IGNORED

Kobayashi maru - box

mart

4 hours ago, Welshworrier said:

As this game is a cd release, and going to be included in the upcoming rebooted cart, why would a rom box be useful?

I don’t believe it’s ever been released officially on cart

Yeah, I'll take a Jag CD DVD style insert version of that art. If you please.

Again, a game that was never released on cart, with a box that has 100% unrelated artwork, for a title thats about to be released in upgraded form on the reBOOTed collection.

Guess I'll see this box next on Etsy when I'm reporting bootleggers.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, CyranoJ said:

Again, a game that was never released on cart, with a box that has 100% unrelated artwork, for a title thats about to be released in upgraded form on the reBOOTed collection.

Guess I'll see this box next on Etsy when I'm reporting bootleggers.

sad to see yet more negativity.....i thought your previous apology may prove a tad hollow...as I said just a bit of fun....hey ho!

18 minutes ago, mart said:

sad to see yet more negativity.....i thought your previous apology may prove a tad hollow...as I said just a bit of fun....hey ho!

It's all fun until you see people selling boxed copies of your game on etsy....  I do appreciate the enthusiasm, and if you'd made one for yourself, that would have been awesome, but by posting the files you are just assisting the scum of the hobby, unfortunately.

Sure, everyone else who wants to make a box goes 'yay' but then I'm the one having to file the takedown reports.

As a side note, these two titles are about to very soon be released again in the reBOOTed collection... I'm sure you can imagine how pleased you yourself would be if something you were about to release had boxes made for it by someone and posted online.

• Like 2

On 8/7/2020 at 4:56 AM, mart said:

sad to see yet more negativity...

On 8/7/2020 at 5:01 AM, CyranoJ said:

It's all fun until you see people selling boxed copies of your game on etsy....

@mart I share your excitement to sometimes share something you've worked on, but CJ has a point on this one.  I love to make custom labels for things, but I've held back on sharing them after I started seeing labels I uploaded here end up on etsy and ebay.  I've shared this story before, but it really irritated me when I made a friend locally who was into Jaguar and when he showed me his copy of Towers II and Zero 5, they had poor quality printed labels of the label art I uploaded on these forums.  He didn't even realize he'd bought bootlegs until I told him.  It really pissed me off that he got taken advantage of and that some dirtbag was using something I had been happy to share, thinking I was giving fellow Atari lovers nicer artwork for their Telegames Jag carts.  My work was being used to rip people off.  Yours will be too.  It's sad, but true.  ...And that's not even bringing up the other point that his games are about to be released on a compilation cart. 

I still like to make custom labels for some things, but instead of uploading the label art directly, I'll post a picture of it and if anyone wants to use it, they can PM me.  That way I'm still freely sharing my work, but it won't be found by just anyone googling for artwork to put on their bootleg crap to sell on etsy or ebay.  If it still ends up on those sites, at least I'll have a short list of people to know who's doing it.  I'd encourage you that if you want to share something like this, you consider taking a low-res angled camera pic of a printed box (or art with a nice huge ugly watermark) and letting ppl PM you if they want the full art to make one for themselves.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Swansea_Mariner said:

Share it but stick a massive watermark through it with the words reproduction or some such. 

It entirely depends on how concerned the person making the reproductions is about the quality of their product.

I used to work for a heritage organization that generated revenue by selling reprints of historic photos. If they were for "research and private study", they were stamped (directly across the front of the image) as such, and provided at a lesser price. Publication-quality prints were more expensive. (Note that this was before scanned images were the standard; these were physical 8x10 photographs.) 

At least one person went ahead and published the "research and private study" photos in his book. The not-for-reproduction stamp was very clearly visible in the published image. He simply did not care that the final product looked terrible. Customers still bought his book.  

Some years later, a newspaper reporter wanted to use photos for which the copyright/ownership was unclear. He was provided with very low-resolution scanned images and the admonition that they were not to be published. Of course they appeared in the newspaper the following day. 

The only way to ensure that nobody uses your photos without permission is to not share them in any fashion.