IGNORED

Dual channel tapes - no audio!

djmat56

Hi all. Just dug out my trusty 1010 and works right off the bat. Decided to make a copy of Lone Raider which has the music track on the left channel but when loading this music doesn't play through the Atari. I have stereo pokeymax installed with the U1mb too. Audio is connected via stereo RCA jacks out into an amp. Loading noises play fine just not anything from the audio track. Is this a result of the stereo pokey install?

4 hours ago, Nezgar said:

Hmm.. I don't see cassette audio IN as an explicit feature of either the PokeyMAX or PokeyMAX v2. Can anyone confirm if it is supposed to be supported?

Hmmm ... The OP doesn’t specify which type of machine he’s using, but I don’t think AUDIO IN goes through POKEY at all, does it? I thought it was just passed through to the audio amplifier section of the board and mixed with POKEY AUDIO OUT before the audio signal goes to the RF modulator and the DIN jack. Time to look at the schematics, I’d say.

More importantly, the OP said he’s using a copy of his original tape. How is the second audio track on a program tape laid out relative to the tape data? Is it on one of two stereo channels on one half of the tape? 

• Like 1

The audio mix with SIO audio in and the PBI/ECI audio in occurs after Pokey.  So, in conjunction with the GTIA CONSOL bit, we have 3 extra audio sources that get added.  If that circuit is replaced then obviously those things have to be picked off and added to the new output circuit.

38 minutes ago, Rybags said:

The audio mix with SIO audio in and the PBI/ECI audio in occurs after Pokey

Exactly as I thought I remembered.

So the OP needs to either try his original (not a copy) tape, or figure out why his copy only captured the data track and not the audio track as well.

On 8/3/2020 at 11:49 AM, djmat56 said:

Hi all. Just dug out my trusty 1010 and works right off the bat. Decided to make a copy of Lone Raider which has the music track on the left channel but when loading this music doesn't play through the Atari. I have stereo pokeymax installed with the U1mb too. Audio is connected via stereo RCA jacks out into an amp. Loading noises play fine just not anything from the audio track. Is this a result of the stereo pokey install?

How did you copy the tape, and after copying did you play it back as an audio tape to confirm both channels were copied properly?

It could also be a broken wire for the AUDIO-IN signal on the SIO cable, test the cable(s).

Edited by BillC

Pokeymax outputs are similar to the pokey output. ie just pokey sound without pbi, sio audio. So if connecting pokeymax outputs 3/4 directly to an rca there will be no gtia, pbi or sio audio.

On some pokeymax versions a gtia audio input is supported which is then mixed digitally.

If you’d like it then you need to mix the pokey and sio audio channels. This can be done with an op-amp circuit for instance.

• Like 1