IGNORED

Games that are better on the Lynx than the ST

doctor_shred

I've had an St and a Lynx since the early 90's and whilst the ST is a more "powerful" machine with a higher screen resolution I feel that several games ported to both systems look and play better on the Lynx, IMO at least.

Here are some examples:

Chip's Challenge

Klax

Xenophobe

Hard Drivin'

Maybe even Shadow of the Beast.

It shows what a powerful system the Lynx was for it's time.  Any other examples of games available on both systems that I should check out?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, doctor_shred said:

I've had an St and a Lynx since the early 90's and whilst the ST is a more "powerful" machine with a higher screen resolution I feel that several games ported to both systems look and play better on the Lynx, IMO at least.

Here are some examples:

Chip's Challenge

Klax

Xenophobe

Hard Drivin'

Maybe even Shadow of the Beast.

It shows what a powerful system the Lynx was for it's time.  Any other examples of games available on both systems that I should check out?

Of course Shadow of the Beast.:-D Te Lynx version has super smooth parallax, almost as good as the Amiga graphically.

• Like 3

I'll add Switchblade II to the list...

I enjoyed the ST version a lot but the levels are so huge so it feels more like a slow moving and drawn out Metrovania game.  The Lynx version breaks them down in linear stages that are better suited for a handheld.

Not to mention it's nice having an actual "jump button".

• Like 1

Loopz is the standout for me: HandMade Software did a superb job with the music and sound effects, and as nice as the graphics are in the ST (and now Jaguar) ports, they just don't hold a candle to the Lynx version. This is also true of Klax, where the digitized voices and sound effects in the Lynx version puts it way, way over the top of any other contemporary port, and in Xenophobe, where you can battle the Alien Queen at the end in the Lynx port -- that's the only home version that has this, no? The sfx and music in the ST port is sort of sucky too.

And S.T.U.N. Runner? I mean, c'mon. That Domark ST port is just...a choice. Some thirty years on, I don't think that there's been a better home port that's not an emulation of the arcade original. And with scaled sprites! The Lynx port is jaw-droppingly good.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2020 at 10:34 AM, Fadest said:

The Lynx has some coprocessors which help a lot. I guess it is closer to a portable Amiga rather than a portable ST, gaming side (also due to creators of the console).

Lemmings Lynx version is good (but ST/Amiga are good also)

Yes, I agree Lynx Lemmings is quite and achievement given the limited screen res.  It looks and plays great.  I feel the mouse control on the ST gives that version a slight edge IMO.

On 8/6/2020 at 10:55 AM, MrMaddog said:

I'll add Switchblade II to the list...

I enjoyed the ST version a lot but the levels are so huge so it feels more like a slow moving and drawn out Metrovania game.  The Lynx version breaks them down in linear stages that are better suited for a handheld.

Not to mention it's nice having an actual "jump button".

@MrMaddog I've not played either version I must admit.  I'll look out for them.  I like the recent Jaguar port of Switchblade though.   

On 8/6/2020 at 5:08 PM, davidcalgary29 said:

Loopz is the standout for me: HandMade Software did a superb job with the music and sound effects, and as nice as the graphics are in the ST (and now Jaguar) ports, they just don't hold a candle to the Lynx version. This is also true of Klax, where the digitized voices and sound effects in the Lynx version puts it way, way over the top of any other contemporary port, and in Xenophobe, where you can battle the Alien Queen at the end in the Lynx port -- that's the only home version that has this, no? The sfx and music in the ST port is sort of sucky too.

And S.T.U.N. Runner? I mean, c'mon. That Domark ST port is just...a choice. Some thirty years on, I don't think that there's been a better home port that's not an emulation of the arcade original. And with scaled sprites! The Lynx port is jaw-droppingly good.

I've got the Jag version of Loopz from Songbird.  Great game.  I didn't realise there was a Lynx version too.  That'll have to go on the shopping list.

Lynx STUN Runner is excellent, how did I forget that?  I've not played the ST version. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, doctor_shred said:

I've got the Jag version of Loopz from Songbird.  Great game.  I didn't realise there was a Lynx version too.  That'll have to go on the shopping list.

Lynx STUN Runner is excellent, how did I forget that?  I've not played the ST version. 

Awesome choice! The Lynx port only rates more highly for me because of the outstanding use of music and sfx during the game, which greatly enhances gameplay. It may not quite beat out Klax for the title of best Lynx game for me, but it's very, very close. 

7 hours ago, doctor_shred said:

Yes, I agree Lynx Lemmings is quite and achievement given the limited screen res.  It looks and plays great.  I feel the mouse control on the ST gives that version a slight edge IMO.

I actually prefer the Lynx version of Lemmings for a number of reasons, including how the levels are all "cut-down" versions of the original. It makes the game much less tedious to play.

• Like 1