IGNORED

Bert game (Atari 2600)

atari2600land

I tried my hand at Bert's face as well as something looked off to me. I tried to make sure that the pixels still conformed to PF for the hair/face and the features don't overlap vertically for P0/P1.

Changes:

• Eyebrows: More curved
  • Mouth: Straighter on top
  • Eyes: Closer together and moved up
  • Ears: Lower down and smaller
  • Nose: Moved up
  • Chin: Made Shorter (could even be shorter?)

- James

bert-altered.png.70fddb89d7dc97975e261c981d501656.png

Here's the altered Bert in 1:1 pixels:

273332988_Bert-Altered-PixelArt.png.82cd083e2b37bda1508cd2a57b77ec73.png

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew

I fiddled around with the program some more. The eyes must stay as apart as they are now due to the playfield spacing. The eyes are that big to help cover up the holes Bert would have next to his eyes had they not been as big.

Still, I made a few changes to the Bert head. It seems as though everyone has their own ideas of how to draw Bert. Personally, I think the bigger ears were an improvement, so they stayed in. But here's what Bert's face looks like now:

bert20200820b.png.89b5c8a7e5d3fed33c0fc90e9a4263f8.png

I also moved the buttons used up a row since not many Kid's Controller games used the bottom row (I don't know why that is.) So now 4 is left and 6 is right and 7 is pick up box and 9 is drop box.

bert23a.zip

• Like 1

Heya @atari2600land! Not sure if you caught the stream but the 4 button to move Bert left wasn't working on my console (RGB Modded Light Sixer). 6, 7 and 9 were all working great.

I went back and checked my controller on Tap-A-Mole which uses all the buttons on the Kid's Controller/Keyboard Controller in both ports and all the buttons worked on that game on both of my controllers. I also tried my Keyboard Controller on Bert and the 4 didn't work either.

Works perfectly fine in the emulator though.

- James