been using a mouse for these type games on MAME and even the Snes has a new optical mouse you can use for games like Operation Thunderbolt, and T2: the arcade game.  If you don't have a light gun, this really makes these games MUCH better. The dual shotgun idea is cool, but if you can add mouse support, this game will have the best possible controls you could give it.  It my opinion, again, I can't program these things, so I can only ask guys like you to make it happen. But, if it does, I will throw money at it.  

• 4 weeks later...

I don't have much of an update to share here today but a few new things

gameplay mechanics such as collisions and zombie movements are still not set up

The work represented here in this video is mostly just graphics and the environment again.

I did add a shading/lighting effect to the zombies on stage 1 Blood Moon Forest that makes them appear to be emerging from the darkest. The further away they are, the darker they are and the closer they get to the camera here the brighter they appear.

Please ignore the audio in this recording apparently I had another open window with an Atari 2600 games marathon playing in the background and didn't realize it. All of the audio from that was captured here.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

This is a WORK IN PROGRESS video showcasing the core gameplay elements of JagZombies 2 for the Atari Jaguar console. These elements include, the shotgun, the flame thrower mechanics, the grenade toss, T.N.T. display and item pickups. In addition to these features this video is the first public reveal of stage 5 SINISTER SEWERS. Please bare in mind that the game represented here in this video is still in a work in progress state, as such you will notice both graphical and collision issues particularly in the sewer stage. These things will be cleaned up and polished shortly. If you are interested in JagZombies 2 then stay tuned. There are still a ton of incredible surprises that this game will feature including some original creatures.

Edited by WAVE 1 GAMES
  • Like 3

Parallax looks really nice in the 1st video.  In the Hotel level, is that Youtube compression weirdness going on?  it looks like the image is horizontally split midscreen and not scrolling properly?  It's like the bottom half of the frame is lagging.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Parallax looks really nice in the 1st video.  In the Hotel level, is that Youtube compression weirdness going on?  it looks like the image is horizontally split midscreen and not scrolling properly?  It's like the bottom half of the frame is lagging.

Its not a Youtube glitch. It's the game. I know whats causing it and its on my long list of things to do. Its should be a simple fix but that issue is task #39 on my list and I'm on task #9.

and no I'm not being a wise ass. I actually made a list to tackle this thing as it seems to be the easiest way to manage everything.

• Like 2

On 10/18/2020 at 8:06 PM, Stephen said:

fixed the scrolling glitch here and added a new enemy.

this turned out to be a very busy level.

Edited by WAVE 1 GAMES
  • Like 2

That "hotel" must be shaped like the Pentagon.....that's one long hallway!

The hallway seems to be moving way too fast. When the monsters are climbing "towards" you on the sidewalls, they are actually moving backwards.

It appears they can't keep up with the hallway movement???

The roaches seem to reset on every shot. Once you shoot, they go back to their original start postition which looks strange when you rapid-fire.

Edited by Machine
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Machine said:

That "hotel" must be shaped like the Pentagon.....that's one long hallway!

The hallway seems to be moving way too fast. When the monsters are climbing "towards" you on the sidewalls, they are actually moving backwards.

It appears they can't keep up with the hallway movement???

The roaches seem to reset on every shot. Once you shoot, they go back to their original start postition which looks strange when you rapid-fire.

The endless hallway was kind of the theme here so although unrealistic it was what I was going for.

We can slow the speed of the hallway down to match the oncoming zombies here, I'll try doing that next.

As for the "roaches" I assume you mean the spider with the zombie head at the begining and not the spiders that latch onto the screen? If this is what you are talking about then I'm guessing you mean the "get hit" animation that plays when you actually shoot it. His mandables are up in the air attacking then you shoot and hes standing straight. So although it's not actually resetting it does look off. I noticed that too. This will need to be replaced by a similar animation, possibly with the creature in mid-attack and flashing red.