IGNORED

JagZombies 2

WAVE 1 GAMES

2 hours ago, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

The endless hallway was kind of the theme here so although unrealistic it was what I was going for.

We can slow the speed of the hallway down to match the oncoming zombies here, I'll try doing that next.

As for the "roaches" I assume you mean the spider with the zombie head at the begining and not the spiders that latch onto the screen? If this is what you are talking about then I'm guessing you mean the "get hit" animation that plays when you actually shoot it. His mandables are up in the air attacking then you shoot and hes standing straight. So although it's not actually resetting it does look off. I noticed that too. This will need to be replaced by a similar animation, possibly with the creature in mid-attack and flashing red.

I thought it was a roach, might be a spider. In the lower right-hand corner. Everytime you shoot it triggers a "spider" crawling from the bottom right corner diagonally to the lower right side. Problem is....when you rapid shoot, the spider disappears and starts over.......  watch video at 1:22  - You rapid fire and spider diappears and warps back to the start....the spider should just keep walking off screen not disappear and re-spawn cuz you are firing too quick. Maybe make it so that animation can not be triggered until it's full cycle is complete???

5 minutes ago, Machine said:

I thought it was a roach, might be a spider. In the lower right-hand corner. Everytime you shoot it triggers a "spider" crawling from the bottom right corner diagonally to the lower right side. Problem is....when you rapid shoot, the spider disappears and starts over.......  watch video at 1:22  - You rapid fire and spider diappears and warps back to the start....the spider should just keep walking off screen not disappear and re-spawn cuz you are firing too quick. Maybe make it so that animation can not be triggered until it's full cycle is complete???

Im very confused. I was assuming you were talking about the spider with the zombie head at the begining.

When you fast forward to the 1:22 mark this is the spiders that fall from the ceiling and latch onto the screen. If you look up at the ceiling there are 3 spiders crawling accross the ceiling. Then shortly after 3 spiders latch onto the screen and slowly drain your health (Just like the AVP facehuggers) you shoot each one and they receive a bullet hole and fall downward, ie falling off the screen. This series of events I just detailed are nothing like what you just described. You MUST be talking about the giant spider with the zombie head.

So the confusion im having is why you said the 1:22 mark? The zombie head spider sounds exactly like what you are talking about (and yes its jacked up) but that's not at the 1:22 mark...

Just to clarify you are talking about the last video I posted right?

Help me out here because if you're talking about what I THINK you're talking about I can fix that, but if you're talking about the screen spiders then I'm really not sure what you mean.

7 minutes ago, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

Im very confused. I was assuming you were talking about the spider with the zombie head at the begining.

When you fast forward to the 1:22 mark this is the spiders that fall from the ceiling and latch onto the screen. If you look up at the ceiling there are 3 spiders crawling accross the ceiling. Then shortly after 3 spiders latch onto the screen and slowly drain your health (Just like the AVP facehuggers) you shoot each one and they receive a bullet hole and fall downward, ie falling off the screen. This series of events I just detailed are nothing like what you just described. You MUST be talking about the giant spider with the zombie head.

So the confusion im having is why you said the 1:22 mark? The zombie head spider sounds exactly like what you are talking about (and yes its jacked up) but that's not at the 1:22 mark...

Just to clarify you are talking about the last video I posted right?

Help me out here because if you're talking about what I THINK you're talking about I can fix that, but if you're talking about the screen spiders then I'm really not sure what you mean.

Oh....I guess they are empty shotgun shells. In any case, they disappear if you fire too fast. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Machine said:

Sorry, I thought it was a roach crawling the first time I saw it. Then I notice the ammo on the bottom and I realized it was an empty shell.....my bad.

Well in any case you caught something I missed because that was NOT on my list. I was too focused on the creatures I never even noticed that wasn't doing what it was supposed to be doing. I should be able to fix that too, its just supposed to be a simple effect of each shell flying off screen but obviously we have an issue here when you rapid fire they are wigging out.

I never noticed because I was focused on what I was rapid firing at (the spiders) so never even looked down there. I appreciate you catching that.

Edited by WAVE 1 GAMES
  • Like 1

Looks good. I would agree with slowing down the hallway affect as the scrolling goes by to quickly compared to the creatures. Makes it look more like a projected background running on a loop than part of the actual game. Maybe half the speed? I like the face hugging spiders. Does the screen flash red when they have you, or was that the zombie attacking?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tbs123456 said:

Looks good. I would agree with slowing down the hallway affect as the scrolling goes by to quickly compared to the creatures. Makes it look more like a projected background running on a loop than part of the actual game. Maybe half the speed? I like the face hugging spiders. Does the screen flash red when they have you, or was that the zombie attacking?

The screen flashes red both when the zombies hit you and while the "facehugger" spiders are on the screen

The progress with this one is looking promising Jeff, and it's great to see you diligently working through bugs and glitches to ensure the finalised game plays to a much higher standard than the first Jagzombies, whilst taking on ideas from the community and potential buyers. Your efforts will pay off in the long run I'm sure. One request if at all possible, could you include a Dawn of the Dead Romero style/homage level set in the Monroeville Mall with Penneys in the background? Perhaps the looting bikers could show up too? Or maybe recreate that scene in the Projects in the opening sequence either on the stairwell when the blue faced zombies attack, or the basement where the deceased are kept in body bags twitching away? A bonus level perhaps - try to eliminate as many corpses in body bags as possible within a short time limit whilst a horde slowly stagger towards the screen? Maybe an idea for Jagzombies 3: Console of the Dead. ? 

19 minutes ago, RetrousJag64 said:

...Maybe an idea for Jagzombies 3: Console of the Dead. ? 

Actually... Its going to be called JagZombies 3: Necro Brawl. The plan is to make an entirely different type of game. It's going to be a 2D fighting game in the style of Mortal Kombat with shooting game elements. You will select your zombie and fight head to head against a ladder of 10 other zombies until you reach the Batlord. The game will also contain a "shooting mode" similar to the first 2 games in spirit but work a bit differently. The shooting mode will be 3/4 top view (think cannon fodder or Syndicate) and you will help guide civilians to a safe point in each area  by shooting a path through incoming zombies. The reason why the plans for this game are already drawn up is because there are events that are going to take place in the final level of JagZombies 2 (the Cathedral stage) that lead up to this. I put myself in the mind of the generic zombies getting shot and realized these were just normal people who never asked to be zombies and I think that angle can be played out nicely.

So although I do appreciate your brainstorming of ideas and I will take notes on them, a very different sequel has already been drawn up.

Edited by WAVE 1 GAMES

On 10/24/2020 at 4:04 AM, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

It's going to be a 2D fighting game in the style of Mortal Kombat with shooting game elements. You will select your zombie and fight head to head against a ladder of 10 other zombies until you reach the Batlord. The game will also contain a "shooting mode" similar to the first 2 games in spirit but work a bit differently. The shooting mode will be 3/4 top view (think cannon fodder or Syndicate) and you will help guide civilians to a safe point in each area  by shooting a path through incoming zombies.

This sounds very promising. However, I am slightly concerned that you might be biting off more than you can chew, so to say.  Don't get me wrong, your releases up to this point have definitely shown promise but this us a huge step forward in complexity. 

I guess it would be easiest to mold my concerns into a question for you, how have you grown as a developer to take on a project of this caliber? And as a 2nd question are there any specific potential pitfalls you see with this project based on your past experiences. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, gummy said:

This sounds very promising. However, I am slightly concerned that you might be biting off more than you can chew, so to say.  Don't get me wrong, your releases up to this point have definitely shown promise but this us a huge step forward in complexity. 

I guess it would be easiest to mold my concerns into a question for you, how have you grown as a developer to take on a project of this caliber? And as a 2nd question are there any specific potential pitfalls you see with this project based on your past experiences. 

how have you grown as a developer to take on a project of this caliber?

Wow. First of all JagZombies 3 is only a concept drawn up on paper at this point. It hasn't been started on, but to clear the air let me elaborate.

1. I wouldn't be going it alone on the fighting game portion of the code. There is another AA member who I will leave anonymous at this time who has experience making a proven fighting game engine on the Jaguar. I have been working with him behind the scenes at trying to do some sort of fighting game on the Jaguar but up until this point haven't came up with a solid concept. This project would be the fruit of that collaboration. He has already told me that he is willing to assist in that regard so I would have reliable help.

2. As for my ability to "get the job done" Let's look at just how "complex" the fighting portion needs to be. (I'll touch on the shooting portions later on) If you have 10 characters in a fighting game let's say each character has 6 moves (just an example) that's 60 individual animations for moves. Each animation can be stored as a ROM asset and then pulled into RAM when needed to be viewed or from the players' perspective; when he or she executed their move properly. Once the animation has played it can then be kicked from RAM and be brought back again when needed. JagZombies 3 would likely need to be a 6MB game in order to hold that many animations. But pulling the necessary animations from ROM for each character in order to keep a vibrant highly animated game is well within my capabilities. I am already doing the same exact thing here in JagZombies 2. Of course collisions would also be a key factor in a proper fighting game so each character would likely need to have multiple hit boxes in order for the fighting to be fighting to be convincing and accurate. Where is my experience in that? Each zombie in JagZombies 2 actually has multiple hit boxes (I just haven't revealed that yet) The main hitbox is for the body and the secondary hit box for each character is for the head, enabling a head shot triggered animation when fired on. (again you just haven't seen it yet) So this process would then be adapted to serve as hit boxes for things such as limbs in a fighting scenario. Scrolling and animated parallax backgrounds would also be expected and as I have already proven in my many JagZombies 2 updates I seem to have the hang of that.  

3. I worked for years with M.U.G.E.N. and fully understand how a fighting game is made and how it should play. I was the original creator of the M.U.G.E.N. character Falco (from SMB) and somebody else took my character file and updated it and claimed it as their own. (but who really cares? it really belongs to Nintendo)

4. As far as biting off more than I can chew and the scale of the project, that is merely a matter of perspective. In my opinion every single Jaguar game is a huge project. There is no "easy peasy" regardless of what others have stated, so why not try and do something different and better? I am not scared of a challenge, hell it could be challenging to try and replicate something as simple as 2600 Battlezone on the Jaguar, this is something you wouldn't actually know until you sat down and really tried it. Sure you can speculate and say "no way man, that can't be hard" but you really wouldn't know until you got your hands on it and actually tried. (I don't actually think it would be, I'm just using Battlezone as an example. Stick any other seemingly simple concept of a game into this sentence)

5. You must remember that this idea is not Mortal Kombat, It is not Street Fighter, It is not Killer Instinct, and it is not King Of Fighters. It is JagZombies. Therefore it can't and won't be held up to the same expectations as those games. It won't follow the same rules and it won't play the same way. What do I mean by that? Am I just making an excuse to make the gameplay subpar? Not at all. Super Smash Bros is an example of a fighting game and it is not like those games in it's style or mechanics. it has its own flavor, it's own rules and it does not follow the standard set in stone by the others I mentioned. A JagZombies fighting game would most definitely do things differently in that regard. How much sense would it make for a zombie fighting game to have fatalities if both fighters are already dead? There would have to be an entirely different mechanic here and that is just one of the examples. To my knowledge there has never been a zombie fighting game before so in the end whatever rules and mechanics I come up with could very well become the standard setter should anyone else try this concept in the future. 

6. The shooting mode of the game. Well I think I've done enough shooting games now to be able to pull that part off. a 3/4 top view isometric perspective is simply that. A viewpoint perspective. I don't even expect making that portion of the game to be a mild challenge. So I'm not really sure why that would seem like a daunting task for me to accomplish.

are there any specific potential pitfalls you see with this project based on your past experiences. 

sure I already see one potential pitfall based on past experiences. Don't over share while in the development stages, just get it done and then share

On 10/22/2020 at 3:14 PM, WAVE 1 GAMES said:

Well in any case you caught something I missed because that was NOT on my list. I was too focused on the creatures I never even noticed that wasn't doing what it was supposed to be doing. I should be able to fix that too, its just supposed to be a simple effect of each shell flying off screen but obviously we have an issue here when you rapid fire they are wigging out.

I never noticed because I was focused on what I was rapid firing at (the spiders) so never even looked down there. I appreciate you catching that.

Dear Wave1 
Kindly check your ebay seller account on a pending order. 
thank you. 

1 hour ago, 7800JAGFAN said:

Well we are getting way ahead of ourselves here, but- if you did a fighting game, consider a Beat-em-up instead.   Maybe picture "Final Fight" occuring during a "Zombie Apocaplypse".  I think it would be much more fun, and fit "JagZombies" theme much better.   Just a thought. 

That's a very good idea. That actually could work with the story elements I have set up as well. I will definitely keep that idea at the top of the list. Perhaps that could be the main game and the shooting and 1 on 1 combat could be secondary modes.

But I agree, it's far too early to make any kind of permanent decisions at this point. Right now JagZombies 2 is being finalised and that is priority 1.

Would anyone like to lend a hand at providing a voice sample for JagZombies 2? I need a dark creepy voice similar to the voice that says "RELOAD" in the video to say "AREA CLEAR" for the end of each stage. I have tried to replicate this sound using various text to speech programs but none quite come close to what I'm looking for

• 8 months later...

No one should buy from you whatsoever.

Ordered on June 10, payed, get no response AT ALL a whole month, got my money back today by a paypal dispute.

This was my first order with them.

These guys are trash, don't buy.

Um, I don't think the game is actually out yet.  Which would likely be why you never received your game.  Have you actually been following this thread?

It’s out now.

The entitlement of video game buyers buying from independent creators is impressive. Make sure you never order from Luchsoft or Madtronix or other creators who never email and take months to ship. (And do great work that you can’t get anywhere else.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1