IGNORED

The Atari 5200 and HDMI

Omega-TI

The Atari 5200 outputs RF to the TV... I'm assuming it has a built RF modulator right?  So, the signal that gets converted is not a composite signal already.. like on many other platforms?

If it is, could one simply intercept the signals going into the RF modulator that combines audio and video and channel it into one of these?

998947341_1080PUpscaler.thumb.png.b661ddabadd2e7795ba63d9b7fdd2f57.png

I mean these things are about $15.00 and would be perfect for modern TV's and monitors?  Am I missing something, or is there a project out there already that shows one where to tap the video and audio?

The main issue with devices like these is that they introduce a large amount of additional lag in the video signal due to the conversion and that is added ontop of the lag your TV would also be adding to the mix. The best solution that would look the best, would be to invest into a composite AV mod (or S-video even better) on your 5200. Then get something like the retrotink2x which, takes the composite or s-video signals from the console and line doubles them to a resolution that most modern TVs can handle on HDMI. This way no additional lag is introduced in the video signal so what you do on the controller will better match the action in real time on the display and the only lag to worry about then, is the lag your TV causes to create the digital signal from the HDMI interface.

Many of these cheaper composite to HDMI devices also may not have an aspect correction switch on them so all the games end up getting stretched out widescreen and look he worse for it. Especially on older consoles like the 5200, 2600..etc.

Another option is to spend more money and look into getting a Sophia mod installed into your 5200. That can provide you with a DVI output which can then easily be converted to HDMI with a simple adapter. But I've heard not all displays are compatible with the output from a Sophia board so there is that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Another option is to spend more money and look into getting a Sophia mod installed into your 5200. That can provide you with a DVI output which can then easily be converted to HDMI with a simple adapter. But I've heard not all displays are compatible with the output from a Sophia board so there is that.

Yes in my case the DVI Sophia wasn't compatible with my HDTV projector. I ended up using the RGB Sophia instead but ended up picking up a little signal noise from somewhere. The new Sophia version in development with user adjustable resolutions sounds promising though.

Edited by john_q_atari
Grammar

For a while, I did the 7800 s-video --> RetroTink 2x --> 4K TV. The one pain was that the RetroTink 2x had to be connected directly to the TV. It didn't work when I had a HDMI switch or home theater receiver between it and the TV.

I recently got a CRT TV. Now my 2600, 5200, and 7800 (all have s-video output) are all hooked up to the CRT. I know you didn't ask but I suggest getting a CRT TV. It's the cheaper route and the games look better (to me anyway) with no lag and no upscaling/massaging the video signal involved. My PS2 via composite even looked good. The only downside is finding space for the TV.

16 hours ago, socrates63 said:

For a while, I did the 7800 s-video --> RetroTink 2x --> 4K TV. The one pain was that the RetroTink 2x had to be connected directly to the TV. It didn't work when I had a HDMI switch or home theater receiver between it and the TV.

I recently got a CRT TV. Now my 2600, 5200, and 7800 (all have s-video output) are all hooked up to the CRT. I know you didn't ask but I suggest getting a CRT TV. It's the cheaper route and the games look better (to me anyway) with no lag and no upscaling/massaging the video signal involved. My PS2 via composite even looked good. The only downside is finding space for the TV.

That interesting information as I wasn't aware of that issue. I've mentioned it several times before but my original connection setup in my game room was that I had an older JVC SX-J700 av switcher. It only took in composite and s-video but I could connect up to 8 different systems to it at once. And this produced decent results but I did have to change the aspect on my TV all the time since the converter didn't have an option for 4:3 or 16:9 and stretched everything to 16:9. Also I couldn't get the converter to work at 1080P output through my AV receiver and could only run it at 720P. So something about the 1080P signal on that converter wasn't quite to spec I guess? 

I've taken some of that out of the mix with the JVC replaced out now with my Extron 7SC and an OSSC that everything eventually plugs into and then the HDMI output from that goes into my AV receiver without issue.

I've thought about getting a Tink2x to play with but I honestly just don't need one for my everyday setup and use. Anyone have a Tink2x Pro that can comment on this? Also, I believe @blainelocklair is using a Tink2x with his systems connected to an AV receiver and out to a 4k TV without issues? But he would need to jump in here to clarify that.