IGNORED

Bert game (Atari 2600)

atari2600land

So I got a Kid's Controller a couple days ago and thought "Someone should make a homebrew that uses this." To my knowledge, this is the first truly homebrew game to use the Kid's Controller. It stars Bert of "Sesame Street" fame (I have seen Elmo in that "Peek-a-Boo" Colecovision game that's for sale in the AtariAge store.) Nevertheless, if they tell me to stop, I'll just change the characters a bit and call it "George the Guy" and do something else with it. Why? Because I want a homebrew game using the Kid's Controller. Even though it functions the same as the normal Keyboard controller. (Which I should probably need help with since I've never done it before.)

Anyway, this is the title screen:

bert7.png.76cdbe4391bb527d559bd7fb8bdf02a0.png

There's Bert's floating disembodied head. The title screen plays the "Sesame Street" theme. Pressing the reset switch (since there is no actual Fire button on the Kid's Controller) gives you this:

bert6_1.png.8fc49b54be4e27d6abc17a4f1d1238b6.png

I had no idea you could change COLUPF on the fly between a "sleep 18" statement. This took about 4 hours to make this screen, which will be where the action happens. But nothing happens yet because I just got finished with it. Doesn't look like Bert I know, but at least he has the pineapple head going for him.

bert7.zip

• Like 2

2 hours ago, atari2600land said:

How many cycles are you allowed, and is there a way to check with Stella how many you're using? I'm still new at assembly.

Looking good so far!

Keeping a steady 262 lines is a good way to make sure you don't have screen rolls on CRTs and video dropouts on modern equipment, here's a good page to reference:

- James

I sat here for a few hours trying to get the ball to appear anywhere, but with no such luck. All I want is for the ball to drop from the bottom of the pigeon and land on the brick wall. Did the programmers really have to make it THIS hard? If anyone can help me, here is the code:

bert12.png

bert12.asm

• Like 1

6 hours ago, atari2600land said:

I sat here for a few hours trying to get the ball to appear anywhere, but with no such luck. All I want is for the ball to drop from the bottom of the pigeon and land on the brick wall. Did the programmers really have to make it THIS hard? If anyone can help me, here is the code:

bert12.png

bert12.asm 30.07 kB · 2 downloads

I like what you are doing with this so far :)  Looks better with just the 3 bins, IMO. The "brick wall" kinda makes it muddy to look at VS not being there. If that is of any use to you or not. Keep up the good work, and yes that does look about as Bert as you are gonna get on the 2600.

Looks really good so far. I don't know about the brick wall, kind of like the clean bins only look.

I don't know what a pigeon would be dropping other then poop, may be better to have an airplane fly over with a parachute drop. The parachute would have a crate that breaks open when it lands to reveal the item. You could have different items that are dropped like shapes or something simple, then you could also have them drop non-colored items in the bin with the right shape on a higher level. You could use color, shape and numbers.

Update:

Bert can now move. 7 - left and 9 - right. Bert can grab the box (once it fell) with the * key. And only if he's at the x position where the box is (which took a looong time to get correct for no apparent reason other than the computer decided to hate me then.) Dropping the box in the container will use the # key. Pressing 1 on the title screen starts the game. I'd like it to be a reset switch, but it won't work. I tried importing some code but to no avail. If anyone can help me with that, I'd enjoy it. .asm is in the zip file I attached here.

The whole point of the game is the box will be a random color, and you're supposed to put the correct color box in the correct color container.

bert14.zip

Bert can now drop the items into the bins. Press # to do that. I changed the colors a little bit too. You'll get a point for doing that if you get it in the correct bin. Besides adding sfx, I don't know what to do.

And, I think it's not really a very complicated game at this point. So any way I could perhaps add something to it would be very appreciated.

bert16.zip

• Like 1

When I get done with this, I will attempt to make the "lost" Count's Castle game with everyone's favorite purple counting vampire children's character Count Von Count. The idea behind my version is this: Some items show up on the screen, and the player has to count them and then enter the number of things on screen with the keypad. Again, not a thrilling game by any means, but it's for young kids.

• Like 2

On 8/10/2020 at 4:21 PM, atari2600land said:

In the show, Bert likes pigeons, so I put in a pigeon. And the wall needs to be there for a box to fall atop.

Yes, pigeon is absolutely the correct thing to put in a Bert game. Fortunately pigeons have a reputation for carrying things.

I like the wall because it subtly reinforces that this is not a jump-over-things game.

8 hours ago, atari2600land said:

Bert can now drop the items into the bins. Press # to do that. I changed the colors a little bit too. You'll get a point for doing that if you get it in the correct bin. Besides adding sfx, I don't know what to do.

And, I think it's not really a very complicated game at this point. So any way I could perhaps add something to it would be very appreciated.

bert16.zip 35.61 kB · 2 downloads

I don’t think I want to propose anything specific, but: the old Atari Kid’s Controller games really just used that controller as a joystick substitute. What you described above mostly follows that precedent. Since you’re looking for suggestions, my recommendation is to tailor the game more to the controller you chose.

Your Count Von Count idea definitely does that.

Added sound effects. I had to work all day on it because the computer was being mean. Sometimes it screwed up the title screen even though I had no changes to it. Got rid of the thousands and hundredths digits to the score. Added a life counter back in. Will work on that some more later.

bert18.zip

Looks great so far. I posted this on the Atari 2600 Homebrew Group on FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Atari2600homebrew

Someone posted this as a suggestion.

Robbert Jansen, " Nice to see a new kids controller game!
One thing though, in the titlescreen, Bert’s mouth should be much wider, from his face’s edge to edge.
And he has a bigger nose. "

117333906_1652550284907098_8092296363626060431_n.jpg.d4a161961f6898a9493ea78521b8abae.jpg

Here is your original and one I tweaked a little.
bert18.png.49beea2dbe830cd6140631a483d33d3a.png

755712923_Bert18aTitleTouchup_1.png.9f742f78720b0d38a3e9ba23b08dab7a.png
- Changed nose color
- Changed nose shape
- Widened mouth

Here is the updated BIN:Bert18a Title Touch up.bin

Edited by neotokeo2001
  • Like 1

New changes:

• Added a lives counter. If Bert misplaces the box, he'll lose a life. If he loses all three of them, it goes back to the title screen.
  • Quieted excessively long notes in title screen music.
  • Fixed Bert's eyes
  • His unibrow wasn't uniform! Changed that as well.

bert20200817.png.80d32c2339ffebadc8dc66529708a481.png

bert21.zip

• Like 2

We'll be checking out Bert on tomorrow's (Fri Aug 21) ZeroPage Homebrew stream LIVE on Twitch at 12PM PT | 3PM ET | 7PM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 1

Weird - all my text disappeared when I posted, leaving only the screenshots and source.

Anyway I was replying to this:

On 8/17/2020 at 2:04 AM, atari2600land said:

I can't put the changes in without an .asm file.

Just load the BIN into Stella and it will begin to analyze the ROM.  Play it a bit, the more you play the better the analysis will be.  Then enter the debugger and type savedis:

Screen Shot 2020-08-20 at 3.39.51 PM.png

I didn't play much, and it created this disassembly:

Bert18a Title Touch up.asm

Inside which I can see the graphics for Bert which could be copied/pasted into your source:

Screen Shot 2020-08-20 at 3.44.17 PM.png