Rev

C|NET - Amico vs Atari VCS

On 8/7/2020 at 10:32 AM, Tavi said:

It is a good article, but the writer seems to not know that for the Amico an Android phone running the Amico app can be used as an extra controller.

So 'The Amico supports eight-player multiplayer, if you buy extra controllers.' is a bit misleading. You can buy extra controllers and they will probably be easier to use then a touchscreen app, but it is not actually mandatory.

Having a group gathering and being able to add in additional players though their own phones is quite a nice feature I think, it is a shame it is was completely overlooked in the article.

As someone who used to participate in and host a lot of group gaming nights pre-Covid, I kinda think this is going to be a feature that nobody uses.  It's a feature that sounds cool and innovative, but in a very practical sense, it won't get used.  I mean, there were other games on other consoles that did this and I can recall playing some of the PS4 games with this feature at a few gaming nights and nobody wanted to use their phones.  People will want to each have the same controller and not use a $400-$1000+ device to play console games on a television.  

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Rev said:

Is there a list available of the 75 games?  I need to update my Amico Revolution website. 

Here this is what I have. Pretty sure these are all being worked on in some fashion. The Atari games like Adventure I'm not sure about which is why I didn't include them.

"Animal fighting game"

Armor Battle*

Asteroids

Astrosmash*

Auto Racing

BackTalk Party

BINGO

Bi-Planes

Blank Slate*

Bomb Squad

Bomberman

Bowling

BurgerTime

Breakout*

B17 Bomber

Cloudy Mountain

Dolphis Quest*

Earthworm Jim*

Evil Knievel game

Farkle

Finnigan Fox*

Flying Circus

Hotwheels SideSwipers

Incan Gold/Diamint

Intellivision ACL Cornhole*

Intellivision Battle Tanks*

Intellivision MLB

Intellivision Monster Spades*

Intellivision Pool*

Liar's Dice*

Lock 'N Chase*

Missile Command

Moon Patrol: The Milky Way Chronicles*

Night Stalker*

Nitro Derby

PONG

Rigid Force Redux Enhanced

"Running man game"

Safecracker

Sesame Street game(s)?

Shark! Shark!*

Skiing*

Snafoo

Space Strike*

Telestrations*

ToeJam & Earl*

• Like 1

On 8/9/2020 at 12:11 PM, bojay1997 said:

As someone who used to participate in and host a lot of group gaming nights pre-Covid, I kinda think this is going to be a feature that nobody uses.  It's a feature that sounds cool and innovative, but in a very practical sense, it won't get used.  I mean, there were other games on other consoles that did this and I can recall playing some of the PS4 games with this feature at a few gaming nights and nobody wanted to use their phones.  People will want to each have the same controller and not use a $400-$1000+ device to play console games on a television.  

For party games, card, and other table games I can see two reasons people wouldn't want to use their phones.  The big one being battery usage, and the second being people not wanting to install the app.  I'd expect the hosts to use their phones while their guests use the amico controllers.  For games like cornhole, you only need one controller that can be shared by any number of players.

...at the risk of being attacked...

While you can question some points made, the general thrust of the article isn't really wrong.  There's no evidence there is mass support / interest for a $250 specialty game console that runs stuff that looks like "cheap phone games."1  This is the sort of article you'd see written by most people, as both the Amico and Atari VCS / Box / Whatever seem rather baffling to the outsider.

I believe that most people would assume that the Amico and Atari-thingie were closer to ATGames type mini-units than full-scale systems, and thus the price alone causes confusion.

I'm not saying this is necessarily true, mind you, I'm just confused as to why anyone would be surprised by these sorts of articles.

Note, I'm not saying that these games are cheap mobile ports, but that I can see people thinking they LOOK like them.  I feel as though any sort of mass success will be a bit of a struggle.

Edited by DavidD
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 8/9/2020 at 12:13 PM, MrBeefy said:

Here this is what I have. Pretty sure these are all being worked on in some fashion. The Atari games like Adventure I'm not sure about which is why I didn't include them.

"Animal fighting game"

Armor Battle*

Asteroids

Astrosmash*

Auto Racing

BackTalk Party

BINGO

Bi-Planes

Blank Slate*

Bomb Squad

Bomberman

Bowling

BurgerTime

Breakout*

B17 Bomber

Cloudy Mountain

Dolphis Quest*

Earthworm Jim*

Evil Knievel game

Farkle

Finnigan Fox*

Flying Circus

Hotwheels SideSwipers

Incan Gold/Diamint

Intellivision ACL Cornhole*

Intellivision Battle Tanks*

Intellivision MLB

Intellivision Monster Spades*

Intellivision Pool*

Liar's Dice*

Lock 'N Chase*

Missile Command

Moon Patrol: The Milky Way Chronicles*

Night Stalker*

Nitro Derby

PONG

Rigid Force Redux Enhanced

"Running man game"

Safecracker

Sesame Street game(s)?

Shark! Shark!*

Skiing*

Snafoo

Space Strike*

Telestrations*

ToeJam & Earl*

Thanks!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DavidD said:

While you can question some points made, the general thrust of the article isn't really wrong.  There's no evidence there is mass support / interest for a $250 specialty game console that runs stuff that looks like "cheap phone games."1  This is the sort of article you'd see written by most people, as both the Amico and Atari VCS / Box / Whatever seem rather baffling to the outsider.

I believe that most people would assume that the Amico and Atari-thingie were closer to ATGames type mini-units than full-scale systems, and thus the price alone causes confusion.

I'm not saying this is necessarily true, mind you, I'm just confused as to why anyone would be surprised by these sorts of articles.

Note, I'm not saying that these games are cheap mobile ports, but that I can see people thinking they LOOK like them.  I feel as though any sort of mass success will be a bit of a struggle.

Actually you said "cheap phone games", because the article didn't.  The article calls them "paddle games".  The article did say games will cost much less than other systems.  Now, the Amico people might be okay with the mobile game comparison because the casual gaming market they are going after is accustomed to them.  They'll use the fact that the mobile gaming market dominates video game revenues that there is a market for their games.  I can understand Amico being baffling to people who are happy with their playstation/xbox/switch; but apparently it's not baffling to retailers like Walmart who think the pricing is fine and have been asking for something like this ever since the wii was discontinued.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mr_me said:

Actually you said "cheap phone games", because the article didn't.  The article calls them "paddle games".  The article did say games will cost much less than other systems.  Now, the Amico people might be okay with the mobile game comparison because the casual gaming market they are going after is accustomed to them.  They'll use the fact that the mobile gaming market dominates video game revenues that there is a market for their games.  I can understand Amico being baffling to people who are happy with their playstation/xbox/switch; but apparently it's not baffling to retailers like Walmart who think the pricing is fine and have been asking for something like this ever since the wii was discontinued.

Well, yes, I did, if only because it seems likely that most random consumers will see the games as looking like that.  All I'm saying is that I don't see how the typical consumer won't think this is another all-in-one unit, and be very confused at the price.

As far as replacing the Wii -- if it were significantly less than the Switch, I'd understand, but it's not.  I'm struggling to see the mass market audience for this, at least at the current price point.  At $100 or less, perhaps, but it might be difficult to shave the cost down that far at first.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, mr_me said:

I wouldn't put too much weight behind the fact that Walmart is planning on carrying the Amico.  They have also embraced those 1Up cabs and the Atari VCS and any number of plug and play systems.  I mean the video games section at my local Walmart is literally stuffed with all sorts of non-big 3 video gaming devices including handhelds and mini table top arcades.  It's cool that Amico will be at Walmart too, but I wouldn't confuse that with Walmart believing that this is somehow the device that will recapture the casual market that the Wii captured.  As I've said all along, I think the Amico can succeed as a niche device, but I think the mass market is going to be far more elusive given all the challenges in the marketplace right now.   

• Like 1

I'm not saying that Walmart thinks a hundred million Amicos will sell.  Saying that they are not baffled by what it is or confused by its price and they don't think their customers will be either.  If Amico can carve a niche with young families and casual gamers that may be just fine for them. 

• Like 3

There is that word again.

Bizarre. 

2 minutes ago, IntyFanMatt said:

Ugh. From Pat and Ian too. Did you really have to post that Rev?  😊

I watched their whole analysis. Did you? 

44 minutes ago, Rev said:

Yes, unfortunately. Always a negative slant with extreme bias. Never a doubt about that too. That’s very well known about them now and has been talked about a ton in the main Amico thread. Lots of history there between them and IE, not sure if you are aware of that.  For them to outright call Tommy a "liar" in that video tells you all you need to know about them.  I mean, what is Tommy "lying" about?  And they continue to attack IE and badmouth all of the people working on the Amico as if they are all clueless.  It's ridiculous, and frankly, I find that "bizarre".  

Edited by IntyFanMatt

2 hours ago, Rev said:

There is that word again.

Bizarre. 

P in the I clowns. A couple shows back he read a single comment on youtube by some other clown filled with completely made up crap and Pat says "that's not totally unreasonable." Some fine investigative reporting there, LOL! Every Youtuber who supports the system, and there are many, are immediately called a shill. He actually messaged people Tommy was going to interview and told them if they supported the system, they were a shill. His minions still do that to youtubers covering the Amico to this day.

They are also extremely hardcore gamers, so, as Tommy has said, it's like Heavy Metal musicians reviewing Country music and most of what they say is opinion or speculation because they live in their own echo chamber. Plus, he's egotistical enough to think things in the Special Event video were done particularly for him. Dude, your not in his top three target markets. "You're so vain, I bet you think this video is about you..."

• Like 1

Figured I'd let others voice my opinion so as to avoid public ridicule by a few weirdos. They're out there! And I'm so scared! Mooommmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

On 8/9/2020 at 11:11 AM, bojay1997 said:

It's a nice idea that a $1200 fone can be used. But beyond that? I'll put the wear and tear on a $29 controller first. And yes you all want to have the same controllers.

20 hours ago, DavidD said:

Most modern indie games have that "Flash" look and feel to them. It isn't good or bad, but IMHO a cheap style.

At the same time, the price should cause a second investigative look to see "why so high".

Of that there is no question. They do look like them. It's a design style influenced by the developer toolkits. A shame. Really.

Back in the day when creativity was real creativity and innovation; developers made their own toolkits and libraries. And that's a big reason why there were so many styles of graphics.

Individual developer styles were extraordinarily diverse and really only constrained and guided by the platform hardware.

Creativity and originality took a dive when companies stated licensing out their game engines. All a new dev had to do was the artwork and plug-it-in. This notion (however lousy it is) really took off in the early PC 3D era. The Quake Engine, The Doom Engine, The Build Engine, Unreal's Engine.. and on and on. Sickening!

Edited by Keatah

1 hour ago, Keatah said:

At the same time, the price should cause a second investigative look to see "why so high".

Too give a little perspective on this, it was really a $130 system that got hiked $20 due to COVID, then there is an extra $50 controller (and $50 worth of games ($10 x 6 minus 18% profit margin) included. $130 -$150 would put the hardware in a higher quality made Ouya + online storage + interactive lighting + controller with touch/view screen + a more real company price bracket. Why not sell the $150 system with one controller and no games? It is important to Intellivision Entertainment philosophy as a family system to have it be a barrel of co-op fun out of the box and have two full controllers for co-op. It seems very important to them that there be a month or so worth of co-op gaming built in. This was also important to the people in their market research.However, basically you have your minimally operating system as it is supposed to operate for $150 + $100 required extras. If you pre-order from Fig, I think you have the $15 gift card, as well, so that's $135 + $115 in required extras. I mean, you could probably sell one controller and the gift card on eBay for $70 - $75. Point is, the base system would not be a bad deal as far as I can see.

• Like 1

I try not to think of pricing this far ahead of release. 8-months now. The console must hit the store shelves, then I can make a decision then!

14 hours ago, Keatah said:

I try not to think of pricing this far ahead of release. 8-months now. The console must hit the store shelves, then I can make a decision then!

Fair enough, but there's your investigation into the high cost. You’re welcome!

3 hours ago, Rev said:

Did you find anything meaningful?

2 hours ago, Keatah said:

It's a nice idea that a $1200 fone can be used. But beyond that? I'll put the wear and tear on a $29 controller first. And yes you all want to have the same controllers.

Doesn't have to be a $1200 phone; any compatible cheap phone or tablet would work.  People use their phones to play games all the time, why wouldn't they do that when visiting friends.  And we are talking about cards and other casual games; for action games you'd want to use a real amico controller.

1 hour ago, Swami said:

Too give a little perspective on this, it was really a $130 system that got hiked $20 due to COVID, then there is an extra $50 controller (and $50 worth of games ($10 x 6 minus 18% profit margin) included. $130 -$150 would put the hardware in a higher quality made Ouya + online storage + interactive lighting + controller with touch/view screen + a more real company price bracket. Why not sell the $150 system with one controller and no games? It is important to Intellivision Entertainment philosophy as a family system to have it be a barrel of co-op fun out of the box and have two full controllers for co-op. It seems very important to them that there be a month or so worth of co-op gaming built in. This was also important to the people in their market research.However, basically you have your minimally operating system as it is supposed to operate for $150 + $100 required extras. If you pre-order from Fig, I think you have the $15 gift card, as well, so that's $135 + $115 in required extras. I mean, you could probably sell one controller and the gift card on eBay for $70 - $75. Point is, the base system would not be a bad deal as far as I can see.

... again, while I'm not saying there isn't a logic to the pricing, I'm not sure that we're seeing "mass" appeal with the current pricing.  At $100-ish I could possibly see a market as a self-contained family game night thing.  Right now, though, it's about the same price as a Switch without the Switch's generally appealing software.  Yes, it comes with games and two controllers with screens, but...

I mean, this could do well.  It's always possible.  I kind of feel as though what they need to do is sell it as something other than a video game system, though... sort of like how the Wii sold to tons of folks as a bowling simulator.

Edited by DavidD
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Did you find anything meaningful?

Sure. On both sides of the aisle. 

36 minutes ago, DavidD said:

... again, while I'm not saying there isn't a logic to the pricing, I'm not sure that we're seeing "mass" appeal with the current pricing.  At $100-ish I could possibly see a market as a self-contained family game night thing.  Right now, though, it's about the same price as a Switch without the Switch's generally appealing software.  Yes, it comes with games and two controllers with screens, but...

I mean, this could do well.  It's always possible.  I kind of feel as though what they need to do is sell it as something other than a video game system, though... sort of like how the Wii sold to tons of folks as a bowling simulator.

You can speculate on the world market based on your and some gamers' opinions, while the Intellivision videos consistently show about a 9:1 like to dislike ratio*, but time will tell.

* Except for the more hardcore gamer focused EWJ4, which is like 2:1.

19 minutes ago, Rev said:

Like what?

29 minutes ago, DavidD said:

...  I kind of feel as though what they need to do is sell it as something other than a video game system, though...

Electronic board games?  It will be interesting to see how they market this thing.

4 minutes ago, mr_me said:

Electronic board games?  It will be interesting to see how they market this thing.

It's less "they'd be successful if they do this" and more "the only way I can possibly see this not failing utterly is if they create a market for electronic board games."

Granted, I could be wrong, but at least this thing sounds like it will actually get released, which puts it ahead of the Atari thing!

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Rev said:

They had absolutely nothing positive to say about the Amico and their presentation last week. The entire video was Pat and Ian bashing IE non-stop and insulting the hard working employees at IE because of their bias and past history against Tommy. No idea where you saw or heard info from “both sides of the isle.”  That just doesn’t make sense at all.