IGNORED

MicroCenter's flat-pack arcade cabinets

S1500

So I splurged and bought this: https://www.microcenter.com/product/611668/micro-center-3-4-size-arcade-cabinet-27---unassembled

I wanted to replace my aging Defender cabinet that never was finished, and things were flimsy with it. For $300, I figured what the heck. Barely fit in the car, and was heavy.  It's available locally. So far, so good. I haven't put it all together yet, but it is coming along nice. It goes together like anything IKEA ever made. The material is thick, and strong. Better than I would have expected. 

Some engineering work needs to be done to mount my controller boards, but doesn't look impossible. 

It even fits in where my old Defender cab was. If it was any higher(the 32 inch monitor model), it would have not fit. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been teetering back and forth with what I'd like to do for a MAME cabinet.  I'd probably just run in on a small PC or R-Pi, but not sure whether to build or buy one. I've seen some sturdy DIY designs that I guess I'd be leaning toward, because I would want it to last.  The question there is sizing the cabinet to fit whatever monitor you go with.   Also, not sure how to make modular control panels so I could pop in controls native to the game I'm playing...trackball for Missile Command, double tap buttons for Track n' Field, etc. 

I'd really love to make a cocktail cabinet, but the controls/games would be limited

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 12:16 PM, Max_Chatsworth said:

I've been teetering back and forth with what I'd like to do for a MAME cabinet.  I'd probably just run in on a small PC or R-Pi, but not sure whether to build or buy one. I've seen some sturdy DIY designs that I guess I'd be leaning toward, because I would want it to last.  The question there is sizing the cabinet to fit whatever monitor you go with.   Also, not sure how to make modular control panels so I could pop in controls native to the game I'm playing...trackball for Missile Command, double tap buttons for Track n' Field, etc. 

I'd really love to make a cocktail cabinet, but the controls/games would be limited

I've built several projects through the years, so here is the advice I would give in response to the issues you raised. 

Regarding PC vs. Raspberry Pi, to me, this is a complete no-brainer; PC all the way, unless there is a very specific reason to not use a PC.  Dollar for dollar, there is just no comparison in what you get.  A 10 year-old PC is plenty - you or a friend or relative probably have one collecting dust in a closet that will work just fine.  IMO, the only good reason to go Pi over PC is if small physical computer size and/or low power consumption are key design parameters of the project (e.g., bartop cabinet, or portable unit.)  Having a great big, full-sized arcade cabinet with all kinds of space inside and only using a dinky little Raspberry Pi makes absolutely no sense.  It doesn't even cost less.

As for modular control panels, sure, it looks great on paper to have a single cabinet where you can swap in all kinds of different fancy controls and all that, just be wary of the law of unintended consequences.  First of all, that complexity will add a shit-ton of time to the project in planning, re-working things, ironing out kinks, etc.  When you're done, you'll have a mess of different little controllers you'll have to store somewhere.  You'll quickly tire of the task of swapping them in and out to play different games, even if it's relatively simple to do. 

A good middle ground might be to make full control panels that you can swap in and out in their entirety.  This is what I did; I have 2.  The first is a 2-player "Street Fighter 2" type setup, with an additional dedicated 4-way stick and a trackball.  This is the "general purpose" panel.  Then, I have a second one with high-quality leaf-switch sticks mounted closer together for playing Robotron and other twin-stick shooters.   At the bottom of that panel I've got an Asteroids style button layout and a spinner.  In the dead space between the 2 Robotron sticks, I put 3 buttons, just so the panel would be more usable.  This works out well because even when the Robotron panel is installed, I can still play all kinds of different 8-way games (shoot 'em ups are particularly good with this panel) without having to swap the other panel back in.  So typically, even though it's a 2-minute operation to change the panels, I only swap them every few months or so to mix things up.  For a long time I had plans to build a third panel but based on the experience with having 2, I've realized that's enough - the more options I have, the less they'll get used. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2020 at 10:38 AM, S1500 said:

Couple of questions on that cabinet....

1. is the control panel cut for Japanese (Sanwa) style buttons or American (Happ/IL/Wico)

2. I notice the back is angled a funny way.   I am assuming it does not sit flat against the wall?

3. Is there room on the control panel to mount a 3rd joystick in the center, like where a trackball would normally go?  

Ideally, I would like to use MagStick Plus'es for the two main stick, and a smaller, generic stick in the center mounted diagonal for games like Q*Bert, Q*bert's Qubes and Congo Bongo.

Thanks in advance.

On 9/2/2020 at 11:07 AM, scotty said:

Couple of questions on that cabinet....

1. is the control panel cut for Japanese (Sanwa) style buttons or American (Happ/IL/Wico)

2. I notice the back is angled a funny way.   I am assuming it does not sit flat against the wall?

3. Is there room on the control panel to mount a 3rd joystick in the center, like where a trackball would normally go?  

Thanks in advance.

1. Dunno, as the buttons I got in it, I'm not sure of. It's the screw-on-nut types. The friction-mount ones I used in my previous mame cab probably were not a fit. I gave up on those

2. It should sit flat against a wall, but I never ventured it. It's a pain in the ass to move on carpet.

3. Probably a trackball, but I would have to check clearances. There's a bit of an outer lip so that reduces real estate.

Either way, I finished it last weekend. I feel accomplished. It also was a nice break from repainting the house. Added a USB port to it.

mame-cab.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, S1500 said:

1. Dunno, as the buttons I got in it, I'm not sure of. It's the screw-on-nut types. The friction-mount ones I used in my previous mame cab probably were not a fit. I gave up on those

mame-cab.jpg

Thank you for the picture.  It tells me what I need to know.  That is the Japanese style sicks.   As you can see the top and bottom screws are a lot closer together than what they are top and bottom.   Thanks again for posting it.

1 hour ago, scotty said:

Thank you for the picture.  It tells me what I need to know.  That is the Japanese style sicks.   As you can see the top and bottom screws are a lot closer together than what they are top and bottom.   Thanks again for posting it.

Adding those joysticks were not easy. The screws provided by the kit weren't exactly long enough, but still worked. You have to put the screws IN the screw holes, and then screw in from the other side(with finger pressure on the nut). So no washers, but it's holding. 

I have two joystick sets. The first set was just a thin metal plate that worked, but the second set had a better thick plastic base. 

Now only if I could have it auto-shut off the monitor on idle. 

• Like 2