IGNORED

Disk drive head spring

xrbrevin

Does anyone know where i can buy a torsion spring for the read/write head of my LDW Super 2000 disk drive?

I obtained the drive as spares/repair and it did not come with one, nor the top half of the head. I managed to 3d print the head part but I still need a spring.

Although the LDW uses a Roctec mech, the 1050 spring should work but I dont want to cannibalise a working 1050.

Many thanks for any help!

I believe the drive is essentially an Indus GT.... ???  If so, then it may use the Tandon mech just like the Indus GT does.  The same Tandon mech was used in Atari 1050 drives (some 1050s used World Storage mechs... parts for that mech would be different).  So, you can buy the parts for a 1050 (Tandon mech version) from an Atari parts vendor (like Best Electronics, B&C Computervisions, etc).

If you haven't opened your drive yet, you should be able to locate the vendor of the floppy drive mechanism.  If you aren't sure, post a photo (or photos) of the mechanism here for identification.

LDW did not make their own floppy mechs.

thanks for your input.

The drive is a 'clone' of the Indus GT but not in every way. I think it uses the same ROM and PCB logic but the component layout is different and some ICs vary between them. The main difference is the drive mech. The Indus GT does use a Tandon mech - thus, a 1050 mech can be transplanted - but LDW uses the Roctec brand mech (same as the California Access CA2001 drive, which is also an Indus GT clone. see: https://atariage.com/forums/topic/228429-ca2001-g5-error-indication/?do=findComment&comment=3081976). I dismantled both of mine and took a photo to demonstrate. See below.

Unfortunately, i do not have a need to make a Best Electronics order (and we all know Brad wouldnt respond too kindly to a small international request..!). I had a look on ebay but the generic torsion springs on there look too heavy duty for this application.

I may pull apart a PC 3.5" floppy drive and see if theres anything of use dwelling within...

IMG_2128.JPG

Edited by xrbrevin
typo

Wow... never heard of Roctec. 

I think the hardest thing is going to be coming up with something that applies the correct pressure.  Too little and you could have read/write problems, too much, and it will not be kind to the media (or the drive motor and belt).

If you can't find it, if you can locate a 1050 Tandon mech, my guess is that could be transplanted until a day where you can find or make the appropriate part.  I'd say if you can determine the tension on a Tandon mech, that would be probably a safe value for the Roctec.... but you'll need to find a way to measure the pressure and modify something until it is dialed in.

Ive done this before, been stuck with a tricky repair so i created a topic. then i go on to solve it myself!!

i think just the process of putting the problem into words and listening to the responses is a massive help.

however the process goes, it ended up with a solution so many thanks to all for your input.

i cant test the drive yet tho, the 3d printer is running and its in the way of my A8..!

• Like 2

On 8/4/2020 at 7:31 AM, xrbrevin said:

thanks for your input.

The drive is a 'clone' of the Indus GT but not in every way. I think it uses the same ROM and PCB logic but the component layout is different and some ICs vary between them. The main difference is the drive mech. The Indus GT does use a Tandon mech - thus, a 1050 mech can be transplanted - but LDW uses the Roctec brand mech (same as the California Access CA2001 drive, which is also an Indus GT clone. see: https://atariage.com/forums/topic/228429-ca2001-g5-error-indication/?do=findComment&comment=3081976). I dismantled both of mine and took a photo to demonstrate. See below.

Sorry for being a little off topic ...

Were those really illegal clones with unauthorized use of Indus copyrighted ROM? Or were they just something like an Indus second brand?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ijor said:

Sorry for being a little off topic ...

Were those really illegal clones with unauthorized use of Indus copyrighted ROM? Or were they just something like an Indus second brand?

i dont know if the ROM was officially licenced to LDW and california access or not but the Indus GT diags software successfully identifies the LDW ROM as version 1.20