IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 13 - Game 4 - Shark! Shark!

59 minutes ago, Intelligentleman said:

Yeah occasionally, after a narrow escape, my fish would accidentally clip the shark and I’d hear the “blip” sound as if I just ate something, but I could never figure out how it was happening.

How about those weird times when you bite the sharks tail and it instantly spins around, but then you somehow manage to bite its face? Any of you ever encounter that? 

i don’t think you’re actually biting the head... more like a double bite on the tail that coincides with a reversal.

Not sure I've seen that to be honest.  It could be the shark is moving fast and the system is "catching up" to what you are doing on the screen.  Just my guess though, but I guarantee mr_me will know something.  ?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Intelligentleman said:

Yeah occasionally, after a narrow escape, my fish would accidentally clip the shark and I’d hear the “blip” sound as if I just ate something, but I could never figure out how it was happening.

How about those weird times when you bite the sharks tail and it instantly spins around, but then you somehow manage to bite its face? Any of you ever encounter that? 

i don’t think you’re actually biting the head... more like a double bite on the tail that coincides with a reversal.

What's goofy to me is how the shark eats you when he's on top of you and you bump into his stomach or belly. Didn't know sharks had teeth and / or a mouth underneath them lol. ?

Sharks are dangerous and fearful enough so can we have them just use their actual mouths for the eating please....? ?

Edited by Rickster8
Wording
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Intelligentleman said:

You know what else is interesting? I'm pretty sure other fish can safely pass through the shark's tail hit-box, but they don't register a "hit" on the shark.

If that was the case, then we could just steer clear of the shark for the whole game and let the other fish do their thing, lol.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

If that was the case, then we could just steer clear of the shark for the whole game and let the other fish do their thing, lol.

I just thought it was cool that the other fish could pass through the hit-box instead of just being insta-killed for touching the shark in any place.

Edited by Intelligentleman
typo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Rickster8 said:

What's goofy to me is how the shark eats you when he's on top of you and you bump into his stomach or belly. Didn't know sharks had teeth and / or a mouth underneath them lol. ?

Sharks are dangerous and fearful enough so can we have them just use their actual mouths for the eating please....? ?

The shark is quick.  It can turn and eat a fish without you seeing.

2 hours ago, Intelligentleman said:

You know what else is interesting? I'm pretty sure other fish can safely pass through the shark's tail hit-box, but they don't register a "hit" on the shark.

The intellivision has pixel collision detection, sprite to sprite or sprite to background.  The shark looks like it's made of two sprites, front and back.  Probably the front shark sprite is programmed to register kills while the back sprite doesn't.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, mr_me said:

The shark is quick.  It can turn and eat a fish without you seeing.

The intellivision has pixel collision detection, sprite to sprite or sprite to background.  The shark looks like it's made of two sprites, front and back.  Probably the front shark sprite is programmed to register kills while the back sprite doesn't.

I knew you would chime in with your amazing knowledge!  ? 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Intelligentleman said:

Yes, I’ve seen that. In later stages... You bite his tail And you’re on his belly... he spins left-right-left and you get a nip every time while sitting on his belly.... and he kills himself. 

it happens by total fluke. I’ve tried to make it happen, but thankfully, it can’t be done on demand. Otherwise the game would be too easy. 

Like Mr. Me explained, if you’re going for that quirky kill.. if you’re 1 pixel too far to his head you lose your fish so the placement has to be Pretty exact.... and you’re both starting in motion when this happens, so it’s impossible to time it.

• Like 1

I have to maximize my score on Shark Shark ... being that I never played Pacman before :) I have the cart but I only tested it; and it was 20 years ago :) I also became pac-manned out by 1981 after playing a thousand games in the arcade when it came out! So I'll be at the bottom of the list :) . If anyone here is a devoted Intellivision Pac-Man player, my score will look silly :) ... so guys, be nice when I post my scores :) :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

I have to maximize my score on Shark Shark ... being that I never played Pacman before :) I have the cart but I only tested it; and it was 20 years ago :) I also became pac-manned out by 1981 after playing a thousand games in the arcade when it came out! So I'll be at the bottom of the list :) . If anyone here is a devoted Intellivision Pac-Man player, my score will look silly :) ... so guys, be nice when I post my scores :) :)

I'm sure you'll do just fine.  ? 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, INTELLIVISION SPARTAN said:

I am DREADFUL at Pacman. Not doing great with Shark Shark! either.... :(

Edited by Rickster8
Spelling
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, Rickster8 said:

I an DREADFUL at Pacman. Not doing great with Shark Shark! either.... :(

Here's a tip that always helps me. In the early goings, listen to the sound of the shark. That ominous fanfare that blares when he enters the screen. He will usually not change directions for at least the duration of that "chime."  From there, every time he doubles back you will usually hear a "swoosh" sound. When you hear it, you'll have roughly the same amount of time as before. You can use that knowledge to safely position yourself for multiple strikes on its tail.

Just watch out for a change in shark behavior somewhere around 30 - 40,000 k.

• Like 2

Looking forward to this one.  Also like that we have a choice of two games, and know what's coming next.

I suck at Auto Racing, and I don't have Pac-Man, so I can devote my time to Shark! Shark!

My kids love this game, so we can play two player until one of us gets bored.  ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, gar0u said:

Looking forward to this one.  Also like that we have a choice of two games, and know what's coming next.

I suck at Auto Racing, and I don't have Pac-Man, so I can devote my time to Shark! Shark!

My kids love this game, so we can play two player until one of us gets bored.  ?

I thought my son would love this game, but he has no patience for it. Or most Intellivision games. He's five, and the controllers hurt his hands. That said, they hurt mine, too. ?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, gar0u said:

I agree! It’s very helpful to have an idea of what’s next! 

49 minutes ago, Intelligentleman said:

Here's a tip that always helps me. In the early goings, listen to the sound of the shark. That ominous fanfare that blares when he enters the screen. He will usually not change directions for at least the duration of that "chime."  From there, every time he doubles back you will usually hear a "swoosh" sound. When you hear it, you'll have roughly the same amount of time as before. You can use that knowledge to safely position yourself for multiple strikes on its tail.

Just watch out for a change in shark behavior somewhere around 30 - 40,000 k.

And to get into the really high scores, you need to use the dash button constantly and get good at killing the shark while using that dash button.

• Like 1

IntyFanMatt is right. In fact I might suggest practicing using it in the early stages.

One thing that does annoy me though is that they mapped dash to the keypad, instead of one of the side buttons.

That means you have to release disc before pushing dash. This is also where momentum comes into play, a la Space Hawk.

Edit: one last thing... normally you could get around that with the dual controller approach, but if you select single player, the devs actually lock out the second controller.

Edited by Intelligentleman
  • Like 1