IGNORED

HSC17 Round 15: CONGO BONGO & JAVA JIM

Congo Bongo - 25190 pts (level 3:2)

It annoys me that the game shifts to the title screen with bugged out high score display so soon, at least in the versions I'm able to play on real hardware. I would like to take screenshots but this time I'm not really able.

22 hours ago, carlsson said:

Congo Bongo - 25190 pts (level 3:2)

It annoys me that the game shifts to the title screen with bugged out high score display so soon, at least in the versions I'm able to play on real hardware. I would like to take screenshots but this time I'm not really able.

Here's an old HSC tip: If you play on 2 player mode you have plenty of time to get it, the coconuts(?) take out pl2 after a short time each life. Often the score like that is saved to disk so if the XEX is made into a bootable disk it may work ok :)

• Like 1

On 8/2/2020 at 8:33 PM, graywest said:

The rocks can also uncover a pulsating ball of energy that will freeze you in place if it touches you, making you more vulnerable to the rocks/lava. There is also a weird frog(?) that shows up from time to time. If the frog is onscreen, you can't dig for some reason. You have to touch the frog to kill it, but only when it's green. If you touch it when it's pink, you die.

After each phase, the number of the next phase to which you travel is cycled onscreen, and you can push the fire button to pick your next destination. If the next phase matches the "bonus phase" which is listed onscreen, you'll have the opportunity to play a bonus game for more "digs". Not sure what triggers the bonus game during the level, but you are taken to a completely different screen with snakes and a red "cloud". Pick up the shovels but avoid the snakes and cloud. Jump on the concentric boxes to exit the bonus game.

Everybody probably figured this out already, but I was confused about some things when I wrote this out last week. To correct the above: what I thought was the "bonus" is actually a mini-game that you play when you run out of digs. It can happen on any level. If your number of digs goes to "0", jump in a hole and then hop on the shovels to get more. The link that Carlsson posted explains it better. I'm not sure about some of the other things in the MobyGames article though - I haven't seen an inventory or a shop, or been able to get an axe to kill the creatures. I wonder if the C64 version was slightly different?

The "Bonus on Level X" actually seems to be a bonus life that you can uncover in a pit if the number of the next level you play matches X. It's usually on 7,8, or 9 though, so good luck getting out of that stage without losing the rest of your lives. ? 

Also, the "pulsating ball of energy" or whatever it is (that freezes you in place) can be killed when it turns blue by jumping on it, or any time by luring it into a fireball from the volcano.

Edited by graywest

3 hours ago, graywest said:

I haven't seen an inventory or a shop, or been able to get an axe to kill the creatures. I wonder if the C64 version was slightly different?

Yeah, while I haven't played a lot of this game, I also haven't found these mentioned features. It would seem that the objects picked up are reset for each level anyway, and that you need more and more objects to exit the level so I don't know how the limited number of objects come into play. Since both versions of the game were concurrent, it would seem strange if one of the versions had so much added depth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MagicMarc-er said:

Still haven't gotten past level 2.

Yeah, it took me quite a while to do that as well and frankly I've only managed in one game but that time I went past the second stage twice. I still find collision detection to be rather sketchy, dunno if those who have succeeded further into the game agree or just have learned the exact right positions to jump and stand at.

BTW the VIC-20 version I played the other week doesn't have the rhino on stage 2, otherwise it is somewhat similar though even jerkier movement since it lacks sprites. Still it looks a-ok for being a VIC game, while I'm not sure the A8 version looks particularly nice for its hardware.

23 hours ago, carlsson said:

Yeah, it took me quite a while to do that as well and frankly I've only managed in one game but that time I went past the second stage twice. I still find collision detection to be rather sketchy, dunno if those who have succeeded further into the game agree or just have learned the exact right positions to jump and stand at.

BTW the VIC-20 version I played the other week doesn't have the rhino on stage 2, otherwise it is somewhat similar though even jerkier movement since it lacks sprites. Still it looks a-ok for being a VIC game, while I'm not sure the A8 version looks particularly nice for its hardware.

Congo Bongo 92,140 (8)

Yes it's about positioning and keeping your nerve, there are lots of options for jumping and climbing. I would say the collisions are pretty good, it's probably too generous if anything. Have some experimental goes, try using the diagonal jumps they can be very handy shortcuts. Have played the game a few goes nearly every day for the 2 weeks having not really played it much before, still finding things and enoying it.

1713277941_CB92140.jpg.51b10c96715b055b23f4f7253dfec5ce.jpg

Anyone not voted yet?!!

Round 16 POLL OPEN!

• Like 1

On 8/2/2020 at 11:32 AM, therealbountybob said:

Round ends Sunday 16th August at a time of unknown :-o

Well that time is now, but as I've done the dirty on deteacher with a latish score I'll extend the round and poll until 4pm this afternoon  (UK time) ;-)

Round 16 POLL STILL OPEN!

OK That's it for this roumd, with me the dastardly trbb taking the win from deteacher :evil: graywest similarly pipped me to the post snatching 1st place on Java Jim, I've got my eye on you :grin: Both games worth a play, Congo Bongo is much better than it first appears, I'm glad I put it on the list now, I always wanted to see how it fared under some serious play. Thanks for playing guys. Another good round :thumbsup: Let me know if i've missed anything.

final tables

Congo Bongo

1st   therealbountybob          92,140  12pts
  2nd   Deteacher                   90,240  11pts
  3rd   McKong                        74,000  10pts
  4th   carlsson                       31,650  9pts
  5th   graywest                     31,530  8pts
  6th   MagicMarc-er                 6,200  7pts
  7th   jblenkle                         5,100  6pts
  8th   roadrunner                    4,180  5pts
  9th   Mangia-Boy                   3,810  4pts
 10th   RedThunder                     460  3pts