IGNORED

How to Uninstall PCMCIA Drivers

English Invader

I bought a pre-prepared SD card that has the PCMCIA drivers pre-installed but the memory I purchased from AmigaKit won't work with the OS in the 8MB configuration if the PCMCIA is installed (serious compatibility issues with WHDLoad games).  The seller I bought the SD card from hasn't been much help and just keeps trying to palm the problem off on AmigaKit and tells me to ask them for help instead.  I've prepared my own SD card and verified that the memory I purchased from AmigaKit functions as intended without any significant compatibility issues with games when the PCMCIA drivers are not installed so I don't see how it's AmigaKit's problem.

I asked if uninstalling the drivers was just a question of deleting the files from the Devs folder but the seller just said something about having to edit the start-up sequence and add lines of code and again said it was AmigaKit's job to help me.

How do I uninstall the PCMCIA drivers?

It depends on what drivers you have installed. Driver files in Devs: don't do anything unless something actually uses them, but also you shouldn't get any issues with 8MB of fast RAM without actually using the drivers, i.e. you've inserted a card. If you don't insert a card, it shouldn't make any difference. That said, there are millions of hardware-software combinations and I certainly haven't seen them all.

If the only device you're set up to use is a PCMCIA CF card adaptor, just dragging the CF0 DOSDriver out of DEVS:DOSDrivers and into Storage should be enough to disable it. Otherwise, show us your startup-sequence and we can see what might be causing the issue, and what lines the seller might be talking about.

It's one of these issues that isn't specifically either party's fault, but the seller sounds like a bit of a dick to be honest. 8MB non-PCMCIA-friendly cards are pretty common, and it's a poor show to not foresee their use. I only use my own setups though for this very reason - so I know exactly what's in it and can easily solve issues if they crop up.

• Like 1